The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Probably already mentioned, but just come back from watching Lawless. Cracking film, Tom Hardy is a solid actor. Props to Nick Cave, his screenplay and his balmy soundtrack (as if it wouldn't have bluegrass legends singing Captain Beefheart)

Yeah I really wanna see this, my mate went to see it and said it was awesome

plus he said that there is a townes van zandt song in there so it'll be worth watching to see who covers that

talking of nick cave has anyone ever listened to his audiobook ''the death of bunny munroe'' its cracking all about a salesman who is obsessed with avril lavigne and kylie minogue and is pretty...well...unhinged to say the least

I'll watch The Hobbit, because I absolutely love the book.

But the fact it's going to be 3 movies has really put me off to be honest.

Exactly this.

If The Hobbit is three films, then LOTR should have been twelve.

Watched "Dark Shadows" the other day. 5/10, absolute toss.

However, I left the mrs alone with the remotes last night for 30 seconds and had to have "The 1st wives club" on easily one of the worst things I have ever had the misfortune of glimpsing at. So bad it made me feel ill and I had to go outside. 1/10. It gets a 1 only becasue of Goldie Hawn other than that, oxygen thieves the lot of em.

Exactly this.

But isn't this also based on the rest of the books about Middle Earth, like Silmarillion? I think I've read somewhere that that's the reason behind the 3 films thing. And if so, I don't mind it being 3 films.

I watched Panic Button last night. I don't know why. I just wanted to see where it was going. Don't worry, you can't hate me as much as I hate myself. I knew it wouldn't end well.

Exactly this.

But isn't this also based on the rest of the books about Middle Earth, like Silmarillion? I think I've read somewhere that that's the reason behind the 3 films thing. And if so, I don't mind it being 3 films.

No, just the Hobbit and some appendices from LOTR and some of Tolkeins notes bridging the gap. They've never been allowed to touch the Silmarillion and given that the Tolkein estate hates Jackson and the studios and what they did with the LOTR, they'll never get the rights either.

Exactly this.

No, just the Hobbit and some appendices from LOTR and some of Tolkeins notes bridging the gap. They've never been allowed to touch the Silmarillion and given that the Tolkein estate hates Jackson and the studios and what they did with the LOTR, they'll never get the rights either.

Ok, but still more than "just" the Hobbit.

I loved the LOTR film trilogy, just as I loved the books, so I'll definitely go and watch this. But I haven't read The Hobbit.

Need to watch more Bergman. Watched 'Through A Glass Darkly' and 'Hour Of The Wolf' recently. Both excellent.
Have you seen 'Fanny ...

I think Rob's a regular viewer .... :winkold:

Need to watch more Bergman. Watched 'Through A Glass Darkly' and 'Hour Of The Wolf' recently. Both excellent.
Have you seen 'Fanny ...

I think Rob's a regular viewer .... :winkold:

There's always one.

Exactly this.

I loved the LOTR film trilogy, just as I loved the books, so I'll definitely go and watch this. But I haven't read The Hobbit.

I'm a bit all over the place.

Loved The Hobbit, not sure about the film.

Didn't really like LOTR books (although it's YEARS since I've read them), but loved the films.

Haven't even attempted the Silmarillion.

Might try and read LOTR again actually. Might enjoy it more second time round.

Exactly this.

I'm a bit all over the place.

Loved The Hobbit, not sure about the film.

Didn't really like LOTR books (although it's YEARS since I've read them), but loved the films.

Haven't even attempted the Silmarillion.

Might try and read LOTR again actually. Might enjoy it more second time round.

Do it. I enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time I read it. Was only 14-15 the first time. 25 the 2nd time. And that time I found it being one of the best books I've read. Or three of the best books.

why dont the family like what jackson did with LOTR?

i know he butchered the hobbiton ending, took out some characters, promoted and demoted some characters for some reason and (IMO the worst crime) had frodo give the push (really cant understand why or what it added) but it wasnt that abd

Have you seen 'Fanny and Alexander'?

Not yet, it's on the 'long movies that i'll get around to once winter is in full swing' list.

For my money it's THE most perfect Christmas movie (along with It's a Wonderful Life, obviously). Contender for my favourite film ever.

Make sure you get the five hour TV version (currently only available in region 1 format).

why dont the family like what jackson did with LOTR?

i know he butchered the hobbiton ending, took out some characters, promoted and demoted some characters for some reason and (IMO the worst crime) had frodo give the push (really cant understand why or what it added) but it wasnt that abd

Agreed. As a fan of the book, I feared the worst, but (with a few minor reservations) I thought it was actually a pretty damn fine interpretation.

And surely the family must have made a shit load of money from the films, even just through increased book sales as a result of the rise in popularity of them off the back of the films.

Assuming they get money from that?!

Â