General Chat

Stevo985

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone got an Induction hob? Our gas hob is reaching end of life and Mrs Sidcow seems keen as am I to go electric.  I've heard mixed reviews though but in my experience a lot of people have agenda's when talking about electric tech.  Would like to hear from someone who actually uses one. 

Cooking wise, it's easier to to go from gas to Induction and vice versa as the temperature control works in roughly the same manner. Going from a electric heater you have to factor in the lingering heat in the plate.

Aluminum pans wont work.

Boiling water goes fast as heck.

I like it

Edited by Tegis
  • Thanks 1

On 28/06/2023 at 08:08, leemond2008 said:

14 days still positive now, feeling a little better but still constantly fatigued and having to log off from work and put myself to bed multiple times a day, concentration levels are zero, still got a cough and still feel like I've got a really bad head cold.

Called the quacks yesterday and he's prescribed me some antibiotics (not sure what they'll do) and he said that if I'm still struggling in 3 or 4 weeks then they'll get me looked at for long covid.

15 days still positive - feeling quite a bit better today though, my chest has finally loosened off and I'm coughing up loads of shite which feels good (if not painful) voice still sounds fooked mind, I had a grand total of 3 hours worth of naps throughout the day yesterday, I'm hoping that I am able to keep from having to do that today.

All in all I'd say I'm about 65/70% recovered 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

15 days still positive - feeling quite a bit better today though, my chest has finally loosened off and I'm coughing up loads of shite which feels good (if not painful) voice still sounds fooked mind, I had a grand total of 3 hours worth of naps throughout the day yesterday, I'm hoping that I am able to keep from having to do that today.

That sounds about 100% recovered for me 😀

Glad you're feeling better 

Edited by sidcow

20 hours ago, Anthony said:

I had vegan chicken in breadcrumb burger things for lunch. Tasted OK. Dreading the farts.

I didn't buy them myself FWIW.

I would like to apologise: I meant to post this in the boring thread, because it is very boring indeed. And I was bored.

20 hours ago, Anthony said:

I had vegan chicken in breadcrumb burger things for lunch. Tasted OK. Dreading the farts.

I didn't buy them myself FWIW.

I once had one of them vegan sausage rolls from Gregs, I was rushing back to work on my lunch and they didn't have any sausage rolls, steak beaks, nothing, so I ended up just getting one of them out of desperation.

It was alright, it didn't taste offensive...it didn't actually taste of anything, I remember that there was a big fuss about them when they first came out like it was some amazing alternative...nope, give me an old pig instead of a plant version any day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Hope you get better soon and that you can still manage to be 'positive' about everything. 

spacer.png

Great aspartame to be labelled a potential cancer risk by WHO.

No more diet sodas then ffs as i love a little pepsi max ive probably damaged my body so much already now

Edited by Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Great aspartame to be labelled a potential cancer risk by WHO.

No more diet sodas then ffs as i love a little pepsi max ive probably damaged my body so much already now

It's going to be labelled "possibly carcinogenic". Which basically means they don't know.

Other "possibly carcinogenic" things include Aloe Vera and pickled vegetables.

For perspectvie, Bacon is also "possibly carcinogenic". But the research says that if you gave 100 people 50g extra bacon a day on top of what they already eat, every day for the rest of their lives, ONE of those people would get cancer.

So yeah, chances are the risks are either non existent or negligible.

If it gets upgraded to "probably carcinogenic" then that's when you should start avoiding it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's going to be labelled "possibly carcinogenic". Which basically means they don't know.

Other "possibly carcinogenic" things include Aloe Vera and pickled vegetables.

For perspectvie, Bacon is also "possibly carcinogenic". But the research says that if you gave 100 people 50g extra bacon a day on top of what they already eat, every day for the rest of their lives, ONE of those people would get cancer.

So yeah, chances are the risks are either non existent or negligible.

If it gets upgraded to "probably carcinogenic" then that's when you should start avoiding it

Thanks

Its abit confusing the way they labelling it. I mean to be on safe side ill probably just limit when i have big cut down.

Processed meats like bacon (poor quality meat) probably will give you issues. I use to get PR bleeding from the rectum in my younger days as i use to eat a lot of fry ups and sausages (shit stuff) since i stopped eating that i dont get it anymore so im convinced in my own case that was the reason.

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is there anything that isn't possibly carcinogenic?

Have they actually ever ruled out a substance or product as absolutely not carcinogenic?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is there anything that isn't possibly carcinogenic?

Have they actually ever ruled out a substance or product as absolutely not carcinogenic?

Water? But then they say the drinking out of plastic water is damaging to your health. Dont think anything is safe unless you grow everything yourself so you know what your eating 

All of the aspartame studies that have been done are either laughably bad (the famous one that originally claimed it caused brain tumours was based on giving mice absolutely absurd amounts of it and then letting them die of natural causes which essentially makes the entire 'study' pointless) or have results that are miniscule in difference against the control.

The WHO is a very good organisation but it's cancer study arm tends to cause more harm than good. It releases studies and advice that aren't really of any use to a normal person - for instance they advised that yes bacon is probably a carcinogen but in reality the numbers they had to confirm that are useless to a normal person (the numbers they had meant you'd have to be eating a lot of bacon every day for a very long time for the chances of a statistically significant change happening). The last big study into sweeteners found that people that consumed sweeteners were more likely to get cancer, but again it included so many issues with the controls you can't draw any conclusions - it didn't account for overall fitness, lifestyle, health etc. The reality of the study was less sweeteners cause cancer, and more people that are unhealthy are more likely to get cancer. Shock horror.

And ultimately... You are going to die. Unless they can show that aspartame is going to significantly make you more likely to develop cancer that will impact on your lifespan, it's probably not worth worrying about. Everything you do has some impact on your ultimate fate - you need to weigh up whether you'd rather do things that matter to you, make you enjoy your time more in one way or another, or the potentially infinitesimally small chance that that choice is going to cause you harm.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Water? But then they say the drinking out of plastic water is damaging to your health. Dont think anything is safe unless you grow everything yourself so you know what your eating 

Who is "they"? There is certainly no scientific consensus that this is true.

23 hours ago, Anthony said:

I would like to apologise: I meant to post this in the boring thread, because it is very boring indeed. And I was bored.

I believe that quorn chicken nuggets tasting the same as maccie d's meat version means that any flavour at all is only gained from the batter/coating of either of them.

Â