The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Having said I'm not a fan of superhero movies, or of the Marvel universe (I was always a D.C. kid), I DID used to like Sergeant Fury. So it really pisses me off that they've made Nick Fury black. Not a racist thing, it's just that he wasn't!

In the Marvel Ultimate universe, which the films have taken a fair amount of inspiration from, Nick Fury is black. In fact he's actually based upon Samuel L Jackson, looks wise.

UltimateNickFury.jpg

The Ultimate universe was an idea that Marvel had, about 10 years ago, to help new readers into their stable, who may be put off by the fact that some of these characters have 40 year old back stories. It's effectively a complete reboot of the traditional Marvel universe, taking all the well known characters and restarting them from the beginning, with some tweaks to their formulas and changing up some of the stories (for example in the Ultimates universe, Peter Parker is, IIRC, legit dead - not comic hero he'll be back in 10 issues time dead, he's done - theres a new permanent Spidey. Same thing has happened to other big name characters in that universe) for a more modern or interesting take on things, some characters radically changed, others are more less just reruns with big plot divergences occuring once in a while.

Looks like big dumb fun, I'm sold.

Still utterly none the wiser who's in league with Loki. Hulk catching Iron Man is somehow... just... a great shot. Looks like they're going to go for a balls out huge action scene to end it, and it looks great. Finally.

Having said I'm not a fan of superhero movies, or of the Marvel universe (I was always a D.C. kid), I DID used to like Sergeant Fury. So it really pisses me off that they've made Nick Fury black. Not a racist thing, it's just that he wasn't!

In the Marvel Ultimate universe, which the films have taken a fair amount of inspiration from, Nick Fury is black. In fact he's actually based upon Samuel L Jackson, looks wise.

UltimateNickFury.jpg

The Ultimate universe was an idea that Marvel had, about 10 years ago, to help new readers into their stable, who may be put off by the fact that some of these characters have 40 year old back stories. It's effectively a complete reboot of the traditional Marvel universe, taking all the well known characters and restarting them from the beginning, with some tweaks to their formulas and changing up some of the stories (for example in the Ultimates universe, Peter Parker is, IIRC, legit dead - not comic hero he'll be back in 10 issues time dead, he's done - theres a new permanent Spidey. Same thing has happened to other big name characters in that universe) for a more modern or interesting take on things, some characters radically changed, others are more less just reruns with big plot divergences occuring once in a while.

sgt12.jpg

Reboot, schmeboot.

A Howlers movie might have been quite fun (I know a couple of them pop up in the recent Captain America film). But Inglourious Basterds was more or less that under another name.

So let's go back to DC and see a Sgt Rock and/or Haunted Tank movie.

Looks like big dumb fun, I'm sold.

Still utterly none the wiser who's in league with Loki. Hulk catching Iron Man is somehow... just... a great shot. Looks like they're going to go for a balls out huge action scene to end it, and it looks great. Finally.

I like that trailer a lot. It looks like they are just going to throw everything at it and make it big dumb fun. I'm glad they haven't gone for a more serious approach. This kind of film needed to be an over the top romp. Job done by the looks of it.

I watched j.edger last night

Very good film nothing spectacular, superbly acted but a bit of a slow burner.

It's one of those films you know exactly what you are going to get before you go into it.

The made quite a big thing of him being gay as well which whilst I knew about the rumours I thought they were always pretty strongly denied so that was quite a brave move if that was the case

that was my problem with it, they made a film about him being gay whereas IMO he is a far more interesting character than that, dont know if it plays to the yank audience where that will create far more of a stir whereas i didnt care for it

they should have focused more on his professional life, his relationship with kennedys is enough material for a great film alone

Watched Tintin last night and was not impressed. For a kid's film a large chunk of the plot covers alcoholism. Spielberg is really losing it after this, War Horse and Crystal Skull.

Watched Tintin last night and was not impressed. For a kid's film a large chunk of the plot covers alcoholism. Spielberg is really losing it after this, War Horse and Crystal Skull.
What makes you think Tintin is a kids' film? Most of those retro comic book movies are aimed at adults who remember them from when they were kids.

What makes you think Tintin is a kids' film? Most of those retro comic book movies are aimed at adults who remember them from when they were kids.

I thought they were aimed at kids. I was surprised Tintin had a gun. How old is Tintin meant to be? Everything is signposted to an annoying degree in the film. Snowy was highlight for me.

Mesrine is ace. Vincent Cassel is magnificent.
Under-rated actor. I've never seen him be anything other than brilliant.

I watched Warhorse over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit apprehensive to begin with (after all, it's a film about a horse) but I thought it was brilliantly done.

Iron_Sky_by_LordDavid041.jpg

Undead Nazi's on the moon? I cannot wait

And before you ask yes its real here's the trailer

Its going to get nazi

You need to watch....

dead-sno-209x300.jpg

I remember Kermode talking about "Iron Sky" a while back and he seemed really enthused, met the guys who were making it at a festival and they were real buffs. Like the guys and girls that made Dead Snow.

If it is half as good as the latter I can't wait.

Watched the machinist again yesterday, brilliant film, so dark and oppressive. Bale is excellent as usual and you really get taken along for a ride during the 90 odd mins.

Really reccomend it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Â