The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Gangster Squad - Really enjoyed this. Thought it was cool as ****, really slick and just a very enjoyable movie. Got a bit cheesy for my liking, some of which I'm sure was intended, but kept me guessing. Gosling was decent. Stone was fit! Worth a watch. 6/10

Really? This cliché by the numbers garbage was slaughtered by critics for a good reason.

Absolute garbage.

Gangster Squad - Really enjoyed this. Thought it was cool as ****, really slick and just a very enjoyable movie. Got a bit cheesy for my liking, some of which I'm sure was intended, but kept me guessing. Gosling was decent. Stone was fit! Worth a watch. 6/10

Really? This cliché by the numbers garbage was slaughtered by critics for a good reason.

Absolute garbage.

Well, I said I liked it because I thought it was cool and slick. I did say I thought it was cheesy, and a reason for that was it was fairly cliched/

But I can enjoy a cliched film every now and then, and I liked the cast and, as I said, thought it was stylish and quite "cool" (in a stereotypical old fashioned gangster kind of way)

I gave it a 6/10, which is pretty average really. I'm hardly proclaiming it as the best film ever.

I also watched it curled up on the sofa with Victorias Secret girl, so sue me if I was in a good mood :D

I'm sure this won't stop you ridiculing a differing opinion to yours though. Remember that pep talk I gave you in here a couple of weeks back? ;)

Absolute garbage.

Cv I'm curious, without you looking at the imdb top 250, what are your top five movies??? Edited by donnie

I'll list some stuff off the top of my head.

Terrance Malick

Paul Thomas Anderson

David Fincher

Christopher Nolan

Darren Aronofsky

Wes Anderson

Stanley Kuberic

Martin Scorsese

Coen Brothers

Pretty much everything they’ve made I like.

I also like Peter Wier, Sam Mendes, Clint Eastwood, Sydney Lumet, Ridley Scott

Films off the top of my head

Tree of Life

Moon

12 Angry Men

Aliens

Big Lebowski

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Blade Runner

Mulholland Drive

The Insider

Jaws

Big Fish

The New World

Adaptation

Aeroplane

Raging Bull

Jurassic Park

Drive

Old Boy

Predator

Ignoring your pathetic childish dig and IMDB 250 (you seem like and IMDB type)

Terrance Malick

Paul Thomas Anderson

David Fincher

Christopher Nolan

Darren Aronofsky

Wes Anderson

Stanley Kuberic

Martin Scorsese

Coen Brothers

Tree of Life

Moon

12 Angry Men

Aliens

Big Lebowski

Blade Runner

Mulholland Drive

The Insider

Jaws

Big Fish

The New World

Adaptation

Aeroplane

Raging Bull

Jurassic Park

Drive

Old Boy

Predator

Good list. I'd say mine in any order include:

There will be blood

One flew over the cuckoos nest

12 angry men

Goodfellas

Godfather part 1

Trainspotting

Usual suspects

City of god

Heat

Good, the bad, and the ugly,

Aliens

Rear window

Terrance Malick

Paul Thomas Anderson

David Fincher

Christopher Nolan

Darren Aronofsky

Wes Anderson

Stanley Kuberic

Martin Scorsese

Coen Brothers

Tree of Life

Moon

12 Angry Men

Aliens

Big Lebowski

Blade Runner

Mulholland Drive

The Insider

Jaws

Big Fish

The New World

Adaptation

Aeroplane

Raging Bull

Jurassic Park

Drive

Old Boy

Predator

I'm just always curious  about lists ...... not yours in particular though I happen to have quoted you

but are the films really THAT good and thus make peoples list on merit   , or do they make them because people see them on critics lists  (Predator excepted of course :) )  and kinda  feel they have to include them to give their list respectability ?

For example Big Lebowski is Ok , but Top 10 films I've ever seen .. not in this universe  .. but If I were to compile a list it would no doubt get slaughtered in much the same way

Terrance Malick

Paul Thomas Anderson

David Fincher

Christopher Nolan

Darren Aronofsky

Wes Anderson

Stanley Kuberic

Martin Scorsese

Coen Brothers

Tree of Life

Moon

12 Angry Men

Aliens

Big Lebowski

Blade Runner

Mulholland Drive

The Insider

Jaws

Big Fish

The New World

Adaptation

Aeroplane

Raging Bull

Jurassic Park

Drive

Old Boy

Predator

I'm just always curious about lists ...... not yours in particular though I happen to have quoted you

but are the films really THAT good and thus make peoples list on merit , or do they make them because people see them on critics lists (Predator excepted of course :) ) and kinda feel they have to include them to give their list respectability ?

For example Big Lebowski is Ok , but Top 10 films I've ever seen .. not in this universe .. but If I were to compile a list it would no doubt get slaughtered in much the same way

I really don't see the fuss in the big Lebowski either so your not alone. Just an average 7 out of 10 movie

Just taste innit?

I'd have Ferris Bueller's Day Off in my top 10 films. I'm not going by quality of film, just my favourite. I doubt that would make many people's lists. But there's something about the film, the time I saw it and the nostalgia involved in it that just makes me love it.

I'm sure there is a case of that happening in some people's list tony. Personally I don't read reviews of movies as reviews contain spoilers and all the movies I like I like from watching them myself. As my constantly abrasive tone in this thread I have strong views on movies and they are my views, influenced at best by discussion with friends.

I just posted a list of movies that I like off the top of my head.

As for The Big Lebowski I used to watch it repeatedly back in College. It's a superb movie and very funny. It's easily top 3 comedy movie ever in my book.

Just taste innit?

I'd have Ferris Bueller's Day Off in my top 10 films. I'm not going by quality of film, just my favourite. I doubt that would make many people's lists. But there's something about the film, the time I saw it and the nostalgia involved in it that just makes me love it.

It's a great movie. I loved it. I have a liking for the coming of age films like Dazed and Confused and American Graffiti

Terrance Malick

Paul Thomas Anderson

David Fincher

Christopher Nolan

Darren Aronofsky

Wes Anderson

Stanley Kuberic

Martin Scorsese

Coen Brothers

Tree of Life

Moon

12 Angry Men

Aliens

Big Lebowski

Blade Runner

Mulholland Drive

The Insider

Jaws

Big Fish

The New World

Adaptation

Aeroplane

Raging Bull

Jurassic Park

Drive

Old Boy

Predator

I'm just always curious  about lists ...... not yours in particular though I happen to have quoted you

but are the films really THAT good and thus make peoples list on merit   , or do they make them because people see them on critics lists  (Predator excepted of course :) )  and kinda  feel they have to include them to give their list respectability ?

For example Big Lebowski is Ok , but Top 10 films I've ever seen .. not in this universe  .. but If I were to compile a list it would no doubt get slaughtered in much the same way

What is wrong with predator?

It is in my top 5 of all time along with the running man

Billy isn't pleased

tumblr_luokjhpefp1qa39h2o1_500.jpg

"Billy, get to the Choppah"

We used to say that non stop for years. Even though Arnie never says it in the movie. He said "Run, go, get to the Choppah"

Only line I have said more that that is. "Yeah, yeah thats right" which Hicks says in Aliens.

My dad always (ALWAYS) roars like Chewbacca from Star Wars any time the word "chewy" is mentioned. I've caught myself mentally doing it too now...

Also the "Err, you've got a moustache" ".....I know..!" from Hot Fuzz is oft-quoted in our house.

And of course "Don't call me Shirley"

Â