The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Not a recent film (2014) but really enjoyed This Is Where I Leave You on Netflix.

A very good family comedy-drama about four siblings coming to terms with the death of their father whilst juggling their own problems.

great cast including Jason Bateman, Adam Driver, Rose Byrne, Tina Fey and Jane Fonda. 

On 05/12/2020 at 09:32, AVFCDAN said:

Watched Sucker Punch earlier and quite enjoyed it to be honest. I haven’t seen it since it first came out and didn’t like it then but it’s better than I remembered and Zack Snyder does have a great eye for visual style.

I hated that movie at the cinema. If I could have walked out, I would have for the first time in my life.

3 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Bill and Ted face the music.

Lasted 30 mins before tapping out and deleting the offending article off my hard drive.

It was a tad disappointing really but did have some good moments, albeit few and far between. 

Shame really as the feel good nostalgia was probably the best thing about it. 

• Like 1

as well as the stuff in the marvel / star wars thread disney announced a ton of stuff yesterday - 

the next pixar film soul will be out on disney+ on xmas day, then its raya and the last dragon, another love action dalmations film called cruella, jungle cruise with the rock, another pixar film called luca, aladdin 2, live action hunchback of notre dame, knights, lion king 2, mary poppins 2, live action peter pan, live action pinocchio, prince charming film, reboot of pirates of the caribbean, new robin hood, new snow white film (rose red) live action little mermaid, live action sword in the stone, merlin saga, tron 3

Wind River 

Its about a murdered girl on an Indian reservation in a very snowy wyoming where a young fbi agent needs help from a local wildlife ranger to track the killer, pretty good and worth a watch, I think there's a message in there somewhere about girls going missing from Indian reservations and I'm not sure that hits home particularly well but thata not a detriment to the film 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wind River 

Its about a murdered girl on an Indian reservation in a very snowy wyoming where a young fbi agent needs help from a local wildlife ranger to track the killer, pretty good and worth a watch, I think there's a message in there somewhere about girls going missing from Indian reservations and I'm not sure that hits home particularly well but thata not a detriment to the film 

Written and directed by the same guy (Tyler Sheriden) who also wrote Sicario and Hell Or High Water as part of a trilogy of American tales. 

pretty strong trio of films! 

• Like 2

On 06/12/2020 at 11:03, Mark Albrighton said:

I know this battle. I remember once with my ex, we were discussing about something to watch and “Far from the madding crowd” was on (the remake, not the Julie Christie one....I wouldn’t even try to suggest that).

“So you fancy watching it?”

“Who’s in it”

“It’s Carey Mulligan as the main character..”

“I love Carey Mulligan. What’s it about?”

“Well it’s about this woman living out in the country, I think it’s set in the late 19th century. Anyway there are these three fellas who love her....”

“Oh it’s set in the past? I don’t like that sort of stuff, period stuff.”

“So you wouldn’t watch ‘Titanic’ then? Or ‘Gladiator’? I mean, ‘Grease’ is a period piece, I guess you wouldn’t care for that. ‘Moulin Rouge’, there’s another we’ll be giving a miss from now on....”

Yep, that’s me.

I don’t like films or TV series set in that ‘period’ era - basically like 1800-1960.

Titanic gets a pass because a big ship sinks plus it’s James Cameron.

Moulin Rouge gets a pass because it’s a fantasy musical plus Baz Lurman.

Grease - nah probably not

Gladiator - wrong period.  2000 years ago is different to not liking ‘period stuff’ - ie: 1800-1960.

Basically you’ve picked a couple of exceptions to the general rule. 

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yep, that’s me.

I don’t like films or TV series set in that ‘period’ era - basically like 1800-1960.

Titanic gets a pass because a big ship sinks plus it’s James Cameron.

Moulin Rouge gets a pass because it’s a fantasy musical plus Baz Lurman.

Grease - nah probably not

Gladiator - wrong period.  2000 years ago is different to not liking ‘period stuff’ - ie: 1800-1960.

Basically you’ve picked a couple of exceptions to the general rule. 

So you don’t like any Second World War era films? 

Doesn’t even have to be “a war film” - Casablanca, The Third Man...none of those do anything for you?

On 11/12/2020 at 10:13, villa4europe said:

as well as the stuff in the marvel / star wars thread disney announced a ton of stuff yesterday - 

the next pixar film soul will be out on disney+ on xmas day, then its raya and the last dragon, another love action dalmations film called cruella, jungle cruise with the rock, another pixar film called luca, aladdin 2, live action hunchback of notre dame, knights, lion king 2, mary poppins 2, live action peter pan, live action pinocchio, prince charming film, reboot of pirates of the caribbean, new robin hood, new snow white film (rose red) live action little mermaid, live action sword in the stone, merlin saga, tron 3

Not many original ideas in there is there? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Written and directed by the same guy (Tyler Sheriden) who also wrote Sicario and Hell Or High Water as part of a trilogy of American tales. 

pretty strong trio of films! 

Looks like I need to watch Hell Or High Water then. I love the other 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

So you don’t like any Second World War era films? 

Doesn’t even have to be “a war film” - Casablanca, The Third Man...none of those do anything for you?

No, I don’t like WW2 (or any old war) films. 

Haven’t seen Casablanca or any idea what it’s about, never heard of The Third Man.

I have seen 2-3 black & white films and they were ok as a curiousity but I wouldn’t watch them for fun/entertainment.

Theres always the odd exception though - loved Life is Beautiful which is a WW2 film. 

• Sad 1

Â