The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

I caught some article a couple of days ago, about one of the Circus Tents where they were doing a few variations on high wire acts, trapeze acts. The logistics were just crazy, a couple of weeks of setting up the tent, rigging the staging, sorting the lighting. Getting scaffolders and riggers and climbers that could swift change sets for changes of show every hours. It was hundreds of thousands of pounds for the back room staff and artistes in a part of the Glastonbury show you don’t hear about.

Add that to 9 stages of music, fairgrounds, and a big spider…

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I caught some article a couple of days ago, about one of the Circus Tents where they were doing a few variations on high wire acts, trapeze acts. The logistics were just crazy, a couple of weeks of setting up the tent, rigging the staging, sorting the lighting. Getting scaffolders and riggers and climbers that could swift change sets for changes of show every hours. It was hundreds of thousands of pounds for the back room staff and artistes in a part of the Glastonbury show you don’t hear about.

spacer.png

Not forgetting all the clubs that go on after the live music has finished until the early hours of the morning

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not forgetting all the clubs that go on after the live music has finished until the early hours of the morning

Been talking a lot about the economics of running this thing over the weekend. Blows your mind thinking about the complexity of putting something like this on.

It would be fascinating to see the accounts! 

Which makes me feel older than watching Billie Eilish on Friday night. 

20 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Been talking a lot about the economics of running this thing over the weekend. Blows your mind thinking about the complexity of putting something like this on.

It would be fascinating to see the accounts! 

Which makes me feel older than watching Billie Eilish on Friday night. 

Or even see the invoice from the accountants for the accounts!

Genuinely, it’ll be a vast bill from the guys doing the billing.

Or do we think old man Eavis will now be up all night with a big stack of coffee receipts and some cheque book stubs to sort out?

Imagine trying to engage in a business like way and receive timely invoices and receipts with the correct vat registration details from Primal Scream.

Hello, hello is that Mr Gillespie? Yes its about the receipts bundle. You’re saying you had lunch in Costa Coffee and it cost £8.29 but that was at exactly the same time you had two Happy Meals in Taunton, which incidentally was exactly the same time you were live on TV performing ‘Higher Than The Sun’ on the Parks Stage? And you’ve bought a tank specifically for the journey here? I need you to have another look at this.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

:)

tbf  I didn’t know he was a rapper , I thought he was that Lamar bloke from England , that’s how out of touch I am !!

That's cracked me up. Bloody Lemar 😂

"Right about now I'm 50/50" would have the crowd going wild.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Can you imagine how much the liability insurance is for the circus tent alone?

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Or even see the invoice from the accountants for the accounts!

Genuinely, it’ll be a vast bill from the guys doing the billing.

Or do we think old man Eavis will now be up all night with a big stack of coffee receipts and some cheque book stubs to sort out?

Imagine trying to engage in a business like way and receive timely invoices and receipts with the correct vat registration details from Primal Scream.

Hello, hello is that Mr Gillespie? Yes its about the receipts bundle. You’re saying you had lunch in Costa Coffee and it cost £8.29 but that was at exactly the same time you had two Happy Meals in Taunton, which incidentally was exactly the same time you were live on TV performing ‘Higher Than The Sun’ on the Parks Stage? And you’ve bought a tank specifically for the journey here? I need you to have another look at this.

Not to mention all the helicopter bills and trying to match them up with pretend carbon offset schemes run by crooks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hogso said:

Anyone ever seen Rammstein live? They must be incredibly loud, as I'm sitting in my living room, 4 miles away from where they're playing, and I can hear the bass. ****. 

Probably about 15/20 years ago but yeah pretty load! Good pyrotechnics as well. Couldn’t make the original date and had sold out by the time I could make it. Shame as good band live.

Well that was fun! I’m broken now

highlights: Self Esteem, Sigrid, girl in red, Holly humberstone, Olivia Rodrigo, Turnstile, Charli XCX

oh and Paul & Jacqui of course

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

If you want some amusement check out any FB posting regarding P. McCartney Esq's performance.

Anyone daring to say he was anything less than "phenomenal" gets piled on by all the acolytes, who retort with the same kind of "what's your back catalogue like", "Would like to see you do that now let alone at 80", "how very dare you critisize a living legend" type comments.

I think that's the difference between the majority of Macca fans and all Brian Wilson fans.

Macca is still as good as 1964, but pretty much every Brian Wilson fan I know can see and has admitted that Brian does next to nothing these days, and when he does he invariably misses the cue or sings off key. They're just happy he's there, wheelchair or not.

17 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

If you want some amusement check out any FB posting regarding P. McCartney Esq's performance.

Anyone daring to say he was anything less than "phenomenal" gets piled on by all the acolytes, who retort with the same kind of "what's your back catalogue like", "Would like to see you do that now let alone at 80", "how very dare you critisize a living legend" type comments.

I think that's the difference between the majority of Macca fans and all Brian Wilson fans.

Macca is still as good as 1964, but pretty much every Brian Wilson fan I know can see and has admitted that Brian does next to nothing these days, and when he does he invariably misses the cue or sings off key. They're just happy he's there, wheelchair or not.

Yep, that was exactly my thought. They're both living legend heritage acts, with very good bands who do their best to cover for the old feller's failing abilities. 

• Like 2

Went with the wife last night to see The Eagles at Hyde Park, we are both of that age....

I enjoyed the gig, Joe Walsh still a great guitar player

Joe Walsh commented that he had a lot more fun when he was in his 20's in the 70's, than being in his 70's in the 20's......although I am not yet in my 70's (6 years to go), it was something that I could very much agree with😊

Regards

Derek

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hogso said:

Anyone ever seen Rammstein live? They must be incredibly loud, as I'm sitting in my living room, 4 miles away from where they're playing, and I can hear the bass. ****. 

Yes and yes.  You'd probably be able to see the pyro from 4 miles away too.

• Like 2

So , based on comments here , there and everywhere and expecting a train wreck , I put McCartney’s Glastonbury performance on iPlayer tonight 

have to say I enjoyed it , yeah his vocals were a bit off at time but he had some good musicians alongside him , he played some good material from his vast catalogue ( and a few not so good ones ) , I reckon being there would have enhanced the enjoyment even more 

It just sorta reaffirms my conclusion the internet just enjoys being miserable , I for one enjoyed that set … 

I get people just wanted to hear hit after hit but having  only heard the original bootleg previously , I really enjoyed  “in spite of all the danger “ given an airing .

here today is still a beautiful note to a friend even if he couldn’t really deliver the vocals

if that’s his last ever performance there are worse ways to bow out 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Wandered over to Primal Scream who were disappointing, was expecting much better.

I finally watched that set last night on the iPlayer. I'd heard a lot of negativity about it but apart from the sound being horrible, I thought it was great. I can well understand some of the criticism that it started slowly but it finished really well imo. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, choffer said:

I finally watched that set last night on the iPlayer. I'd heard a lot of negativity about it but apart from the sound being horrible, I thought it was great. I can well understand some of the criticism that it started slowly but it finished really well imo. 

I started watching and the sound was really wrong, really off.

But I also know that a few years ago I went to a PS gig and in the room it was some of the best live music I’d ever heard, then days later on i-player, it was bang average at best.

• Like 1

Â