The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

His House on Netflix will be getting a viewing over the weekend as it’s Halloween  - anyone seen it yet?

That's tonight's viewing for me. Really, really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 14:53, Chindie said:

Meet Joe Black is a guilty pleasure. It's biggest problem is it's laughably long and probably far too sincere and earnest for it's own good, but I've always really, really liked it. Hopkins is great in it.

We've discussed this before I think, but I really like it as well. Even if it is a bit too ponderous. Its just a 'nice' film. Plus Claire Forlani is looking fine! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sne said:

Anyone watched this one? It's only a short film but apparently it's supposed to get the Terry Pratchett Discworld vibe that most other adaptations fail at.

It's on the list, obviously. I've purposely kinda avoided everything about it as I really don't want to colour my thoughts of it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sne said:

Anyone watched this one? It's only a short film but apparently it's supposed to get the Terry Pratchett Discworld vibe that most other adaptations fail at.

I think I'd forgotten this was being made. Thanks for the reminder. 

Amy ideas how to watch it if you weren't a preproduction supporter? Is it just online via the streaming portal? 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

As I’ve yet to be asked by the film industry to give my tribute to him, my Top five non Bond Sean Connery roles -

The Man Who Would be King

The Untouchables

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade

The Hunt for Red October

The Rock

Honourable mentions (due to the more supporting nature) 

Murder on the Orient Express

Time Bandits

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

As I’ve yet to be asked by the film industry to give my tribute to him, my Top five non Bond Sean Connery roles -

The Untouchables

The Hunt for Red October

The Rock

Time Bandits

The Man who would be King is a brilliant film, my others would be as above and Highlander, woman of straw and the offence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The Untouchables

The Hunt for Red October

The Rock

Time Bandits

5! There can be only one! 

Nobody has ever better portrayed an Egyptian. 

Before I get slaughtered I'm joking, love that film and he's great in that role but the casting for those roles was bizarre. A Scot playing an Egyptian who lives in Spain, a Yank playing a Russian and a French man who doesn't speak English as a Scots. 

Genuinely sad that he's died as so many great roles, might have to cancel the Halloween movie marathon and go with a Connery one instead. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

5! There can be only one! 

Nobody has ever better portrayed an Egyptian. 

Before I get slaughtered I'm joking, love that film and he's great in that role but the casting for those roles was bizarre. A Scot playing an Egyptian who lives in Spain, a Yank playing a Russian and a French man who doesn't speak English as a Scots. 

Genuinely sad that he's died as so many great roles, might have to cancel the Halloween movie marathon and go with a Connery one instead. 

Tbh I’ve not seen it all the way through, truth of the matter is outiside of the films I listed, the bond films and “Marnie” years ago, I’ve not seen much else of his.

One of my browsing past time quirks (one of which I’m willing to divulge) is looking up what an actor’s final screen role was, to see if it’s a good “full stop” to someone’s career, in particular their last screen appearance. Something that seems fitting. Doesn’t have to be the high point of a career, just a decent last bit of work.

Clark Gable/Marilyn Monroe for The Misfits, Peter Finch in Network, Oliver Reed in Gladiator....they’re probably considered to be among the good ones.

I can’t think of many great careers that essentially ended in a more dismal way than Connery’s did with “The league of extraordinary gentlemen” (I’m not including his voiceover work).

Started a binge of horror/horror-adjacent flicks for the weekend, two films down so far; Exorcist III (which I absolutely love, studio meddling be damned) and Suspiria which I'd never gotten round to seeing before.  Quite liked Suspiria, they absolutely hammer that Goblin soundtrack down your ears though, don't they?  Got Last House On The Left and the 90's TV adaptation of Woman In Black up next (which my wife's never seen before, looking forward to her shitting her pants at *the* scene).

We are having a tiny breather with Hocus Pocus in between though.

comb.io - Krusty Gets Kancelled

Been on a MUBI kick the last few days:

• Stories We Tell - a documentary made by (former?) Canadian actress Sarah Polley (she was the lead in the Dawn of the Dead remake), which is about the life of her late mother, and the circumstances of her own birth (her parentage is in some dispute at the beginning of the film), told through interviews with family members and reenactments shot on super 8 to look like home movies. Interesting film, quite a wild real-life story, and made quite bittersweet by realising at the end of the film that one more of the key players has passed since it was made.
  • Mustang - a Turkish coming-of-age film about five sisters growing up in a religiously conservative household, from which they will be married into arranged marriages, and their efforts to cope with and rebel against their situation. I remember putting this one on a top-10 of a year on here when it came out, and it's a brilliant film, sad and funny and provocative and all sorts. Great stuff. Sadly the director Deniz Gamse Erguven followed the film with a poorly-reviewed film about the LA riots and has now ended up directing episodes of prestige TV dramas, which feels like a real waste to me.
  • Also watched two J-horror movies for Halloween, directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. The later one, 'Creepy', had an interesting premise and an excellent performance by Teruyuki Kagawa as the titular 'creep next door', but the ending was perhaps a bit overblown. Still a good film, and worth a watch. I preferred 'Cure' from twenty years earlier, a highly atmospheric horror-cum-policier about a guy who hypnotises people and gets them to murder others when in a semi-hypnotic state.

Happy to see that MUBI are keeping the rights to some of these films and having them accessible in a library beyond the 30-day period as well, which definitely makes it better value.

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

His House was ok with an interesting set of consequences borne out of belief, grief and circumstances. 

Some creepy parts but overall not pant wettingly scary 

Got to be honest I was a little bit underwhelmed

• Like 1

Â