The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

so did i. didnt take itself too serious and was just entertaining and didnt want to be anything more

Yep, that's how I see it too. And I don't know if those who make the films really think that what they film is realistic or think that people will think it is realistic. The only film of this kind that really goes there is Heat and shooting out scene which in fact is realistic. Or at least it was shown as a perfect example of a shoot out when my friend did his military service.

so did i. didnt take itself too serious and was just entertaining and didnt want to be anything more

Yep, that's how I see it too. And I don't know if those who make the films really think that what they film is realistic or think that people will think it is realistic. The only film of this kind that really goes there is Heat and shooting out scene which in fact is realistic. Or at least it was shown as a perfect example of a shoot out when my friend did his military service.

Simon West and Nick Cage team up again in Stolen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_(2012_film)

I think I like Tarantino's last films more than say Pulp fiction. Never got the greatness of that one.

I knew I wasnt the only one. Its good but its not a great film for me. always preferred Reservoir DOgs myself

Yes me too

Bored. Might as well do some notable items in my movie collection with a brief note on each. No particular order.

• Ronin - Great movie, Natascha McElhone, Jean Reno, De Niro, Audi S8, nuff said.
  • Last Man Standing - Old west version of any of the 'oh they're ****! Oh no, the baddies have killed each other!' type of Guy Ritchie capers. Bruce Willis in his prime.
  • Apocalypse Now Redux - Pretty good watch, but couldn't bring myself to watch it again after the real cow slaughter scene because I'm a massive carnivorous hypocrite. 
  • Coupling (all series) - Not a movie but included because it's so witty, funny, original, clever and awesome.
  • LA Confidential - A bit like Heat in that it twists and turns. Every one of the ensemble cast seems to be on their game in this one.
  • Papillon - Loved this epic ever since I first saw it. I seem to like redemption films like Shawshank and the Count of Monte Cristo. Absolute classic.
  • The Commitments - Stayed with me all my life. Love it. "I'm sorry you doubt me, brother Rabbyte". If you've never seen it, you really have to.
  • The Road to Wellville - Another Alan Parker classic. The first movie that my childhood heroes of John Cusack and Matthew Broderick starred in together. And, well, it has Anthony Hopkins in it.
  • Leon - Jean Reno as an assassin, training a very young Natalie Portman. Classic.
  • 12 Monkeys - One of my favourite ever. The music, the post-apocalyptic scenes, the Madeleine Stow. Another Willis at his prime.

I'd also just like to make a hat-tip to Brad Pitt. In the same way as Leonardo DiCaprio could be easily dismissed as a pretty boy only in movies for his looks, but is actually excellent, Brad Pitt has consistently been excellent in almost everything he's done. And he's done some really diverse roles. Micky the Pikey in Snatch, the detective in Se7en, the crazy 'nutcase' in 12 Monkeys, the drawling sergeant in Inglourious, the backwards aging man in Benjamin Button, the

imaginary other personality of Edward Norton

in Fight Club. He's done bloody everything and has done them all really well. Backslap.

The heat ....not Heat 

ooohhhhhh that's fine then :)

• Like 2

Watched The Place Beyond the Pines last night, and thought it was brilliant.  As good as Drive, possibly better.  Think I'll have to give Only God Forgives a try, despite it being the weakest of the three in terms of 'substance' (according to various reviews as well as people on here).

Currently watching Dumplings on Netflix. Will be recommending to unsuspecting friends and relatives.

This one?

MV5BMTI1OTYxNDY4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE4

I really liked that film and I know what you're saying about leaving future viewers unsuspecting although...

I imagine a lot of the smart-bottom's on here would guess some of the stuff that happens just from the name and genre

I just thought I'd check because Dumplings can sometimes mean...

boobs

Saw Wolverine last night

thought it was a bit Meh if I'm honest  ..maybe I should just stop watching the comic book stuff

do have a bit of a thing for Tao Okamoto though :)

Â