The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just back from John Carter, much more watchable than I was expecting. Also more humour in it than I thought there would be.

Although the 3D was again barely noticable.

I believe it's retrofitted.

$250m film. Retrofitted 3D.

Think about that.

I wish 3D would just **** off and die.

Me too. I bloody hate 3D as it's so pointless. It was a gimmick years ago and it still is in my opinion.

On another note, I also went to see 'John Carter'. I actually thought it was awful from beginning to end. The acting was poor, the special effects were poor and the whole thing just felt rushed. I thought the trailer looked bad, yet the film itself makes the trailer look fantastic. It's so bad that it makes 'Prince of Persia' look like a decent film.

Good concept and it could have been a good film. Yet another opportunity wasted and more special effects (and money) thrown at a pile of shite basically...

When it comes to 'Inglorious Basterds' I'm personally not a fan. Great performance from Waltz and some of the lines in it are good. Yet it just doesn't do it for me. I don't get the Tarantino hype at all though to be honest and actually think he's a very average director.

I don't get the Tarantino hype at all though to be honest and actually think he's a very average director.

Troll alert :)

Now I don't know much about "film making", but it's pretty hard to watch Pulp Fiction without thinking there must be a brilliant director behind it.

In any case, even if he's an average director, he is an exceptionally brilliant producer: His choice of actors, music and sets is always spot on.

But where he is above all others is in his ability to write funny, edgy, streetwise dialogue.

I doubt he's an "average" director, but even if he is, I don't care. I like his films.

Indeed. He's clearly an excellent director and well lauded for good reason. It has become somewhat popular to dislike him out of spite I think, as well as the fact he's a bit of a goon.

Personally, I can understand why some wouldn't like his fan boy, comic book approach to storytelling. I watched Pulp Fiction recently and found it disappointing. It wasn't what I remembered and part of that reason is the expansion of my own cinematic knowledge and experience. It is though undeniably excellently shot, directed and written. Likewise Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill and Inglorious. Like them or loath them you should admire them.

I personally don't admire those films and I'm not trolling at all. I just really don't rate him at all as a director...

Each to their own though. I suppose many people dislike Del Toro and Ridley Scott, yet they are amongst my favourite directors.

I personally don't admire those films and I'm not trolling at all. I just really don't rate him at all as a director...

Each to their own though. I suppose many people dislike Del Toro and Ridley Scott, yet they are amongst my favourite directors.

I'm hoping you can explain why.

I like Del Toro and Ridley Scott because they're good at their job. They don't always nail it (G.I. Jane anyone?) but I admire their craft.

I'm hoping you can explain why.

I like Del Toro and Ridley Scott because they're good at their job. They don't always nail it (G.I. Jane anyone?) but I admire their craft.

I personally haven't really enjoyed any of Tarantino's films. 'Jackie Brown' and 'Reservoir Dogs' are good films, yet I just don't think they're fantastic. His other films like 'Kill Bill', 'Inglorious Basterds' and 'Death Proof' are all very mediocre in my eyes.

Fair enough, maybe I went a bit over the top by saying he's a poor director. Perhaps I should have just stated that he isn't my cup of tea.

I personally haven't really enjoyed any of Tarantino's films. 'Jackie Brown' and 'Reservoir Dogs' are good films, yet I just don't think they're fantastic. His other films like 'Kill Bill', 'Inglorious Basterds' and 'Death Proof' are all very mediocre in my eyes.

Fair enough, maybe I went a bit over the top by saying he's a poor director. Perhaps I should have just stated that he isn't my cup of tea.

And Pulp Fiction? Because if you think that's a good film as well, you have him batting .500.

As for the last paragraph, can't really argue. He's hardly my favourite director either. Give me Cronenberg or the Coen brothers any day. Heck, Nolan probably carries more clout with me.

What I love about QT's films is that if you see one of his films without knowing he directed it, it's extremely obvious within the style and dialogue that he is the director. Not many directors do that for me to be honest.

I watched Contagion last night, what a **** utterly pointless film that was.

I felt like I'd seen the plot of the film a hundred times and it offered nothing and I mean nothing original, utter rubbish. If you are thinking of watching this don't, save yourself the time and the money.

I felt like I'd seen the plot of the film a hundred times and it offered nothing and I mean nothing original, utter rubbish. If you are thinking of watching this don't, save yourself the time and the money.

All it was was a rip off of a brilliant film made nearly 20 years ago and ultimately could never better the classic that was......

Outbreak_Varese_VSD_5599.jpg

I actually enjoyed it, it's a popcorn flick. Left my mind the instant it finished but it passed the time without offence. Gave it 6/10 on IMDB I think.

The one thing that really, really, REALLY grated me was the 'affair' storyline. If somebody can explain the point of that to me then go right ahead.

I'm in the minority who doesn't actually think the Big Lebowski is that good.

I even watched it a second time to make sure.

Good, certainly. But I wasn't as in to it as everyone else seems to be

I'm in the minority who doesn't actually think the Big Lebowski is that good.

I even watched it a second time to make sure.

Good, certainly. But I wasn't as in to it as everyone else seems to be

Yup this pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

Â