The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched an early 90s French film Three Colours Blue - with mme binoche. At beginning of film she loses a composer husband and kid in a car crash, and then a very french drama> of sorts plays out. Don't know how to describe it or why I liked it but it was engaging all the same,. Kept watching even though I didn't really know what I was watching, or what the point, if any, the film had. It ambles along for 90 minutes, and I enjoyed it again, but again no idea why. Good acting I suppose.

Just watched an early 90s French film Three Colours Blue - with mme binoche. At beginning of film she loses a composer husband and kid in a car crash, and then a very french drama> of sorts plays out. Don't know how to describe it or why I liked it but it was engaging all the same,. Kept watching even though I didn't really know what I was watching, or what the point, if any, the film had. It ambles along for 90 minutes, and I enjoyed it again, but again no idea why. Good acting I suppose.

One of my favourite films ever. La liberté

Back from Killing them softly

Wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be from the reviews

Bit boring in places , needless to say I hated the ending ( no spoilers)

I had similar views on "no country" and I think that film sparked lots of debate about " ahh you just didn't get it " and so on ... I want to be entertained as much as anything and you know Dredd last week entertained me ...killing them softly had its moments and Brad is as good as ever but it didn't I it for me ... Maybe 6.5 out of 10

Looper next week .....

needless to say I hated the ending

Just curious. Why is that 'needless' to say? Do you always hate endings or something? :lol:

:-)

the needless was that I'm a simpleton really and hated "No Country "for exactly the same reason :-)

don't really want to give the ending away but unless it's part of a pre planned trilogy I like thing wrapped up with a bow and they drive off into the sunset .. closure and there was a point to it all .. ..in the Departed you sorta know that Matt Damon aint coming back for an inferior sequel :-)

.. ..in the Departed you sorta know that Matt Damon aint coming back for an inferior sequel :-)

i didnt because thats not what happens in infernal affairs :angry:

oops my bad

if it makes you feel better i hadn't seen infernal affairs before so you've spoilt the ending for me now :-)

I rewatched Kill List, and my problem isn't really with how it all unfolds, the story is coherent enough. The problem is the film's tone, it is all over the place, and as a result different sections look like they belong in another film. It is a film that never really pieces together.

Having said that, even if the plot is coherent, it is still daft.

Breathing+-+FINAL+Quad.jpg

Really powerful character piece. Very emotive movie due to it's main setting (a mortuary) and themes of redemption and abandonment. It has some wonderfully subtle performances, particularly from Thomas Schubert as Roman in his first screen role.

It's also the directorial debut of Karl Markovics who some may know from his acting roles (The Counterfeiters / Unknown etc). I'll definitely be keeping an eye on his future work.

actually while i'm here

does anyone else get pissed off when a Trailer for a film contains the heading

" From the producer of ........"

Now I may go see a film if it has a certain actor in it and I may go see a film as long as it hasn't been directed by Tim Burton but the producer !! ... give me a break

It just made no sense to me. Like a sequence of random events, culminating in infanticide. It felt like they got to the final third and thought "**** it, let's do a take on Wicker Man" when all along I'd been watching (and enjoying up until then) a completely different film.

Â