General Chat

Stevo985

21 minutes ago, limpid said:

Who is "they"? There is certainly no scientific consensus that this is true.

If there was then we would be pretty much be **** as near everything packed is plastic

I dont think we will ever know if it does or doesnt 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If there was then we would be pretty much be **** as near everything packed is plastic

I dont think we will ever know if it does or doesnt 

We will, it doesnt.

Cancer Research UK.

Does using plastic bottles and containers cause cancer?

• Using plastics doesn’t increase the risk of cancer

• It is safe to drink from plastic bottles, use plastic containers, cling film and store food in plastic bags

• Even where plastics are heated for hours at a time, studies have shown that the food inside is safe to eat

Using plastics doesn’t cause cancer. This includes drinking from plastic bottles and using plastic containers and bags to store food in.

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

We will, it doesnt.

Cancer Research UK.

You are aware they do studies all the time right so this could change at any time? Also if you reheat plastic in microwave for a long period of time like it suggests above it can melt into your food or leave plastic in your food. So yeah i wouldnt take their word for granted when they are wrong on that part.

But what do i know 😃

Im not saying its definitely true btw just that it cabt be ruled out. Nit like they haven't got things wrong in the past. I never heat plastic btw

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I believe that quorn chicken nuggets tasting the same as maccie d's meat version means that any flavour at all is only gained from the batter/coating of either of them.

This. For stuff like nuggets and sausages, I think the taste of the actual meat is quite minimal

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You are aware they do studies all the time right so this could change at any time? Also if you reheat plastic in microwave for a long period of time like it suggests above it can melt into your food or leave plastic in your food. So yeah i wouldnt take their word for granted when they are wrong on that part.

But what do i know 😃

Im not saying its definitely true btw just that it cabt be ruled out. Nit like they haven't got things wrong in the past. I never heat plastic btw

If you're reheating your food in a microwave for so long that it melts the plastic then you should be wearing a **** helmet. 

Cancer is the least of your worries

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you're reheating your food in a microwave for so long that it melts the plastic then you should be wearing a **** helmet. 

Cancer is the least of your worries

I remember once there was a guy in office he reheated a ready made meal in tesco for 4 minutes in microwave and it melted into the food. Was suprised that happened

So many different types of cancer and info online that tells you what causes of cancer so very difficult to know whats true and what isnt. 

Edited by Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You are aware they do studies all the time right so this could change at any time?

Im not saying its definitely true btw just that it cabt be ruled out. Nit like they haven't got things wrong in the past.

All of the above can be applied to literally every article. Including the ones you cited yourself. So by that logic, why read anything ever? Given it could all change tomorrow. I think with some it boils down to confirmation bias.

"My articles are true, whereas yours could change tomorrow".

Just now, BOF said:

All of the above can be applied to literally every article. Incuding the ones you cited yourself. So by that logic, why read anything ever? Given it could all change tomorrow. I think with some it boils down to confirmation bias.

"My articles are true, whereas yours could change tomorrow".

You can read and make your own life chouxes nothing wring with educating yourself.

When you go to a GP and they are googling things that sums up the world we are in today

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You can read and make your own life chouxes nothing wring with educating yourself.

Correct, but with some it isn't about educating themselves. With some it's about finding something that confirms what they already believe. You just did it above. Two people doubted your claim about drinking from a plastic container. One showed you an article from cancer research. What was your reaction to that? It was to say 'that could change'. Techically true, but a convenient dismissive that could be used against literally anything. At the end of the day, you believe something specific, and I suspect it would be nigh on impossible to change your mind on that topic, meaning it's not about education.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Correct, but with some it isn't about educating themselves. With some it's about finding something that confirms what they already believe. You just did it above. Two people doubted your claim about drinking from a plastic container. One showed you an article from cancer research. What was your reaction to that? It was to say 'that could change'. Techically true, but a convenient dismissive that could be used against literally anything. At the end of the day, you believe something specific, and I suspect it would be nigh on impossible to change your mind on that topic, meaning it's not about education.

My argument though BOF is just the aspartame above id its not true why do they always do new studies or trials? They must have a suspicion that there are some links somewhere

Call me sceptical but i dont think if plastic or cans for example did cause cancer they would ever tell us/ban it. Imagine telling coca cola for example you cant use cans or plastic bottles anymore!

Call me sceptical but i dont think if plastic or cans for example did cause cancer they would ever tell us/ban it. Imagine telling coca cola for example you cant use cans or plastic bottles anymore!

This isn't scepticism, it's full on conspiracy theory. Who is "they"? The entire global scientific community and every single government?

Imagine telling every construction company in the world that they can't use asbestos anymore. Imagine telling all (well, almost all) fuel companies they need to take lead out of their petrol.

• Like 2

Call me sceptical but i dont think if plastic or cans for example did cause cancer they would ever tell us/ban it

This makes no sense whatsoever. So on one hand you agree that they are continually testing chemicals for being carcinogenic. But then you don't think they would give us the results. But then you believe articles when they literally tell us the results. But then you don't believe the industry would ever react to those results, or even tell us about them, even though you read and believe articles where they tell us about them. But don't believe articles where they tell us the results were negative, because there might be a future article.

🤷‍♂️ I dunno.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This isn't scepticism, it's full on conspiracy theory. Who is "they"? The entire global scientific community and every single government?

Imagine telling every construction company in the world that they can't use asbestos anymore. Imagine telling all (well, almost all) fuel companies they need to take lead out of their petrol.

Stopped ready when you said conspiracy theory.

You can have a different opinion and question things without it being a conspiracy theory. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You can have a different opinion and question things without it being a conspiracy theory. 

Yeah, you can, but you're suggesting a global coverup. 

Edited by Davkaus

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

This makes no sense whatsoever. So on one hand you agree that they are continually testing chemicals for being carcinogenic. But then you don't think they would give us the results. But then you believe articles when they literally tell us the results. But then you don't believe the industry would ever react to those results, or even tell us about them, even though you read and believe articles where they tell us about them. But don't believe articles where they tell us the results were negative, because there might be a future article.

🤷‍♂️ I dunno.

You have basically twisted alot of what ive said there so ill leave the convo there

Stopped ready when you said conspiracy theory.

You literally said you believe you "dont think if plastic or cans did cause cancer they would ever tell us/ban it".

That's textbook conspiracy Dem. All we're doing is holding up a mirror here.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

You have basically twisted alot of what ive said there so ill leave the convo there

No I held up a mirror as clearly as I could. All you did was look into it, and do exactly what I suspect you would.

I work in environmental toxicology (contaminated land), but can't be arsed looking back through this thread for specific points. What y'all wanna know? 

Â