The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

On 28/06/2022 at 20:02, blandy said:

Got the radio on in the house. Windows are all shut. It’s still getting drowned out by some wailing from the festival a few hundred yards away. Happily it’s raining, cold and windy 😈. Diana Ross ‘ll catch her death when she’s on later.

I was wondering how you were getting on.

I assumed there might be someone on the card you might like, but Diana Ross was not one of them.

I quite liked Elbow back in the day.

15 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I was wondering how you were getting on.

I assumed there might be someone on the card you might like, but Diana Ross was not one of them.

I quite liked Elbow back in the day.

There were a few on the card I quite like. Goldfrapp, Wet Leg, like you - early Elbow, Richard Hawley…

Weller is on tonight, I think as are the charlatans.

My friends went to Scarborough last night to watch Elbow. I was invited but Elbow are amongst the worst bands I have ever heard, and trust me, I like a guy who sings about a woman who thinks his tractor is sexy. Hate Elbows music but think Guy Harvey is a likeable fella. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My friends went to Scarborough last night to watch Elbow. I was invited but Elbow are amongst the worst bands I have ever heard, and trust me, I like a guy who sings about a woman who thinks his tractor is sexy. Hate Elbows music but think Guy Harvey is a likeable fella. 

My brother has just ‘discovered’ Elbow, watching (maybe) Glastonbury on the TV. Sent me a screenshot of ‘a scruffy fella’ and asked who it was as he was enjoying it.

All those **** decades of listening to the wrong shite, he finally listens to something closer to the right shite, and chooses the wrong bit of the right shite.

I pretty much said, dreary band, decent enough bloke.

• Like 2

Elbow peaked on their first record and as they slowly changed and found their sound they got worse and the sound they've settled on is just too boring. It's music that won't offend your Mother-in-law

Guy Garvey is a very nice man though, his radio show is quite good

• Like 2

Leaders of the free world was the last one of theirs I really liked. I’ve not listened to it for ages though. When they were on the other night they sounded ok from 4 or 500 yards away with the windows open

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Leaders of the free world was the last one of theirs I really liked. I’ve not listened to it for ages though. When they were on the other night they sounded ok from 4 or 500 yards away with the windows open

Yeah, they aren't bad and thats the problem, there's just something missing that element of danger or something that makes thing exciting. It's one of those things you can't put your finger on

• Like 2

Pixies and Pearl Jam were excellent on Friday at Hyde Park… PJ are still one of the best live bands I’ve seen ..love all the extended guitar work they throw in …Randomly had John McEnroe on stage for the encore playing a bit of guitar

One minor moan and in not sure if it’s a Hyde Park “we are near posh people” thing , but the sound level was really low , would have preferred it a few notches higher  

Back  there tonight for a bit of Nile Rodgers  /Chic and Duran Duran ( annoying gig clash with rescheduled  Peter Hook gig but DD was a present from the wife so I have to give that one the priority )  

and then that’s official 2020 over and done with , can start on doing 2022 things !

• Like 2

Some kind of sub-Oasis band trying to get crowd interaction call and repeat and miserably failing. Apparently they’re called Lottery Winners. Hmmm.

Charlatans next, then Weller, then that’s it done till the flag shagging in August.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Pixies and Pearl Jam were excellent on Friday at Hyde Park… PJ are still one of the best live bands I’ve seen ..love all the extended guitar work they throw in …Randomly had John McEnroe on stage for the encore playing a bit of guitar

One minor moan and in not sure if it’s a Hyde Park “we are near posh people” thing , but the sound level was really low , would have preferred it a few notches higher  

Back  there tonight for a bit of Nile Rodgers  /Chic and Duran Duran ( annoying gig clash with rescheduled  Peter Hook gig but DD was a present from the wife so I have to give that one the priority )  

and then that’s official 2020 over and done with , can start on doing 2022 things !

I’d love to see Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder an absolute genius. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Trying for Springsteen tickets at Villa Park via the presale tomorrow. Tickets seem relatively reasonably priced. Relatively. 

Might see him at Hyde Park , must be 30 years since I last saw him !! 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Might see him at Hyde Park , must be 30 years since I last saw him !! 

If I get tickets it will be a first for me. I was considering Hyde Park but then VP was announced. 

Â