The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 minute ago, veloman said:

Sky - bassist was Herbie Flowers (as you doubtless knew). Played on Bowie's 'Space Oddity' amongst others. But ..... was also responsible for writing "Grandad'  - Clive Dunn !!

I don’t just throw this shit together! 

I did the whole Wikipedia thing. Tristran Fry played on some Beatles tracks. John Williams, Honorary Professor at Royal Academy of Music. Francis Monkman, the score for the film Long Good Friday. And on it goes, every band member absolutely expert in their craft.

My wife has an album of theirs. It leaves me totally unmoved.

Then I listen to the frankly atrocious mess of guitar playing that Amyl and the Sniffers manage live, and it’s just brilliant.

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I think I am essentially Olivia Rodriguez's potential audience, and off the back of the Glastonbury coverage it's highly likely I will buy her album. Billie Eillish has elements I enjoy but is too far away from the "pop" I enjoy to make me want to listen to anything outside of Bad Guy. 

Given she's great (and was great yesterday, although my mother-in-law thought it was a racket), can we all please get Olivia Rodrigo's name right?

K, thx, bye.

Edited by ml1dch

Missed most of Glastonbury yesterday as I was in Leeds at the cricket. Catching up now, before watching Kendrick later. Little Simz stand out from what I've seen. Saw a bit of Macca last night. Playing Something with pics of George on screen was nice. Most of it was pretty meh. Saw Idles on Friday who were great, but they were always going to be.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Does it matter though? What people that weren’t there think? Even what others that were there think?

It’s so utterly subjective.

I went to a gig once where there was a reading out of all the drug related incidents jazz musicians had been involved in through the 1950’s. I thought it was fantastic, my gig buddy felt cheated of 15 minutes of music.

I went to a gig once in Digbeth and one of the acts was a modern poet who ranted for 15 minutes increasingly hysterically about how much he didn't like badges and kept asking why everybody was wearing badges. As far as I could tell nobody was wearing a badge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Given she's great (and was great yesterday, although my mother-in-law thought it was a racket), can we all please get Olivia Rodrigo's name right?

K, thx, bye.

I say it correctly, my phone knew best. 

Please please please can you all go and read The Independent review of Paul McCartney which amongst other things says that it's a privilege just to be alive at the same time as him. 

tenor.gif

I made it as far as the NME review, Friday night BE was historical, last night PM was historical, I'm guessing tonight KL will be historical 

And to me that feels like what Glastonbury wants with their headliners and the media lap it up 

Then again NME also did a piece on why Megan Thee Stallion should headline in the future... I last about 30 seconds of her on bbcs youtubw, utter garbage 

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

From glancing at Twitter it does seem those who enjoyed Macca last night are very much on the offensive, shouting down anyone who didn’t think it was anything other than spellbinding. 

I only caught a bit, switched on as he was playing “I’ve just seen a face” and it wasn’t great, but I thought the song picked up as it went on, the backing singers seemed to make their presence more apparent.

But I’m not hugely bothered about his stuff post 1970 and looking at the setlist I’m not too fussed about having missed most of it. I don’t ever need to hear “Hey Jude” again. I’d rather listen to “For No One” three times and have a minute or so spare.

Slightly surprised he didn’t play “Yesterday”, in fairness.

Back in the USSR was dropped for some reason

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Warmduscher on the Park Stage. Let the hilarity commence. Guaranteed that Tony will hate them

The BBC announced this as may contain extremely bad language :D no f***ing kidding

Just put them back on iPlayer to show them to the boy

he's enjoying them as well

something about every song that makes you think you’ve heard it before ( and not just cause I watched them a few hours ago :) )  could just be the various influences , can hear a bit of talking heads in them now (amongst the others ) 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Just put them back on iPlayer to show them to the boy

he's enjoying them as well

something about every song that makes you think you’ve heard it before ( and not just cause I watched them a few hours ago :) )  could just be the various influences , can hear a bit of talking heads in them now (amongst the others ) 

Right now go and birch yourself because you like something I “endorsed” then go and watch Courtney Barnett do a warm up show for her main event this week, which is obviously her performance for me and Pete and possibly some other people in the UK capital of music ;) 

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I made it as far as the NME review, Friday night BE was historical, last night PM was historical, I'm guessing tonight KL will be historical 

BBC2 have gone with it will be "biblical".

Unsure whether that's an upgrade or a downgrade. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Right now go and birch yourself because you like something I “endorsed” then go and watch Courtney Barnett do a warm up show for her main event this week, which is obviously her performance for me and Pete and possibly some other people in the UK capital of music ;) 

Watching Jarv IS , can’t make up my mind on him , sorta ok but I want him to play sorted for e’s and whizz

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Watching Jarv IS , can’t make up my mind on him , sorta ok but I want him to play sorted for e’s and whizz

He seems pretty much against playing Pulp material, he has been playing a couple but very much not the hits. I saw him many years ago and he was the same then. That said the price of admission is worth it for words removed are still running the world. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

warmduscher you just said I would hate and didn’t endorse , though  I suppose that could be taken as an endorsement for everyone else 😛

But to get back to the norm , I’m not sold on Barnett so you can keep her in the U.K. capital of muzak

Currently watching the Courtney Barnett set. I’m not regretting my decision. 
Can’t remember a Glastonbury where there was so little conflict over which feed I wanted to watch at any one point in time. 

• Like 1

Â