General Chat

Stevo985

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Genie does he admit that half a million from the Kremlin, or is that the most likely explaination put forward by others?

Here’s the video 

He says the bank DID give him an explanation despite the banner on the screen. They said it was a commercial decision.

He then adds that bit about being a PEP and that in the HoC Chris Bryant MP said, using parliamentary privilege that Farage received £500k from the Kremlin. Nigel says he requested a retraction from the speaker but also doesn’t actually deny it was true.

It looks very much like the banks are distancing themselves from Kremlin money. 

Edited by Genie
  • Shocked 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Nigel Farage rallying against prejudice:crylaugh:

This just in- a quote from the Pope:

'Religion, what's that all about, mate. Obviously bollocks, yeah?'

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Here’s the video 

He says the bank DID give him an explanation despite the banner on the screen. They said it was a commercial decision.

He then adds that bit about being a PEP and that in the HoC Chris Bryant MP said, using parliamentary privilege that Farage received £500k from the Kremlin. Nigel says he requested a retraction from the speaker but also doesn’t actually deny it was true.

It looks very much like the banks are distancing themselves from Kremlin money. 

DO we really live in a free country? Yes the banks are free to not want you as a customer

1 minute ago, bickster said:

DO we really live in a free country? Yes the banks are free to not want you as a customer

He mentioned at the end that a bank did offer him a personal account, but not a business account. So it’s obviously his “business” that is the issue.

So, he lied that they didn’t tell him why they closed his accounts when they did. And he lied that he can’t get a bank account when he can.

The main 2 points he was pushing both confirmed as lies.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Great aspartame to be labelled a potential cancer risk by WHO.

No more diet sodas then ffs as i love a little pepsi max ive probably damaged my body so much already now

Don't worry about it. 

We're all dying from the moment we are born. 

5 hours ago, Genie said:

So they say your account is closed but we can’t say why? I can’t believe that. There must be some type of explanation.

We've closed accounts down - don't need to tell them why. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

We've closed accounts down - don't need to tell them why. 

In this case Farage was lying because he admitted they told him it was a commercial decision. He then speculated on why they made that decision (him receiving money from Russian State TV companies). 
Fingers crossed he follows through (I could end the sentence here) on his threat to leave the country.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

In this case Farage was lying because he admitted they told him it was a commercial decision. He then speculated on why they made that decision (him receiving money from Russian State TV companies). 
Fingers crossed he follows through (I could end the sentence here) on his threat to leave the country.

"Commercial / Business decision" is the standard phrase for not telling you the exact reason! 

There will be something the Bank doesn't like - could be payments from sanctioned countries/individuals, suspicious activity on the account (ie payment patterns) or simply a decision based on the reputation of the individual/business. Banks have specific departments to do this - it gets referred by the relationship manager and the department will assess everything and make a decision based on a majority view of the panel. Farage is already a PEP so will be subject to enhanced CDD/KYC anyway. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

could be payments from sanctioned countries/individuals, suspicious activity on the account (ie payment patterns) 

Am I right in thinking that if there was a tangible suspicion of serious wrongdoing that was being investigated, it would be a freeze on the account with no comments rather than closing the account and giving a vague reason? 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Am I right in thinking that if there was a tangible suspicion of serious wrongdoing that was being investigated, it would be a freeze on the account with no comments rather than closing the account and giving a vague reason? 

Yes, it would be frozen completely and a decision to exit made swiftly. 

Which would indicate, in my view, the decision to shut Farage's accounts by Coutts is probably more down to reputational reasons than a serious branch of sanctions. I think @Genie said he'd already been offered a personal account at one of the other banks in the group. Timing seems odd though as he's probably less of a high profile figure now than before. 

• Like 1

He also said all other banks had declined his business too which I found surprising. Must be more to this than not wanting to be associated with him.

Or it’s more bullshit.

Edited by Genie

Being alive is bad for your health ... good article about how health news is so unclear that no one really knows what the hell is going on, so some people just say **** it all ...

These designations about carcinogenicity are just one example of how health information can arrive to the general public in ways that are functionally useless, even if well intentioned. ... Taken in aggregate, this morass of poor communication and confusing information has the very real potential to exhaust people’s ability to identify and respond to actual risk, or to confuse them into nihilism. The solution-free finger-wagging, so often about the exact things that many people experience as the little joys in everyday life, doesn’t help. When everything is an ambiguously urgent health risk, it very quickly begins to feel like nothing is. I still drink a few Diet Cokes a year, and I maintain that there’s no better beverage to pair with pizza. We’re all going to die someday.

23 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I believe that quorn chicken nuggets tasting the same as maccie d's meat version means that any flavour at all is only gained from the batter/coating of either of them.

they're fantastic. best chicken nugget out there IMO (not that i'm a connoisseur or anything)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Genie said:

He also said all other banks had declined his business too which I found surprising. Must be more to this than not wanting to be associated with him.

Or it’s more bullshit.

Or they don't see 'constantly looking for the next grift' as a workable business model? 

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Yes, it would be frozen completely and a decision to exit made swiftly. 

Which would indicate, in my view, the decision to shut Farage's accounts by Coutts is probably more down to reputational reasons than a serious branch of sanctions. I think @Genie said he'd already been offered a personal account at one of the other banks in the group. Timing seems odd though as he's probably less of a high profile figure now than before. 

Just to add to what you and people like @bickster have said about the banks not telling people if they're under investigation (which now appears wasnt the case with Farage and he was told what was going on).

Letting someone know (tipping off) that they're under investigation for breaching money laundering or sanctions is actually criminal offence in it's own right with potentially pretty severe consequences (upto 5 years in prison and an unlimited fine).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Why anyone would be buying chicken nuggets from McDonalds when chicken selects exist is completely beyond me.

i like to slum it every now and again.

• Like 1

Â