The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Saw Dredd last night my mate and I had the entire cinema to ourselves so got to feel like we had our own private screening :-)

It took about .2 of a sec to see it was better then the Sly version and took the first lot of blood splattering across the screen for me to be hooked... As mindless films go it was a rather good one , far far far better than total recall that I watched the week before , even if TR did have Kate Beckinsale in skimpy pants

Assume there will be a sequel ? More of the same please

It needs to make decent money for a sequel to be made and, despite a really small budget fir an action film, its not looking great. It needs to make a lot of its money here because Dredd is far less of a thing anywhere else in the world.

Dredd was the first film I'd seen at the cinema for 6 years.

Quite liked it too.

Not done 3D in a regular cinema and didn't know what to expect. It was quite nice, but seem to remember parts of the aged IMAX undersea flick as being pretty impressive.

Might have to see Dredd then. I was umming and ahhing about it. Liked the original, but the trailer for this one didn't grab me.

Only other film I've genuinely thought 3D added anything to, was Jackass 3D, weirdly.

I watched Control last night. Not the Joy Division one. The Ray Liotta, Willem Defoe, Ana-Lucia from Lost one. It was trashy, sounded horrible, and Liotta played this character who was REALLY BAD, LIKE REALLY BAD HE SAID **** ALOT, MAN, who is given the offer on death row of death or an experimental drugs program whose aim it is to calm down even the most aggreesive of killas. So he does the latter ofc. There are twists and turns, and a chase scene through an amusement park which included a huge leap across a log flume as it splashed into the water (this was the best part of the film). The plot twists do just enough to keep you interested, so I will give it a 6/10.

Have you seen 'Fanny and Alexander'?

Not yet, it's on the 'long movies that i'll get around to once winter is in full swing' list.

I watched Cabin in the Woods yesterday. Enjoyable, forgettable, meh.

Serious lack of BC.

Now I like Black Cock as much as the next man, but I'm not sure how it wouldve made Cabin in the Woods any better

Resident Evil Retribution 0/10

Paul WS Anderson never fails to disappoint does he

When will he realise the film franchise is about Resident evil and not a Star vehicle for his missus Milla Jovovich

Utter crap if you like to watch alot of slow mo and bullet time done badly this is your kind of movie

Please don't make another one its insulting to all fans of RE

This is a list from the legend that is Louis Theroux. It seems most apt to reproduce it in here.

I’m often asked to name my favourite documentaries. I’m much too indecisive and changeable to be able to nail down a definitive list. But here are twelve I like a lot. (I was going to do ten, but then I thought of two more…)

"A Question of Consent"

Superb disturbing doc made by the team that did Cocaine Cowboys, it recounts the alleged rape of a stripper at a fraternity party in Florida, much of which was filmed by the party-goers themselves. I watched it on a plane and had to keep minimizing the screen due to the adult content. I suppose I could have stopped watching but I was too engrossed.

"A Letter to Zachary"

A posthumous love letter from the filmmaker to his murdered friend, it has one of the most explosive and upsetting twists two thirds of the way through. I recently saw this was on the IMDB as one of the most popular documentaries of all time, it’s number two right after Night and Fog. So it’s not exactly obscure but it is totally riveting.

"Thin Blue Line"

I love this film. I can still hear the distinctive musical cadences of the principal character, Randall Dale Adams, and his palpable sense of bafflement at the course his life had taken: convicted of killing a cop in cold blood. If you haven’t seen it you’re in for a treat. And this one has a happy ending.

"American Movie"

Chris Smith followed a filmmaker called Mark Borchardt and his monosyllabic sidekick Mike Shank over the course of several years to create this beautiful portrait of a man attempting to make a low-budget masterpiece. Full of accidental comedy and poignant moments.

"The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun"

This one’s also about a man with a dream: an eccentric Danish bachelor who wants to convert his house into a home for Russian nuns. I saw it at Sheffield Docs Festival and never heard much about it afterwards. There’s something very special about a film that’s driven simply by actuality as it unfolds, as this one is.

"TV Junkie"

My friend Freddie Claire turned me onto it. The central character is a news reporter who obsessively documents his own life, to the point of filming his own spiralling drug addiction, the loss of his career and the breakdown of his marriage. The footage he films of his argument with his wife in front of the kids is unbelievably harrowing.

"The Queen of Versailles"

This is on at the cinema at the moment! Go see it! A wonderful portrait of a family as their dream of building America’s biggest private house crumbles in the wake of the credit crunch. It’s a riches-to-less-riches tale, very humane, very funny.

"Don’t Look Back"

Dylan’s 1965 gets the cinema verite treatment at the hands of documentary pioneer D.A. Pennebaker. Dylan comes across as both tremendously beguiling and also callow and slightly cruel. It’s black and white and looks beautiful. So many great scenes. I like the fans disagreeing about whether Dylan going electric made him just another pop band.

"Hoop Dreams"

I remember coming out of a screening of this in New York maybe fifteen years ago and just thinking Wow. The level of intimacy and the filmmaker’s commitment to the lives of their subjects: it’s like a novel.

"Catfish"

Some people said they found this fake but I bought it. There’s maybe one scene that’s a bit too good to be true, but overall I loved the strangeness of the quest and the amazing reveal when they find what they find. It’s hard to say too much without giving it away but basically it’s about an Internet romance gone awry.

"Exit Through The Gift Shop"

I used to find Banksy a bit annoying but I had a new respect for him after seeing this. It has that wonderful thing of a contributor slightly taking over the film and going in a strange and unexpected direction.

"Deep Water"

I just like this story a lot. I read the book when I was a kid, The Strange Voyage of Donald Crowhurst, about the solo round-the-world yachtsman who lost his mind at sea. But I didn’t realize there was so much archive. Very sad, too.

You know those giant eagles that carried Frodo back from Mt Doom ?.. ... Why didn't he use one to take the ring there in the first place ? Would have saved a lot of hassle .

The whole premise was Sauron assumed they were going to try and use the ring rather than destroy it. So firstly flying directly to Mount Doom would have a) made Sauron realise his folly and B) they would have been taken out by Nazgul fellbeasts or Mordor archers, take your pic.

Anyway, despite my annoyance at the Hobbit being in 3 films, I do really want to see it. Looks good.

You know those giant eagles that carried Frodo back from Mt Doom ?.. ... Why didn't he use one to take the ring there in the first place ? Would have saved a lot of hassle .

The whole premise was Sauron assumed they were going to try and use the ring rather than destroy it. So firstly flying directly to Mount Doom would have a) made Sauron realise his folly and B) they would have been taken out by Nazgul fellbeasts or Mordor archers, take your pic.

Anyway, despite my annoyance at the Hobbit being in 3 films, I do really want to see it. Looks good.

Why didn't that one get nailed in the first film when flying and saving Gandalf from the top of that big **** off tower?

Why didn't that one get nailed in the first film when flying and saving Gandalf from the top of that big **** off tower?

That was Isengard, not Mordor. There weren't any Nazgul roaming around

Â