The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

but he isn't even top gig bellend of the night, no that award goes to the bloke in front of him, he's a bit hot so he gets out one of those retractable chinese fans and starts fanning himself, mate its a gig, its meant to be hot. Absolute melt!

Well yeah, that was exactly his problem.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

So first proper gig back after covid tonight.

Courtney Barnett at the Invisible Wind Factory in Liverpool

She was very very good, she seemed very at ease and very happy with herself and it really did shine through in the performance.

The sound was brilliant too, absoutely great accoustics and PA

She's really changed the arrangement of a few of her earlier songs which was fun

Top Gig

Second song of the oncore which was already announced as the last, the bloke in front on me is absolutely gassed, can't stand up straight, so decided to order two more cans of Red Stripe. You really don't need 'em mate but he isn't even top gig bellend of the night, no that award goes to the bloke in front of him, he's a bit hot so he gets out one of those retractable chinese fans and starts fanning himself, mate its a gig, its meant to be hot. Absolute melt!

Seconded, every last bit. Belting gig, perfect sound, whole band on form, happy joyful crowd, nice venue, good company as ever and that space cadet off his box is gonna be a proper sorry sight tomorrow. Only downer was feeling a bit ropy for a few hours and then after dropping @bicksteroff and going through Southport, the road to (de)Preston was completely shut and I had to do a detour through god knows where down a tiny narrow track, but still a joy of an evening.

edit, oh and the song I couldn’t place, the quiet one quite a way through was not really a cover, it was a CB & KV sea lice song “On Script” from side 2 of that album according to the internet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to the pub earlier, in the relative warmth and sun. Drank beer in a beer garden with a mate, surrounded by festival goers. Who may now be regretting their attendance as it’s chucking it down. That said Goldfrapp sounded good, from my living room, at least. Lots of soggy Duranies may cheer up shortly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did not expect Adele in Hyde Park to be my first post covid live concert.

But, these things happen.

I remain staunchly meh about the whole Adele thing. There was no momentum, 3 minute song, followed by 6 minute slightly inaudible chit chat with the front few rows, 3 minute song, 6 minute muffled chit chat with the VIP box, 3 minute song…

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I remain staunchly meh about the whole Adele thing. There was no momentum, 3 minute song, followed by 6 minute slightly inaudible chit chat with the front few rows, 3 minute song, 6 minute muffled chit chat with the VIP box, 3 minute song…

How did it go down with the intended audience? Did they enjoy it? Must admit I just assumed that she would cancel. 

How was Kacey Musgraves? Always solid live but with the last 2 albums she appears to ditched any signs of country music, I suspect on that bill it would be mainly a set from those last 2 albums. Her Glastonbury set was aside from a cover exclusively from the last 2 albums. 

34 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

How did it go down with the intended audience? Did they enjoy it? Must admit I just assumed that she would cancel. 

How was Kacey Musgraves? Always solid live but with the last 2 albums she appears to ditched any signs of country music, I suspect on that bill it would be mainly a set from those last 2 albums. Her Glastonbury set was aside from a cover exclusively from the last 2 albums. 

It went down very well, very emotional with the intended audience.

I would have to confess to not having noted the names of the support acts, other than there was one called Self Esteem. I think your Kasey Musgraves comment chimes in with a couple of people saying it was all the new stuff now I think about it. In that I didn’t have a clue who any of them were I genuinely couldn’t comment, but yeah it was said that it was all new stuff.

I was getting quite annoyed on behalf of ‘the fans’ that there was twice as much filler chatting on a microphone that wasn’t set up for it so largely inaudible. But apparently, that’s what the target audience want and love. An intimate evening’s chat between Adele and 65,000 punters with some songs thrown in now and again.

There were fairground rides in there, a tiny tiny Glastonbury vibe with food stalls and schizz. I thought it was odd that people would pay all that money for tickets for Adele, and then during Adele, go on the merry go rounds and queue for some street food. But, again, I’m not used to how Adele concerts (or big Hyde Park concerts generally) work.

£100 for the cheapest ticket, double that if you wanted to be close enough to the front to actually see her, not just the big screen. Then the same again for a hoodie at a merch stall. They even had prices for the cheapo tickets, but for a little extra you could be allowed in first and get down ‘the front’ of the cheapo area at the back. Which felt like the ultimate rinse.

I didn’t get a hoodie.

• Like 1

I was meant to be going to see a local stoner/grunge metal band, Witchtripper. They have a couple of banging tracks, and I was looking forward to supporting a local band. They've refunded the tickets, gone dark on SM, and unlisted the band on spotify. Turns out one of the band was convicted of drugging up and raping young girls at music festivals. What the **** is wrong with people.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

On 02/07/2022 at 03:25, chrisp65 said:

No idea what sort of inducement was offered to you for that , but I’m thinking it would require  at least a threesome with Ana De Armas and Margot Robot along with  a large jar of peanut butter to get me there … and even then I’d have to stipulate crunchy rather than smooth to seal the deal  

• Like 1

guns n roses 1.5hrs late coming on last night and finished 15 mins early as axl's voice was ****. a few big songs they didn't play. anyone ever had partial refunds in these instances?

i go to a lot of gigs but never felt the need to look into it, until last night

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

No idea what sort of inducement was offered to you for that , but I’m thinking it would require  at least a threesome with Ana De Armas and Margot Robot along with  a large jar of peanut butter to get me there … and even then I’d have to stipulate crunchy rather than smooth to seal the deal  

I went along as nominated driver, I was just supposed to be the driver.

Then ‘events’ and some plans went a bit off, there was a very last minute no show.

If anyone was there on Friday and spotted 2 tall blokes in crop tops screaming and signing and dancing, with a slightly shorter fatter, balder bloke that looked like he didn’t belong, clutching a bag of records… yeah.

40 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

guns n roses 1.5hrs late coming on last night and finished 15 mins early as axl's voice was ****. a few big songs they didn't play. anyone ever had partial refunds in these instances?

Shouldn't you be offering to pay more?

• Haha 1

On 02/07/2022 at 11:23, chrisp65 said:

It went down very well, very emotional with the intended audience.

I would have to confess to not having noted the names of the support acts, other than there was one called Self Esteem. I think your Kasey Musgraves comment chimes in with a couple of people saying it was all the new stuff now I think about it. In that I didn’t have a clue who any of them were I genuinely couldn’t comment, but yeah it was said that it was all new stuff.

I was getting quite annoyed on behalf of ‘the fans’ that there was twice as much filler chatting on a microphone that wasn’t set up for it so largely inaudible. But apparently, that’s what the target audience want and love. An intimate evening’s chat between Adele and 65,000 punters with some songs thrown in now and again.

There were fairground rides in there, a tiny tiny Glastonbury vibe with food stalls and schizz. I thought it was odd that people would pay all that money for tickets for Adele, and then during Adele, go on the merry go rounds and queue for some street food. But, again, I’m not used to how Adele concerts (or big Hyde Park concerts generally) work.

£100 for the cheapest ticket, double that if you wanted to be close enough to the front to actually see her, not just the big screen. Then the same again for a hoodie at a merch stall. They even had prices for the cheapo tickets, but for a little extra you could be allowed in first and get down ‘the front’ of the cheapo area at the back. Which felt like the ultimate rinse.

I didn’t get a hoodie.

It was the British Summertime Festival so they're trying for a festival vibe and appearance despite it really just being a headliner and some okish support acts 

I went years ago to see the libertines and to be fair they put on a lot of 00s indie bands that day and it was a great show, heard a lot of bad things about it there though, attracts a lot of post office hours workers who pop on down for something to do, have a chat drink a pims and have the likes of Adele singing in the background as they have a lovely evening in Hyde Park 

Rolling Stones and Elton John have done it this year too

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Looked up the BST 2014 libertines day

It was the libertines, pogues, the view, the rifles, the twang, reverend and the makers, maximo Park, the enemy, I am kloot, spiritualized, Graham Coxon, maximo Park, wolf alice and some others

I was absolutely off my **** tits that day can't remember 90% of it

Yes I saw that Rolling Stones were due soon.

Adele was perfectly ok for free. It reinforced my opinion that spending £100 to watch any band on a big screen the other end of a field is not the best use of my money.

• Like 3

Yeah it was surprising that I knew a fair few people on Facebook who went to see Liam at Knebworth but none of my mates did, we've seen him god knows how many times now and none of us fancied it because it was just too big and too much of a ball ache 

I saw him at OT 3 years ago and it was shit, that's probably the worst venue I've ever been to

50 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Mrs H was there both nights , I think the delays were down to Tottenham rather than the band , not sure why they couldn’t get the sound to work but they had issues on  both days .

yesterday she and her friend were in the gold circle and had the time of their life , definitely no sound issues there , so not sure if it was isolated parts of the sound system that they had issues with ?

she showed me a video of “slither” and whilst not great Axl’s voice was ok , he struggled with a few notes but not enough that would have me running for the exit .

Â