The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

I am a McCartney fan. I really like and rate his Beatles and post Beatles output, but anyone that thinks his performance was "good" need their ears syringing. 

• Like 1

Anyone going to 'Bloodstock' ?  Looks like a good metal line-up but 'Night Flight Orchestra' seems an odd choice; bearing in mind the audience. I quite like 'em  - remind me a bit of TOTO.

6 hours ago, veloman said:

Anyone going to 'Bloodstock' ?  Looks like a good metal line-up but 'Night Flight Orchestra' seems an odd choice; bearing in mind the audience. I quite like 'em  - remind me a bit of TOTO.

Haven't been since Slayer headlined the last day. Been there twice and think it's great, just have to avoid the shouty growly stuff I'm not into. 

Might go back in a rented camper van one year and do the whole four days. 

I've been to Bloodstock with a dayticket a couple of times. I had a look at this year but I htink it's a really poor lineup. Lamb Of God and Behemoth are the big names and I can't stand either of them.

Big fan of Bury Tomorrow, Malevolence and Sleep Token, but saw them all at Download a couple of weeks ago, and Blood Youth are banging, but I'm seeing them at a smaller festival in a couple of weeks.

I would quite like to see Pupil Slicer and Jinjer at some point though, need to catch them on tour

Edited by Davkaus

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I can’t believe McCartney has a performing career. He was terrible in the late 70’s and yet my timeline is full of people saying how great he is 🤷‍♂️

do people just accept what they are spoon fed as “good” and don’t question it?

It’s a bit of a mixed bag isn’t it.

On the one hand, it’s one hell of a back catalogue, it’s Glastonbury or at the other extreme 2 days earlier it was a cafe in Frome. There are guest appearances and there’s a sing along atmosphere because you know every last song.

But, equally, he’s 103 and the voice is gone.

People love a pop song and they love a pub band singalong.

Last night they had a pub band singalong of 60’s hits, by the guy that wrote them, with his buddies Grohl and Springsteen.

It’s not for me, but I can absolutely see how someone else would think that was worth a chunk of the £300 entrance fee.

• Like 2

On 24/06/2022 at 23:38, choffer said:

OK, I’m gonna say it, and I realise that VT is not her target demographic but Billie Eilish is a proper talent. 

Just watched a bit of her set on iplayer

Don’t think it would be a huge shock for VT when I say “Meh” … just looked like a shit version of Bjork from the bit I saw before I switched off 

Foals have survived the 2 mins  test , was a close run thing as the lead singer had a beard and I nearly didn’t give them a chance 

Never heard of them before but they are another band I’ll add to my wouldn’t mind seeing them live list 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a bit of a mixed bag isn’t it.

On the one hand, it’s one hell of a back catalogue, it’s Glastonbury or at the other extreme 2 days earlier it was a cafe in Frome. There are guest appearances and there’s a sing along atmosphere because you know every last song.

But, equally, he’s 103 and the voice is gone.

People love a pop song and they love a pub band singalong.

Last night they had a pub band singalong of 60’s hits, by the guy that wrote them, with his buddies Grohl and Springsteen.

It’s not for me, but I can absolutely see how someone else would think that was worth a chunk of the £300 entrance fee.

I’ve not seen it yet , (doesn’t seem to be on iPlayer yet) but pub band sing along is a tad hash on the best modern era musician  after John Lennon .

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve not seen it yet , (doesn’t seem to be on iPlayer yet) but pub band sing along is a tad hash on the best modern era musician  after John Lennon .

So that makes him the absolutely worst ever?

Spoiler

McCarthorse even manages to raise his long time friend and soul mate Mr Lemon from the dead

oh and he plays two of his worst songs of all time. love me f***ing Do and Oblahh blah f***ing blah

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

‘Best’ is quite a difficult thing to define though isn’t it.

I mean, by best musician, are you suggesting he’s technically more proficient than people in bands like Sky that did all that 70’s rock / jazz / classical crossover stuff? Or a better writer of tunes than, say, Bjorn and Benny? Or more authentic than BB King? Or a better stage presence than the karate kicking 1969 Vegas Elvis?

I shall do a spreadsheet with marks for various categories and get back to you with the actual winner.  

• Haha 2

I don’t know what it is about Cate Le Bon, she's got a Nicoesque voice that generally ticks a box for me. The music is in sort of the right genre pool too yet whatever she does just seems to grate on me.

I’m trying to get along with it here but it’s not happening.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Just watched a bit of her set on iplayer

Don’t think it would be a huge shock for VT when I say “Meh” … just looked like a shit version of Bjork from the bit I saw

Thing is, both her and Olivia Rodriguez - I mean the likes of us are not their target audience. Both got some banging tunes, mind. Olivia Rodriguez "Brutal" would fit in any era since the 70s and Billie Eillish, you have to listen with a decent system/headphones - the bass is a massive part of it and it's almost inaudible on normal TV or radio or phone speakers. Put some good headies on and it's completely different and they both super-connected with the crowd, which is impressive for basically teenagers.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

To me it just seems people have been told that for the last 50 years so they just go along with it without question.

McCartney has, at best, shit housed his way into 2 or 3 lucky chord sequences in 60 years, and at worst, is a complete charlatan foisted upon us by a marketing machine that has been going since the 60's.

Because of his name and available funding, he's been able to surround himself with the best producers and session musicians who have kept the output almost passable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

To me it just seems people have been told that for the last 50 years so they just go along with it without question.

McCartney has, at best, shit housed his way into 2 or 3 lucky chord sequences in 60 years, and at worst, is a complete charlatan foisted upon us by a marketing machine that has been going since the 60's.

Because of his name and available funding, he's been able to surround himself with the best producers and session musicians who have kept the output almost passable.

I guess you just had to be there. 2 or 3 lucky chord sequences in 60 years. Oh dear.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I guess you just had to be there. 2 or 3 lucky chord sequences in 60 years. Oh dear.

I agree - my take is he's a complete charlatan and those lucky sequences were probably suggested to him by someone else.

Anyone remember his Oratorio he did with the London Symphony Orchestra about steak 'n' chips? - Yeah, didn't think so.

CBA to find the 'Crap Claims to Fame' thread, but I just ventured a mildly critical opinion on Macca's performance on Facebook, and got told to **** off by Ian McNabb of The Icicle Works. 

The Scouse mafia sure sticks together. 

• Haha 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

CBA to find the 'Crap Claims to Fame' thread, but I just ventured a mildly critical opinion on Macca's performance on Facebook, and got told to **** off by Ian McNabb of The Icicle Works. 

The Scouse mafia sure sticks together. 

It does feel like a mafia. Reading the BBC report on last nights McCartney show was like reading Pravda.

• Like 1

Â