The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I watched Dredd on Tuesday, haven't really had chance to put down my thoughts.

I really enjoyed it, even the 3d wasn't particularly obtrusive.

It's brutal in all the right ways, it can be quite pretty, it has completely deadpan humour, it looks right, and despite a pretty simple storyline manages to hit all the right notes along the way to drag you into it.

Urban absolutely nails Dredd. He's not the most 3-dimensional of characters and easily can fall into caricature but Urban plays him straight as the most hard ass of hard ass coppers. The film opens with him responding to a call to apprehend some guys in a van who are under the influence of a drug that forms the heart of the plot, Slo-mo (...guess what that does!) and already wanted. They choose to fire on him with an Uzi as he chases them down on his Lawmaster bike and he doesn't flinch, when dispatch asks if he requires back up he growls back 'No'. He says very little throughout the film but every word, and every movement, is perfect.

And Thirlby is great as rookie psychic Judge Anderson. I think I fell in love a little by the time the credits rolled. and her psychic ability is handled fairly well.

I can see some people disliking it - a lot of the action is played strangely matter of factly - Dredd dispatches those standing in his way with little ceremony. A few scenes have him simply set up an encounter and professionally pop off shots as he walks through criminals. Thats not to say all scenes are like that - a notable scene turns the cold professional killing into a curiously beautiful if also horrific. And between bullets flying the film drops in pace considerably.

I really enjoyed it. Go see it. I hope it can make enough to justify a sequel, sadly I think even at a £50m budget it's going to struggle.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts.

I did geek out a little bit at the 'Chopper' graffiti on the side of the building and was a little disappointed in design of the Lawgiver (very minor criticism though).

I'd also like to add that I thought Lena Headey was absolutely evil (in a great way) as Ma-Ma. She's been a great favourite of mine for years and I thought her portrayal was wonderfully chilling.

They got the gritty look and feel bang on and all I can do now is hope for a sequel.

Oh, and Chindie...the helmet was fine. 8)

Been to see 'Total Recall', 'Lawless' and 'Premium Rush' over the past few days.

'Total Recall' was a bit of a mess in all honesty. Visually it is pretty special though when it comes to the world they built. Plus the action sequences are decent. Other than that it isn't all that impressive and proves that they should have just left it alone.

I personally liked 'Lawless' a lot, although it certainly isn't without its flaws. Shia still isn't convincing me that he can act. The rest of the cast made up for it though and the film is shot really well. I personally like anything that deals with the prohibition so I feel my enjoyment of it may have been heavily influenced by that.

'Premium Rush' was quite entertaining. Fast paced action on a bike. Quite an original concept (apart from the plot) and good popcorn entertainment. Ignore the cheesy parts (plus some of the acting) and it's a fun little ride.

The helmet would be my one major bit of art design criticism - it was too big for Urban! ;) The rest of it was perfect though - initially I had wanted the more overblown Dredd look but I grew to love the more utilitarian style they gave it. Never more so than the sequence where Dredd does his lone walk through the block and all you get is him just stalking the corridors with no sound besides the thud of his boots and the creak of the leather kit he's decked out in.

Ryan Gosling's a pretty good actor.

A-new-species-of-monkey-k-007.jpg

Pardon me for bringing this up again, but I was expecting a flurry of posts remarking on the amazing similarity between the boat race on this newly-discovered species of primate and that of the well-known Hollywood actor.

Is it really just me who has noticed this glaringly obvious resemblance? :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Scientologists basically believe in aliens. Many people (non-scientologists) believe in the possibility or existence of intelligent life other than our own. So essentially they believe in something that is mathematically nowhere near as far fetched as the other religions that believe in imaginary beings. Just sayin'

Don't they Believe that Aliens came down, and injected their DNA into Chimps so that they could continue as a species? Or something like that.

Ryan Gosling's a pretty good actor.

A-new-species-of-monkey-k-007.jpg

Pardon me for bringing this up again, but I was expecting a flurry of posts remarking on the amazing similarity between the boat race on this newly-discovered species of primate and that of the well-known Hollywood actor.

Is it really just me who has noticed this glaringly obvious resemblance? :)

Yes.

watched dredd and loved it, i even enjoyed some of the 3D thats how good i thought it was, the slow mo wasnt gimicky the lack of story wasnt a problem i even liked how in some bits they didnt go in to made for idiots mode and show you more than you needed to see and the violence was brillaint

The Avengers has been censored for the UK release, for pretty much no reason beyond Disney being incredibly lazy. Only a very, very minor changes, no cuts involved, but it'll still annoy me that I'll know they've changed something for absolutely no reason. This version of the film hasn't been certified by the BBFC either, technically, which could cause some trouble if anyone makes a fuss.

Disney really hates the UK. They've even sold off the extras in numerous markets to be retailer exclusives. And they've completely binned the commentary track for the UK release, citing the UK release coming too soon for them to add it... despite the fact that it's only released here a week before the US...

Â