The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Chronicle - 6/10

Showed promise, just lost interest in it towards the end. Was predictable, but entertaining enough. Ending was shit.

Ironclad - 7.5/10

Decent enough story, awesome battle scenes, just not enough oomph when they weren't fighting. Loved some of the characters.

Good result for The Artist at the Oscars.

I expect the backlash will start now.

Backlash began not long after it came out - an awful lot of the audience appears to have been largely nonplussed by it. Anyone who listens to Kermode and Mayo on 5Live will know that they largely receieved correspondance from people who's overwhleming reaction was 'It's not really all that, is it?', with complaints specifically that it's got all the depth of a cardboard cutout.

As someone who is unlikely to watch the Artist, my own thoughts on the very idea of it makes me unsurprised at the reaction.

As one brought up with Tarantino and pretty much anyone that followed, i can not see the appeal of a silent film. give me two hours of people talking anyy day. I won't bother with The Artist, despite what Oscars voters (old men) say. Chuffed for Woody Allen though.

Anyway, just got my hands on We Need To Talk About Kevin, looking forward to it.

Watched X-Men: First Class on Saturday. Liked it. Fassbender and McAvoy gave good lead performances I thought. And I do like a bit of January Jones :nod:

Fassbender sounded more and more Irish as the film went on! I did like it though.

Step Brothers - Brilliantly silly. Boats and Ho's! Great daft fun.

Babel - Good, interesting if depressing film let down by too many unresolved questions/situations.

Gonna watch Mesrine at some point this week. Heard alot of good things about it.

No I haven't, I have an aversion to any story told as a series of letters. Does it differ much from the film?

No, it stays quite true to the book. In fact it's one of the better adaptations i've seen. It also has a (not surprisingly) fantastic performance by Tilda Swinton.

It's a pity about your aversion btw, because imo the book is superb and I'm always interested in the old Nature/Nurture debate.

Watched X-Men: First Class on Saturday. Liked it. Fassbender and McAvoy gave good lead performances I thought. And I do like a bit of January Jones :nod:

Fassbender sounded more and more Irish as the film went on! I did like it though.

I did stifle a laugh as he turned into 'Magneto'Mara' towards the end. That film would, regardless, have been far better if it was just about him offing Nazis for 2 hours.

MV5BMTQyODQ0OTY4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk2ODYyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR8,0,214,317_.jpg

Cronenberg is the man and Debbie Harry is naked. What more needs to be said?

Broken link is broken Dave, but I take it it's Videodrome? He loves a nice bit of 'body' horror does our Mr.Cronenberg.

MV5BMTQyODQ0OTY4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk2ODYyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR8,0,214,317_.jpg

Cronenberg is the man and Debbie Harry is naked. What more needs to be said?

Broken link is broken Dave, but I take it it's Videodrome? He loves a nice bit of 'body' horror does our Mr.Cronenberg.

Broken link is unbroken?

Don't we all love a bit of body horror?

My favourite director by far it would seem. I won't say much about the film and I'd be hard pressed to explain anyway but it would be great if people could watch it knowing almost **** all about it as I did.

It's not his best work but it's, ahem, creative and original to say the least.

Videodrome is **** brilliant, definitely my favourite Cronenburg film. I guess noiseheads/power electronis artists must have a similar taste in cinema, as that is sampled a lot. Propergol did a wonderful track using a bunch of samples called Nicki Brand, and I've used it too - Brian O'Blivion's "Battle for North America" speech :)

LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH

avengers-assemble-the-avengers-gets-new-title-and-official-poster-81282-470-75.jpg

Latest Avengers poster, with new, UK only, shitty title! Presumably because of the old TV series, still, what an awful name.

And the poster seems to have been done by someone halfway through a Photoshop course.

Anywho, new trailer tonight, here's hoping it's a goodie.

Having said I'm not a fan of superhero movies, or of the Marvel universe (I was always a D.C. kid), I DID used to like Sergeant Fury. So it really pisses me off that they've made Nick Fury black. Not a racist thing, it's just that he wasn't!

Â