The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

2 hours ago, choffer said:

I finally watched that set last night on the iPlayer. I'd heard a lot of negativity about it but apart from the sound being horrible, I thought it was great. I can well understand some of the criticism that it started slowly but it finished really well imo. 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I started watching and the sound was really wrong, really off.

But I also know that a few years ago I went to a PS gig and in the room it was some of the best live music I’d ever heard, then days later on i-player, it was bang average at best.

Yeah to be fair, the tent was already rammed so we were watching from outside, got there about halfway through the set and then left after a couple of songs for Foals. Just seemed pointless to stick it out. Sure it was much better near the front. Never had much luck with John Peel stage because they put some massive names on in there and it's always packed. Thought PS would have been good on a bigger outdoor stage

I saw Primal Scream last year at Isle of Wight  , they were in the Big tent whilst Liam Gallagher was murdering the main stage  ...

Thought they were ace   , no sound issues that my drunken senses could determine 

I think its fair to say you can get a lot of variation at a Scream gig, they very much have good days and bad days. Or at least Mr Gillespie does.

I’ve seen them once and they were absolutely fantastic. I wouldn’t risk paying to see them a second time after that first experience.

12 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Billie Eilish not for me, left after 15 mins. The teenage girls went wild for it though. She's definitely got the charisma, but way too early in her career to have a headline slot. Wandered over to Primal Scream who were disappointing, was expecting much better. Eventually ended up at Foals, who were fantastic, really tight, nailed every song, great crowd.

I'm very impressed you got to see some of all three headliners over those stages

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think its fair to say you can get a lot of variation at a Scream gig, they very much have good days and bad days. Or at least Mr Gillespie does.

I’ve seen them once and they were absolutely fantastic. I wouldn’t risk paying to see them a second time after that first experience.

Best gig I ever saw Bobbie Gillespie in was a Jesus and Mary Chain gig and the Mary Chain got bottled off after 15 minutes with the first botttle thrown by Ben Matthews (AKA Ben Gunn, original guitarist of the Sisters of Mercy)

(I'm joking but that aside the rest of that story is true, Mandela Bar, Liverpool Uni possibly 1985)

It's a toss up as to which is Bobby's greater talent drumming or singing and he's a shite drummer ;)

And I do like Primal Scream and have seen them a few times for the record

Though back to the Glasto gig, I have no idea why he attempted English Town without Jenny Beth or at least a substitute. great song but he's never going to be able to carry that off live expecially at a festival

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Best gig I ever saw Bobbie Gillespie in was a Jesus and Mary Chain gig and the Mary Chain got bottled off after 15 minutes with the first botttle thrown by Ben Matthews (AKA Ben Gunn, original guitarist of the Sisters of Mercy)

(I'm joking but that aside the rest of that story is true, Mandela Bar, Liverpool Uni possibly 1985)

It's a toss up as to which is Bobby's greater talent drumming or singing and he's a shite drummer ;)

And I do like Primal Scream and have seen them a few times for the record

Though back to the Glasto gig, I have no idea why he attempted English Town without Jenny Beth or at least a substitute. great song but he's never going to be able to carry that off live expecially at a festival

My daughters went to the Hop Farm festival in 2008 - mainly to see Neil Young, but they were also looking forward to Primal Scream. They said PS were totally awful, worst act of the weekend. 

Got the radio on in the house. Windows are all shut. It’s still getting drowned out by some wailing from the festival a few hundred yards away. Happily it’s raining, cold and windy 😈. Diana Ross ‘ll catch her death when she’s on later.

• Sad 1

Seen Primal Scream a lot over the years and the performance has ranged from Stone Roses Reading Festival awful to middling to good. I think it just depends on the day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Seen Primal Scream a lot over the years and the performance has ranged from Stone Roses Reading Festival awful to middling to good. I think it just depends on the day. 

Stone Roses at Reading is the benchmark of appalling live performances for me. I don’t think I’ve ever ever seen worse 😂

Funnily enough I saw Primal Scream headline Reading (1994?!?) and think they were pretty decent that night (but my recollection is slightly hazy due to beverages!) and at one point was stood next to Chad Smith, the drummer from RHCP! 

• Like 1

Mine was at Maida Vale Studios, recorded live for BBC.

A guy walked to the front and said:

’hello, I’d like to welcome you all here on behalf of the BBC. Because of the confines of this studio, this will be exceptionally loud. As such the BBC advise the wearing of ear plugs and we have put free ear plugs around the studio. Please do wear them.’

Same bloke:

’I’d also like to welcome you on behalf of Primal Scream. If I see any of you **** wearing **** earplugs I will personally throw you the **** out. Enjoy the show.’

• Haha 3

Not sure if this is within site guidelines but I've got two tickets available for LCD Soundsystem at Brixton Academy on Friday (July 1st). Only looking for face value, private message me if interested

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Stone Roses at Reading is the benchmark of appalling live performances for me. I don’t think I’ve ever ever seen worse 😂

Mine was Ian Brown at Manchester vs Cancer, he couldnt sing for shit, played new songs which hadn't been released yet so the crowd didn't react to and even messed one of them up so badly he had to restart it

Everyone else came out and played the hits, weller and the charlatans played town called malice and power to the people, noel played acoustic, doves dj'd, brown mani and Andy rouke played I am the resurrection, echo and the bunnymen had Peter hook on stage to play ceremony, Bernard butler David mcalmont and Denise Johnson did still ill... And there's Ian Brown murdering new songs no one had heard of... It was shockingly bad

Went the year after too but it was a slightly different thing, lost its Manchester centre and was the enemy, the view, athlete, the fratellis, fun lovin criminals, happy Mondays and then a finale of badly drawn boy, Peter Hook, azuz abrahim, wellers drummer, Johnson and a few others singing smiths songs and instant karma 

• Like 1

Herbie Hancock was the one act I'd wanted to see at Glastonbury, but his polite overview of a career in Jazz was flying Funk light, sadly.

th-1206963658.jpg.f6905745b4b10b573d577bff7d06e38e.jpg

Out of the random stuff, the Swedish band the Magnettes were charming and a very entertaining watch.

After the Swedes the Americans arrived.

Through fortunate timing and some unlikely connections, Gangstagrass played on a proper hippy backwater stage.

They were put up in the field's accommodation, a yurt, and we spent a couple of days running around site.

Fireside at camp made for an interesting mix of middle class tree huggers, homeschooled hippy types and East Coast rappers  :crylaugh:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

File under Hayseed Dixie. 

Good Lord - No.

Gangstagrass write, play and sing to a muuuuuuch higher standard than coverstastic HD.

24 minutes ago, Xann said:

Good Lord - No.

Gangstagrass write, play and sing to a muuuuuuch higher standard than coverstastic HD.

Both gimmicks. Just, no. 

Evening folks. I entered one of these sky rewards competitions and won tickets for 2 to see Tears for fears and Allison Moyet at Warwick castles on 15/07/22. 

Im not a fan of either TBH so if any of you are I’m happy to send it you the e ticket by email. For free of course, not trying to sell them. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Evening folks. I entered one of these sky rewards competitions and won tickets for 2 to see Tears for fears and Allison Moyet at Warwick castles on 15/07/22. 

Im not a fan of either TBH so if any of you are I’m happy to send it you the e ticket by email. For free of course, not trying to sell them. 

Edit. Gone. 

Â