The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I managed to watch a film that I had longed wanted to see. It was the Ralph Fiennes, film, Onegin. I wasn't disappointed. It's a love story beautifully told. Liv Tyler, plays the female lead role and not only looks stunning, but gives a performance that is equally as stunning. Anyone who believes she can't act, I suggest you give this film a watch. The last scene with her and Fiennes is one of the most moving moments I've seen on a screen. When it comes to tragic love stories, the Russians sure know how to tell them and who better than Pushkin. 

Kikis delivery service - its a great film, beautifully animated, full of the usual ghibli charm and characters, personally I don't think the story is strong enough for it to be a top ghibli film 

Battle: Los Angeles - first time I've watched it since the cinema, it got panned and I can understand why, things blow up there's a lot of shooting, soldiers who's name and 30 seconds worth of "character" I can't remember, marines shout exactly what you would expect marines to shout (it's horrible) it's badly filmed and edited so during the action it goes all transformers and you can't tell what's going on... But I still like it! It's like a bad black hawk down with aliens and for me as a throw away 2 hours it works fine, I like the idea of it and I'm surprised more films haven't tried to do the same, grunts on the ground in a big city during an alien invasion 

On 31/10/2020 at 13:20, Mark Albrighton said:

As I’ve yet to be asked by the film industry to give my tribute to him, my Top five non Bond Sean Connery roles -

The Man Who Would be King

The Untouchables

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade

The Hunt for Red October

The Rock

Honourable mentions (due to the more supporting nature) 

Murder on the Orient Express

Time Bandits

Just Cause has to be in here. Great film.

On 31/10/2020 at 22:51, GarethRDR said:

Started a binge of horror/horror-adjacent flicks for the weekend, two films down so far; Exorcist III (which I absolutely love, studio meddling be damned) and Suspiria which I'd never gotten round to seeing before.  Quite liked Suspiria, they absolutely hammer that Goblin soundtrack down your ears though, don't they?  Got Last House On The Left and the 90's TV adaptation of Woman In Black up next (which my wife's never seen before, looking forward to her shitting her pants at *the* scene).

We are having a tiny breather with Hocus Pocus in between though.

comb.io - Krusty Gets Kancelled

LHOTL was pretty decent for the time, not bothered with the remake though. 

That Woman in Black version I got it last month as never seen it before and OH kept on going about a good film version. Must say it is good and most definitely the best version (other than the play, which is brilliant), although I don’t think “that scene” has aged particularly well... still the film definitely kept the overall creepiness of the play/book and well worth a watch. 

• Like 1

Gotta say, I came out of Last House On The Left with a sense of just utter bewilderment at how tonally horrible it was.  I don't know what they thought they were going for juxtaposing the rape/murder scenes with some Keystone Cops-level shit.

My biggest takeaway from Woman In Black (having been the first time I'd seen it since I was 14) was a wild Andy Nyman appears!  Big Ghost Stories fan, so was cool to see.  Think you're right about aforementioned scene, it definitely shat me up the first time I watched it and I was bracing myself, suffice to say 23 years later it didn't have quite the same impact!  We did get to the play a few years ago and it didn't disappoint.

• Like 1

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Gotta say, I came out of Last House On The Left with a sense of just utter bewilderment at how tonally horrible it was.  I don't know what they thought they were going for juxtaposing the rape/murder scenes with some Keystone Cops-level shit.

My biggest takeaway from Woman In Black (having been the first time I'd seen it since I was 14) was a wild Andy Nyman appears!  Big Ghost Stories fan, so was cool to see.  Think you're right about aforementioned scene, it definitely shat me up the first time I watched it and I was bracing myself, suffice to say 23 years later it didn't have quite the same impact!  We did get to the play a few years ago and it didn't disappoint.

First trip with my partner was to London and she insisted we watch the play of Woman in Black, having not been a fan of theatre generally. Suffice to say I was not disappointed. Even having watched it multiple times since, still absolutely brilliant.

Watched two films of very different quality over the weekend

Borat (the sequel) - **** me. Absolutely awful. Genuinely one of the worst films I've seen in the past few years. And I've watched Daddy's Home and Eurovision. Total shit

Knives Out - very very enjoyable. Not sure it quite lives up to the plaudits but it's very good. Loses a mark for Daniel Craig's accent. Not that it's terrible, just doesn't sound right coming out of him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched two films of very different quality over the weekend

Borat (the sequel) - **** me. Absolutely awful. Genuinely one of the worst films I've seen in the past few years. And I've watched Daddy's Home and Eurovision. Total shit

Knives Out - very very enjoyable. Not sure it quite lives up to the plaudits but it's very good. Loses a mark for Daniel Craig's accent. Not that it's terrible, just doesn't sound right coming out of him.

I liked Daddy’s home :lol: but fully agree with you on Borat 2. One of the very few films I’ve turned off part way through. I managed about 25 minutes. It was appalling.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2020 at 17:42, Genie said:

fully agree with you on Borat 2. One of the very few films I’ve turned off part way through. I managed about 25 minutes. It was appalling.

It got better further in. Not as funny as the first film of course.

Also, you'll watch it thinking that no way is this real, it 100% has to be scripted. 

Then you read about the film afterwards, and it turns out virtually all the scenes were NOT scripted and somehow they managed to film that. 

They explained the cameraman in a lot of places by simply saying they were filming a documentary about various issues.  

Got a disney+ trial

Onward - it was OK, problem with it is the incredibly high bar set by pixar and it doesn't clear it, it's lost in the dreamworks etc crowd as just a good worth a watch but not a classic film, the pulling of the heart strings overpowered the wit and charm elements

Lilo and stitch - haven't seen it in years, is it an underrated Disney film still? They clocked on to the merch potential, I'm tempted to say its the best of the latter traditional style films (post lion King 95 onwards) but then I've got hunchback and hercules coming up, Mulan I won't bother with cos I watched the new one recently and Ive never seen pocahontas 

Moana - slightly better than onward (I know this is Disney not pixar) but it's the same, can't rise above the high set bar despite being good, "you're welcome" is a great song though, better than the frozen songs... 

I tried to watch another film last night, my fourth or fifth this year, and it’s only November.

It was Red Sparrow, with a woman famous from Marvel comic films. Jennifer someone I can’t be bothered to google.

Basically, I think it was just a vehicle to see her titties once every 30 minutes, in various similar weird forced sexual encounters as some sort of Russian ballerina / spy scenario.

I didn’t get to the end of the film, and not in a good way.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I tried to watch another film last night, my fourth or fifth this year, and it’s only November.

It was Red Sparrow, with a woman famous from Marvel comic films. Jennifer someone I can’t be bothered to google.

Basically, I think it was just a vehicle to see her titties once every 30 minutes, in various similar weird forced sexual encounters as some sort of Russian ballerina / spy scenario.

I didn’t get to the end of the film, and not in a good way.

Not a happy ending then Chris? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched Brightburn and quite enjoyed it but it should've been a lot lot better

Firstly the concept is great, a 'what if' Superman became bad as a teenager storyline. However, it missed more than hit with the actual film.

The special effects were very poor, even for a budget film, which made some.of the 'scary/graphic' parts chuckle worthy.

Shame really as this had potential to be decent. 

Â