The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

i actually want to watch the hunger games but the gf point blank refuses to on the basis of twilight being so shit (and twilight is beyond **** awful IMO)

no doubt its been somewhat unfairly tarred with the same brush

I saw it on a plane so didn't' have to risk being caught coming out of a cinema by anyone I knew

I enjoyed it ...plus it had Jennifer Lawrence in it :wub:

Went to watch RED 2, The World's End and The Wolverine yesterday with my brother, I came out thinking they were better than I expected them to be. Only negative of the day being some see you next Tuesday in The Wolverine who not only talked for the first 20 minutes, but answered his phone twice! I don't like doing it, but I had to have one of the staff come kick him out, there's really no need to be talking on the phone during a film.

[*]Papillon - Loved this epic ever since I first saw it. I seem to like redemption films like Shawshank and the Count of Monte Cristo. Absolute classic.

You should read the book(s) then. The original once you get into it is a fantastic read and really hard to put down. Goes on a lot longer than the film portrayed. The second book (Banco) isn't as good but finishes the story off. It's supposedly a true story but for me it must be embellished.

The film version is done fairly well, the casting of McQueen and Hoffman both fit the characters well. Even though some parts don't do the book justice.

broken.jpg

Absolutely top drawer.  :thumb:

Did this ever get released in Cinemas?

I posted in here a while back asking if anyone knew when it was out because I couldn't find it listed in cinemas but it had apparently been released. Really wanted to see it.

Definitely on my list.

• Like 1

Watched 3 films already this weekend.

Despicable Me 2 - Harmless fun. I'm one of the few who actually thought this was funnier than the first one. But similar to the first in that it's funny, but falls well short of being in the same sort of league as Pixar films. Just nowhere near the depth that those kind of films have. Funny enough, and I'm sure kids would love it. 5/10

Gangster Squad - Really enjoyed this. Thought it was cool as ****, really slick and just a very enjoyable movie. Got a bit cheesy for my liking, some of which I'm sure was intended, but kept me guessing. Gosling was decent. Stone was fit! Worth a watch. 6/10

Flight - Not what I was expecting to be honest, purely storylinewise. i won't say why, for fear of spoilers, but just wasnt' the film I was expecting. That being said, it was very good. First half an hour was absolutely enthralling. Don't know how realistic it was, I'm guessing not very, but it had me totally hooked. From then on it was a typically great performance from Denzel and, as I said, a srurprising storyline for me. Best of the 3 I've watched this weekend. 7/10

Denzel should have got the oscar for it ....not DDL .....but in the words of the mafioso Forget about it!

"Forget about it is like if you agree with someone, you know, like Raquel Welch is one great piece of ass, forget about it. But then, if you disagree, like A Lincoln is better than a Cadillac? Forget about it! you know? But then, it's also like if something's the greatest thing in the world, like mingia those peppers, forget about it. But it's also like saying Go to hell! too. Like, you know, like "Hey Paulie, you got a one inch pecker?" and Paulie says "Forget about it!" Sometimes it just means forget about it."

Did this ever get released in Cinemas?

I posted in here a while back asking if anyone knew when it was out because I couldn't find it listed in cinemas but it had apparently been released. Really wanted to see it.

Definitely on my list.

It's pretty much flawless mate - loved it.

Denzel should have got the oscar for it ....not DDL .....but in the words of the mafioso Forget about it!

I still think Phoenix deserved the Oscar for his performance in 'The Master'.

• Like 1

I still think Phoenix deserved the Oscar for his performance in 'The Master'.

Definitely. I came out of the cinema thinking that was one of the best performances I've ever seen. Phoenix has slagged off the Oscars and he didn't have much chance against DDL playing a president.

Watched Only God Forgives this evening. I'd say it was equal parts tense and tedious. Not sure if there was some Greek mythology in there, can't go in to detail without sppoilers. He dedicated it to Jodorowsky (haven't seen any of his films) which might explain its style. It looks fantastic and is a challenge which doesn't deserve the slating it's taken.

I can highly recommend The Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre re Jodorowsky

Is One Eye from Valhalla Rising by the same director/writer referenced in Only God Forgives? I remember reading something about him 'reincarnating' the same character in his films. Them again, it could just have been a whacky theory on IMDB, I don't recall...spoiler tag the answer, if you wish

I need to watch Only God Forgives again as I'm sure I missed/misunderstood a couple of bits of it, I enjoyed it though. Its not for everyone as its a slow, lumbering beast that sparks into life suddenly for a few sparse moments then quietens down again for a bit before tearing your face off. Stunning to look at too. 

Watched Jack Reacher last night - regardless of reading the books and think Cruise is way too small to play the main role, I thought the film was a pretty decent popcorn movie. Easy to watch, good dialogue and entertaining.

Tonight, I have Silver Linings Playbook to view!

I can highly recommend The Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre re Jodorowsky

Is One Eye from Valhalla Rising by the same director/writer referenced in Only God Forgives? I remember reading something about him 'reincarnating' the same character in his films. Them again, it could just have been a whacky theory on IMDB, I don't recall...spoiler tag the answer, if you wish

The Holy Mountain was on telly recently. I only caught a few minutes of it and it looked plenty weird.

On OGF

I have no idea about Valhalla Rising but in OGF there's a bloke with a sword going around dealing out vengeance. Maybe he is the reincarnation.

Â