The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 17/12/2020 at 12:06, Stevo985 said:

I watched this on Tuesday.

Good in parts. I really liked the concept, something I'd never seen before.

But for most of it I honestly had no idea what was going on. Literally felt like a movie of random set pieces thrown together. not helped by the fact that Nolan seems to be as obsessed with masks as Tarantino is with feet so I couldn't understand half of what anyone was saying.

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, and I know movies shouldn't spoon feed you the plot, but I think having a vague idea of what was going on would have made it far more enjoyable. I honestly couldn't even tell you what they were all trying to achieve in the movie. 

We watched it with subtitles last night and it made a lot more sense

leffest_edvard_munch.jpeg

Edvard Munch − I thought this was a excellent, and very uniquely done film.

88693947c4613b881ffa2a8d9263a0fd.gif

Donkey Skin− I Liked it, captured the feel of a fairy tale vey well.

Sherlock-Jr_001_%7B3f3956e4-ffd7-e411-b7

Sherlock Jr. − Really good, slightly surreal silent movie.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Watched Fatman last night and it was ok, however it felt like a mini movie extended with a lot of filler to make it passed 90mins! 

the idea was good - a spoilt kid sends a hitman (Walton Goggins - typically decent) to kill Santa (a grizzled Mel Gibson) after receiving a lump of coal for Christmas - but that couldn’t be stretched out enough without introducing several subplots, which neither added to the storyline or were explained well enough.

still had me chuckling in several places but wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. 

doing the christmas film during the december, many re-watches but a couple of first time films

8 Women - from Francois Ozon is a wonderfully surreal french whodunnit / inspector calls type riff on the genre with sporadic 4th wall breaking ish musical pieces. Thoroughly entertaining and something different. 

Mary Poppins Returns - nah. didn't work for me, I mean I could help but view it as so nakedly beat for beat trying to repeat the original film, it felt cynical. The kids were thoroughly punchable, emily mortimer wasted as adult jane, emily blunt's poppins was nothing more than ok, and lin manuel miranda's jack the lamplighter was pretty weak. It wasn't trrible, the musical bits were ok I guess, but there was no warmth. Perhaps it's the absence of any nostalgia connecting me to it, but I found it all a bit 50 years too late. 

13 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

We watched it with subtitles last night and it made a lot more sense

I tried to put them on but the Sky Store version didn't appear to have any. At least it didn't work when I tried

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Watch it. A brilliant film. Just wonderful.

It’s not the first time they’ve been compared, and your avatar leads me to think you’d disagree with me, but I’d put “The Third Man” ahead of it, just*.

I do find the comparisons between them interesting, they’re kinda complimentary to each other, similar character dynamics but contrasting resolutions. One being more optimistic and “We can do this! We can win!” and the other being more cynical and uncertain.

Both utterly brilliant, and two classics that really do live up to their reputation. If you’re reading this and you haven’t seen them, go and watch them.

*I do concede that Casablanca does have an advantage for indirectly giving us the Pamela Anderson classic “Barb Wire”.

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s not the first time they’ve been compared, and your avatar leads me to think you’d disagree with me, but I’d put “The Third Man” ahead of it, just*.

Totally agree. Both classics, but I can watch The Third Man over and over. Casablanca, not so much.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 23:07, Designer1 said:

You won't be disappointed. 

Agreed. Hell Or High Water is fantastic. Really good film no-one talks about.

Two other Ben Foster films worth watching are Alpha Dog and 3.10 to Yuma

On 20/12/2020 at 09:52, theboyangel said:

Watched Fatman last night and it was ok, however it felt like a mini movie extended with a lot of filler to make it passed 90mins! 

the idea was good - a spoilt kid sends a hitman (Walton Goggins - typically decent) to kill Santa (a grizzled Mel Gibson) after receiving a lump of coal for Christmas - but that couldn’t be stretched out enough without introducing several subplots, which neither added to the storyline or were explained well enough.

still had me chuckling in several places but wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. 

This is basically The Night The Reindeer Died from Scrooged 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, theunderstudy said:

Agreed. Hell Or High Water is fantastic. Really good film no-one talks about.

Two other Ben Foster films worth watching are Alpha Dog and 3.10 to Yuma

He's been one of my favourites for a good while now. Superbly nuanced actor and great in everything I've seen him in. His performance in Leave No Trace is brilliant.

Come a long way since Six Feet Under.

On 21/12/2020 at 10:57, Designer1 said:

He's been one of my favourites for a good while now. Superbly nuanced actor and great in everything I've seen him in. His performance in Leave No Trace is brilliant.

Come a long way since Six Feet Under.

He's fantastic. One of those actors that is just fantastic, consistent and never gets his due for his talent. I'm yet to see Leave No Trace but I'm sure he'll be excellent in that too. (He's also turning in the only half-decent performances in The Punisher in a bit-part role and was watchable in The Last Stand ****astrophe 

Edited by blandy
swearing

15 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I do find the comparisons between them interesting, they’re kinda complimentary to each other, similar character dynamics but contrasting resolutions. One being more optimistic and “We can do this! We can win!” and the other being more cynical and uncertain.

Both utterly brilliant, and two classics that really do live up to their reputation. If you’re reading this and you haven’t seen them, go and watch them.

*I do concede that Casablanca does have an advantage for indirectly giving us the Pamela Anderson classic “Barb Wire”.

Good film Bard Wire, that and Cobra, crimes a disease, meet the cure

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

As expected Tenet wasn't really for me, by the time they where wrapping up the story I was no longer invested in it and didn't really pay attention. I guess had I watched in the cinema I might have.

At least with Inception it was a good spectacle even if they didn't follow the rules they themselves set up just like this one and every other movie involving time travel, different timelines and such crap.

6/10 meh.

Just now, sne said:

As expected Tenet wasn't really for me, by the time they where wrapping up the story I was no longer invested in it and didn't really pay attention. I guess had I watched in the cinema I might have.

At least with Inception it was a good spectacle even if they didn't follow the rules they themselves set up just like this one and every other movie involving time travel, different timelines and such crap.

6/10 meh.

I’ve yet to watch Tenet, despite liking Nolan and his previous offerings. 

I’ve heard too much negativity toward this, particularly the muffled/incoherent  dialogue so happy to give it a miss for a while.

Just now, theboyangel said:

I’ve yet to watch Tenet, despite liking Nolan and his previous offerings. 

I’ve heard too much negativity toward this, particularly the muffled/incoherent  dialogue so happy to give it a miss for a while.

It's more that the music score is so ridiculously loud at times, almost comical.

• Like 1

Â