The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Just watched Next Goal Wins. Generic but heartwarming. 

Really want to go to American Samoa now.

I’ve been ..30 mins is about all you need tbh

maybe longer if you stay and watch a game of football which I assume the film is about ? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Just watched Next Goal Wins. Generic but heartwarming. 

Really want to go to American Samoa now.

Will watch it eventually, saw it being filmed at Stansted airport, bumped in to Michael Ward, told him him was awesome in top boy he was a really nice guy 

Didn't call him fam and he didn't reply with say less 😔

Having listened to The Rest is History's Titanic series this week, I watched Titanic tonight for the first time in about 25 years.

It's a much better movie than I previously gave it credit for.

I decided to go see Love Lies Bleeding after watching the trailer and seeing that it had 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.   It's also gotten some good buzz, apparently.  I fail to see why.  The storyline definitely had potential and the overall feel is compelling.  It could have been a really good movie, but there was some eye-roll inducing stuff and by the end my wife and I were almost laughing.   Plus, there wasn't a single sympathetic character in the film.

Oh...and the lesbian sex wasn't even hot 😜

I was trying to think of great movies that were only made for TV. The two that stand out for me are Gettysburg and Gott. 

Gettysburg is 270 minutes long with some stunning performances from Martin Sheen as General Lee, Tom Berenger as Longstreet and arguably the standout performance being Jeff Daniels as Union colonel Joshua Chamberlin who almost saved the Union at the battle of Little Round Top. Anyone who hasn't seen this movie is missing out big - time.

The HBO Gotti movie is hands - down the best of all the movies about JG. Armand Assanti is superb as the Teflon Don, there's also a great performance from the ageing Anthony Quinn as Gotti's mentor Neil Dellacroce. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/03/2024 at 17:50, Designer1 said:

I suspect from the trailer it will be another pointless shitshow like the utterly risible Exorcist believer. 

Just leave the classics alone you creatively barren ****wits.

Re. The First Omen...

Hmmm, I may have to eat my words if the first batch of reviews are anything to go by. Currently sitting on 82% on RT.

Tickets booked for Sunday and I'm quietly optimistic it won't be the cloisterfuck I'd feared.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Underground (1995). Very strange film. A satirical, surrealistic, tragicomic meditation on the breakup of Yugoslavia, in the style of  a Marx Brothers slapstick romp, if it had been directed by Federico Fellini. 9/10. 

Underground_film_poster.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Re. The First Omen...

Hmmm, I may have to eat my words if the first batch of reviews are anything to go by. Currently sitting on 82% on RT.

Tickets booked for Sunday and I'm quietly optimistic it won't be the cloisterfuck I'd feared.

I think its biggest problem will be the comparisons with Immaculate with both being released in close proximity but prepared to keep an open mind. 

• Like 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

I think its biggest problem will be the comparisons with Immaculate with both being released in close proximity but prepared to keep an open mind. 

To be honest, I think FO will have the advantage(?) of being a well know IP. Immaculate was a terrific horror movie, but I would say it would have been mostly genre fans that would have seen it (which is a shame). I'd imagine FO will attract more of a broadchurch (hehe).

Either way, I'm looking forward to it now - which I definitely didn't think would be the case 🙂

• Like 1

Watched the reboot of Roadhouse last night.

Not having seen the Swayze version I can’t make a comparison but I enjoyed it.

Now if I’d known that turd Conor McGregor was in it I might not have bothered but he made a pretty decent villain.

On 05/04/2024 at 13:11, tonyh29 said:

That film is tainted for me as when I watched it in the cinema , at the end of the film  the person behind me said to her friend  " I wasn't expecting the ship to sink "

Spoiler alert!

• Haha 1

On 30/03/2024 at 00:10, Stevo985 said:

Having listened to The Rest is History's Titanic series this week, I watched Titanic tonight for the first time in about 25 years.

It's a much better movie than I previously gave it credit for.

Not sure if you have seen this, lifeboats were launched with spare seats and the passengers were released in order of their travel class....

Posted (edited)

Just back from...

spacer.png

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I was expecting the usual soulless cash-grab based on a well know ip. 

I was wrong. Its a well crafted piece of work that fits nicely into the world of the Omen. 

Takes its time in building up the different story elements and has an unsettling atmosphere which echoes the mood of the original Omen movie in particular.

Special mention for Nell Tiger Free who is terrific in the lead role, and Ralph Ineson who manages to channel Troughtons Father Brennan without it becoming a cheap imitation. 

If you like the OG trilogy I reckon you'll enjoy it.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Not sure if you have seen this, lifeboats were launched with spare seats and the passengers were released in order of their travel class....

Yes but The class thing is actually massively exaggerated. There was hardly any class discrimination when it came to escaping except the logistical point that first class passengers were closer to the deck so naturally got out faster. 

The only real discrimination was gender, because of the women and children first command. 

You were far more likely to survive if you were a woman in third class than if you were a man in first class

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes but The class thing is actually massively exaggerated. There was hardly any class discrimination when it came to escaping except the logistical point that first class passengers were closer to the deck so naturally got out faster. 

The only real discrimination was gender, because of the women and children first command. 

You were far more likely to survive if you were a woman in third class than if you were a man in first class

The guy on the YouTube video, who made it out, referenced the opening of the 3rd class passenger doors and them crowding the upper deck, he chose to jump into the sea and was rescued by a lifeboat that he had hleped load earlier, other than what he said I don't know what happened tbh. One woman said she didn't even realise it had sank until she got to New York, she thought they had just changed ships for logistical reasons, unbelievable tbh.

1 minute ago, tinker said:

One woman said she didn't even realise it had sank until she got to New York, she thought they had just changed ships for logistical reasons, unbelievable tbh.

Must have been the woman behind me in the cinema 

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, tinker said:

The guy on the YouTube video, who made it out, referenced the opening of the 3rd class passenger doors and them crowding the upper deck, he chose to jump into the sea and was rescued by a lifeboat that he had hleped load earlier, other than what he said I don't know what happened tbh. One woman said she didn't even realise it had sank until she got to New York, she thought they had just changed ships for logistical reasons, unbelievable tbh.

She must have been asleep or passed out to be honest. They were all still in the lifeboats when the ship sank. And they could all see it. It would be kind of hard to miss

• Like 1

Â