The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

36 minutes ago, choffer said:

Arkansas on Netflix was half decent for a first time film maker. The best bit for me was the soundtrack which had Flaming Lips covering a bunch of old country songs really beautifully. If only those songs were actually available anywhere. 

Tried to watch that last night but just couldn’t get into it.

best bit was seeing Wayne Coyne doing Country & Western

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Arkansas and posted the below about it back in April.

Arkansas is very good indeed, first time feature film director Clark Duke who you might remember from Sex Drive or one of the friends in the Kick Ass film.

Liam Hemsworth is very good here and just as his more famous brother releases a massive new Netflix film I suspect this is he better film and better performance although I haven’t seen Extraction yet.

8/10

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Tried to watch that last night but just couldn’t get into it.

best bit was seeing Wayne Coyne doing Country & Western

They did a bunch of songs in addition to that scene. I kept trying to Shazam the different songs and every one came up with nothing. 
I'm not surprised you struggled with it. We had a brief conference part way through and decided to stick with it. One of those where you were kinda glad you did but for me, it was mostly for the soundtrack. 

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I really enjoyed Arkansas and posted the below about it back in April.

Arkansas is very good indeed, first time feature film director Clark Duke who you might remember from Sex Drive or one of the friends in the Kick Ass film.

Liam Hemsworth is very good here and just as his more famous brother releases a massive new Netflix film I suspect this is he better film and better performance although I haven’t seen Extraction yet.

8/10

Clearly it landed better with you than it did with me or tba. There were a few gaping continuity errors which is always guaranteed to kill a movie for me. Like I say, I enjoyed it but I’d struggle to score it as highly as you did. 

• Like 1

Southland Tales

I like watching films that aren't very well received but then gain a cult following, I didn't mind this, thought it had an interesting aesthetic and at times was quite funny, although I lost track of what was happening after about half an hour, kind of a mess but I think that was the point.

Belle Noiseuse

I thought this was okay, considering that it's four hours where not much happens other than a painter painting a model it's more engaging that you might imagine, although I don't think I'd be in a rush to watch it again.

The Congress

Liked this better than I was expecting, seen it compared to Cloud Atlas, can see where that comparison comes from, was almost like a cross between that, an episode of Black Mirror and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Terrorizers

A metaphysical mystery about the lives of three couples in Taipei that continually intersect over a span of several weeks. good film with a good ending, from the same director as Yi Yi and A Brighter Summer Day.

8 1⁄2

At first I wasn't liking it as much as I thought I would, but liked it better as it went on. Don't consider it one of my favorites but would watch it again.

• Like 3

watched in to the spiderverse again as its been added to netflix

1st time was an acquired version, this time it was 4k, i loved the art style the 1st time round but now i have an even bigger love of it, it just looks and feels incredible, its a brilliant film, maybe the best comic book film ever made, its the best from the marvel characters, it has so many things to overcome and bounds over them full of confidence and with a big smile on its face

they'll definitely **** up the 2nd one

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Review please 

Imagine a Chines CGI version of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom but without the dinosaurs and it's not that far off. It's not the worst movie ever made but I certainly would not recommend anyone to watch it.

As with most Chinese produced big budget? movies it has the token Hollywood "star" Jason Isaacs this time and a bunch of I'm sure domestic stars. Nothing about it is really, really bad but nothing is good either.

5/10 maybe but if you stick around for the end credits you get a treat in getting see a Chines boy band perform the extremely forgettable and soppy movie score against a desert back drop wearing all black so that might be worth 90 minutes of fiery mediocrity? :D 

• Thanks 1

Watched Tenet yesterday and.... meh, it's a bit up its own arse isn't it?

It was somewhat enjoyable but I found myself being largely confused throughout. I usually like Nolan's films but this is probably one of his worst. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2020 at 15:14, theunderstudy said:

Thanks to playing several hundred hours of Fallout New Vegas I can't hear the words Jingle Jangle without thinking of the song Jingle Jangle Jingle that is featured in it and it being stuck in my head for 2 days 

Same. I got spurs....

I really enjoyed Tenet first time around, despite not following it much in the second half of the film. I just went with it, I'd definitely like to see it again though, as in the final half hour I guess, the camera was hinting I should have been picking up on certain things, that had completely passed me by so their significance meant nothing to me at the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

I really enjoyed Tenet first time around, despite not following it much in the second half of the film. I just went with it, I'd definitely like to see it again though, as in the final half hour I guess, the camera was hinting I should have been picking up on certain things, that had completely passed me by so their significance meant nothing to me at the time. 

Yeah, I had to watch a Youtube video afterwards to explain most of it. There's a LOT of stuff I missed. 

• Like 1

Popeye

Liked it better than I was expecting, funny, good songs, and Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall were both very good.

Spring Breakers

Was okay I think, I especially liked the Britney Spears scene.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Reminded me of Speed Racer, I thought it was very good

Merry-Go-Round

This hasn't many good reviews and Jacques Rivette himself called it a failure, but I really liked it, like a cross between Céline and Julie Go Boating and Le Pont du Nord.

• Like 1

On 30/11/2020 at 10:14, PieFacE said:

Yeah, I had to watch a Youtube video afterwards to explain most of it. There's a LOT of stuff I missed. 

I too had to watch YouTube videos after lol. I think I understand it better now 

Â