The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Seconded on The Machinist, superb film.

I just re-watched:

AP2014-brando-on-the-waterfront.jpg

Still superb, but still rather undermined by Brando's frankly incomprehensible use of eyeliner.

recently watched-

submarine - thought it was excellent,not hilariously funny but still really good, the dad is a weird character

safe house - a good 45 minutes of it is a bit pointless, the stadium scenes are shit IMO (as always in movies) and the "twist" is glaringly obvious, its still an ok film though, DW is as good as usual but at times he doesnt half look old

I recently watched Never Let Me Go, it was really good, but the content was a little disturbing. After that I fancied watching something a bit more light-hearted and ended up watching Date Night which was very funny.

Next on the list is Drive. I bought it on DVD a few days ago but haven't had time to watch it yet. I've heard good things.

On a plane yesterday I watched a film called "The Way".

Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez, James Nesbit, Various Unknowns. Man-goes-on-walking-pilgrimage-to-mourn-death-of-son-and-makes-some-new-friends.

A two out of five at best, but it did have one redeeming feature:

An argument between James Nesbit and another of the characters has a third character saying "That's funny coming from someone with an Aston Villa badge on his backpack." And sure enough, if you look carefully in later scenes you can see that Jimmy's character does indeed have a 1982-style round badge on the cover flap. Fame for Aston Villa and Irish Villans at last.

Ah only 2/5? Shame, I heard about the way when I was having a martin sheen love in when I started watching the west wing and it's on my to watch list. Will watch anyway regardless.

Just like I will watch Bill and Ted 3 no matter how shite it's likely to be ( no george carlin of course :( )

Deffo more than a two-and-a-half movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a nice character-study piece, a wee bit hackneyed at times but still worth a look, IMO.

Fair enough. But it's a film to recommend at your peril. Maybe you could say it's three stars if you like flicks like Beaches and one star if you're more into Iron Man. The characters were a bit weakly developed imo, and it should have been possible to write in a few more laughs, given the subject matter. And even drug-taking cloggies are pissed off at the (laughably erroneous) stereotype of being a nation of drug-takers. Work a bit harder Mr Scriptwriter.

mite go and watch dont be afraid of the dark now, I am seriously bored...dont think I have ever been this bored in my life.

only other films I have at the moment that I can watch on my laptop are the skin I live in and irriversible, cant be arsed with subtitles though at the moment so its gunna be dont be afraid of the dark

thought Don't be afraid of the dark was ok. Started a bit so so, but got better in the end.

Just seen Dances with wolves for the first time. It was decent, but I don't get the hype it got when it came. Costner has made a lot better films than that. But still ok.

Are you kidding?! It looks awful.

Disney have, in the last 2 weeks, publically released about 15 minutes of the film for people to watch, including one release just the other day of a whole 10 minute segment. They know they've got a potential enormous flop on their hands and are desperately trying to get people interested in watching it.

Even people that have liked the film have basically said it's riddled with problems, from terrible plotting to awful dialogue and worse acting.

Given that it's rumoured to have cost $250m, and that the rule of thumb with box office returns is that to make money, you need to take twice your budget, they've got reason to be worried.

It's their own fault for giving Andrew Stanton so much money to basically make a movie for himself, yes he has a track record, and has worked on some brilliant films but they are mad if they think it's going to make a profit.

Â