The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I was searching Netflix for something to watch and in their UK Top 10 there was a film called Taking Lives that has Angelina Jolie, Ethan Hawke and Kiefer Sutherland in it.  I've seen stuff I've liked with all 3 of them in it so thought it was worth a bash.  Honestly it is possibly the shittest, most non-sensical load of nonsense I've seen in years, I assume it's only in the Netflix Top 10 because there's an Angelina Jolie sex scene in it, which was a bit shit anyway.  I was wondering at which stage of Sutherland's post-24 career this was filmed and how much he got paid for this utter bollocks.  Two of the most obvious 'twists' possible, so obvious that I thought 'they really aren't going to go there, are they?' and yes they did.  Worst of all, right at the end...

Spoiler

They played a U2 song over the end credits.  **** me.

• Haha 2

Watched Sucker Punch earlier and quite enjoyed it to be honest. I haven’t seen it since it first came out and didn’t like it then but it’s better than I remembered and Zack Snyder does have a great eye for visual style.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hmmm I’ll agree with Bateman’s conclusion and go Allen. 

Looking at them now, you’d think Pierce & Pierce would have wanted some consistency in how their name is presented. 

I've thought hard about it, and I like Bryce's best. Most uniform I suppose.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was searching Netflix for something to watch and in their UK Top 10 there was a film called Taking Lives that has Angelina Jolie, Ethan Hawke and Kiefer Sutherland in it.  I've seen stuff I've liked with all 3 of them in it so thought it was worth a bash.  Honestly it is possibly the shittest, most non-sensical load of nonsense I've seen in years, I assume it's only in the Netflix Top 10 because there's an Angelina Jolie sex scene in it, which was a bit shit anyway.  I was wondering at which stage of Sutherland's post-24 career this was filmed and how much he got paid for this utter bollocks.  Two of the most obvious 'twists' possible, so obvious that I thought 'they really aren't going to go there, are they?' and yes they did.  Worst of all, right at the end...

Reveal hidden contents

They played a U2 song over the end credits.  **** me.

Terrible film but one that I had the DVD for years. 

Can't think why. 

Honest. 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2020 at 16:37, Follyfoot said:

Watched Event Horizon for the first time again in years. Great film 

Yes indeed a great film. I would like to watch this again in higher definition to see if it looks as good?

You know I was reading about an early edit of the film with a longer running time and far darker which will apparently never see the light of day. Incredible to think as it is already so horrific in many ways.

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yes indeed a great film. I would like to watch this again in higher definition to see if it looks as good?

You know I was reading about an early edit of the film with a longer running time and far darker which will apparently never see the light of day. Incredible to think as it is already so horrific in many ways.

Would love to see a different cut. In terms of horror it’s probably one of the scariest films I have seen, in psychological terms at least. From his other work it seems Paul Anderson wasn’t much cop as a director but one way or another he really nailed this film.

I watched A Star Is Born last night, It was much better than I thought it was going to be

Spoiler

The ending left me feeling quite sad for the rest of the night :lol: 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

One for the films thread, really, but ISTR several of our younger (compared to me) VTers saying they had never watched/wouldn't watch a black and white film. I still find that staggering. But then there's all the contemporary culture that completely passes me by, so I guess it cuts both ways. 

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Daughter, 32 would never watch a b/w film and has walked out of the room when I have put one on. She hates the start of Wizard of Oz. 

I know this battle. I remember once with my ex, we were discussing about something to watch and “Far from the madding crowd” was on (the remake, not the Julie Christie one....I wouldn’t even try to suggest that).

“So you fancy watching it?”

“Who’s in it”

“It’s Carey Mulligan as the main character..”

“I love Carey Mulligan. What’s it about?”

“Well it’s about this woman living out in the country, I think it’s set in the late 19th century. Anyway there are these three fellas who love her....”

“Oh it’s set in the past? I don’t like that sort of stuff, period stuff.”

“So you wouldn’t watch ‘Titanic’ then? Or ‘Gladiator’? I mean, ‘Grease’ is a period piece, I guess you wouldn’t care for that. ‘Moulin Rouge’, there’s another we’ll be giving a miss from now on....”

“This is exactly why we broke up, Mark.”

• Haha 2

laugh_trio.jpg

Singin' in the Rain

5410topRoch.jpg

The Young Girls of Rochefort

UmbrellasOfCherbourg.jpg

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I liked them all, especially The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which has become an immediate favorite, something I wouldn't have expected of a film where all the dialogue is sung.

Edited by useless
I didn't realize musicals were being talked about in another thread when I made this post.
  • Like 1

Watched Passengers last night , not sure how I missed it all this time but somehow i did.

it’s nothing ground breaking and felt a bit like Wall-e meets Castaway at times  and yet somehow as a film i found it quite entertaining  ...Jennifer Lawrence’s swimsuit was worth the film alone !!

• Like 1

Â