The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Dune 2 is floating high on the open seas. 

On a door big enough only for one?

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes but The class thing is actually massively exaggerated. There was hardly any class discrimination when it came to escaping except the logistical point that first class passengers were closer to the deck so naturally got out faster. 

The only real discrimination was gender, because of the women and children first command. 

You were far more likely to survive if you were a woman in third class than if you were a man in first class

It also depended what side of the ship you were trying to get on a boat from.

One side of the ship was being loaded by Lightoller who essentially interpreted the “women and children” first order as “no men” and stuck to it so rigidly he let boats go with loads of empty seats rather than letting on men who were stood right there. The other side was being supervised by someone who would let men get on when he couldn’t see any more women and children to load.

I didn’t realise until listening to that rest is history podcast that lightoller was the basis for mark rylances character in Dunkirk. He captained his small boat over in 1940 to rescue soldiers from the beach. He was the highest ranking officer to get off the titanic. What a life.

At a bit of a lot this afternoon, so I stumbled across this. If you’ve not seen it, watch it absolutely brilliant, bonkers, batshit nuts

image.jpeg.f3aa0508060f14baef2adb2ab7c236cf.jpeg

• Like 1

Wife took the kids to see Ghostbusters Frozen Empire this morning whilst I was at work.

They all really enjoyed it. No doubt I’ll watch it when it becomes available to stream. 

14 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Watched the reimagining of Roadhouse last night.

it was laughably bad as expected.

Good bad or bad bad?

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Good bad or bad bad?

A mixture of both - some of it was utterly cringey with some ropey CGI deployed on the opening fight scene involving Post (buffet) Malone…

Connor McGregor managed to parody his most obnoxious self and hopefully is not destined for more acting credits!

Jack Gyllenhaal is fine, if a little smarmy but his love interest clearly won a competition with Jewsons! 

Let’s face it, the original is not the greatest film but a bit of a cult favourite. 

It was 2hrs of entertainment but nothing to rave about. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Wife took the kids to see Ghostbusters Frozen Empire this morning whilst I was at work.

They all really enjoyed it. No doubt I’ll watch it when it becomes available to stream. 

I'm a big big Ghostbusters fan and I think Frozen Empire was a mess. It's a massive letdown. They tried, but I think the writing is really lacking spark, and the pacing is terrible. It promises a lot but just does not deliver. 

The definition of sub par. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

If Ti West manages to land this one, he could have one of the greatest horror trilogies ever on his hands.

Can't bloody wait.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

On 07/04/2024 at 17:34, tinker said:

Dune 2 is floating high on the open seas. 

I've just got back from the pics watching this (I know it's a bit late) and I have to say this is definitely a film to watch in the cinema.

• Like 1

The Iron Claw, very good. I liked WWF in the late 80's early 90's (grown out of it now), so this film took me back. Its very well done and the performances are great. Worth a look.

On 29/03/2024 at 13:31, HKP90 said:

Just watched Next Goal Wins. Generic but heartwarming. 

Really want to go to American Samoa now.

Yeah me too :)

• Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 00:58, Nigel said:

I've just got back from the pics watching this (I know it's a bit late) and I have to say this is definitely a film to watch in the cinema.

What if I sit really close to my massive TV?

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

What if I sit really close to my massive TV?

Got to leave space for someone with a big head and weak bladder to sit in front of you, could put the radio on as well to to try and create the "thrush" with an important telephone/conversation. 

• Haha 1

Somewhat surprised that Civil War is getting such mixed reviews. Saw it at IMAX today and thought it was great. Not perfect by any means but a thoughtful film with some really good set pieces. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Somewhat surprised that Civil War is getting such mixed reviews. Saw it at IMAX today and thought it was great. Not perfect by any means but a thoughtful film with some really good set pieces. 

88% on RT so generally positive.

Ticket is booked for tomorrow. I like most of Garlands work, he's always interesting. 

• Like 1

Â