The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Inheritance (Netflix) - Was decent enough, something a little different.  Has Emily (from Emily in Paris), Nate (from Gossip Girl) and the Simon Pegg in it.  7/10

Mulan - was pretty boring.  5/10

Greyhound (Apple TV) - Tom Hanks on a ship in the war.  Was ok, passed the time, nothing special.  6/10

Watched The Nice Guys the other day and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang a few weeks back. Nice little Shane Black double header. He knows how to get odd pairings working. Crowe and Gosling are excellent and the young lass Angourie Rice is similarly brilliant. 

I'd highly recommend either of them to anyone 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

How have I missed this? A martial arts/sci-fi action movie featuring Nicolas Cage :D Surely this must be epic.

It looks stunning. It’s a kind of samurai predator by the look at it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It looks stunning. It’s a kind of samurai predator by the look at it

Having watched it now and it really is a steaming pile of a movie :D . Utterly confusing first half of the movie but then as you suspected it turns into a The Predator clone but with martial arts rather than machine guns.

But, it also has Nic Cage being Nic Cage in it. This time channeling Dennis Hopper from Apocalypse Now so it's absolutely a must watch.

Should add that movies/series where martial arts guys fights against guys with guns is probably the genre I dislike the most. Just ludicrously silly.

3/10 and that's being generous. But it has Cage in it so that's instantly a 8/10 for the few scenes he's in

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Having watched it now and it really is a steaming pile of a movie :D . Utterly confusing first half of the movie but then as you suspected it turns into a The Predator clone but with martial arts rather than machine guns.

But, it also has Nic Cage being Nic Cage in it. This time channeling Dennis Hopper from Apocalypse Now so it's absolutely a must watch.

Should add that movies/series where martial arts guys fights against guys with guns is probably the genre I dislike the most. Just ludicrously silly.

3/10 and that's being generous. But it has Cage in it so that's instantly a 8/10 for the few scenes he's in

I find nothing in your review that puts me off in she slightest , in fact it makes me want to knock off early and watch it. Can honestly say I have not been this excited about a film since Against the Dark about 10 years ago

• Haha 2

Detroit - damn, that was non stop tension through out and predictable grim, but compelling. Will Poulter does evil excellently. 

Trial of the Chicago 7 - really enjoyed that, excellent drama well told, full of some recognisable Sorkinsms, but I like that so that was fine. 

Paths of Glory  - caught this on the iplayer last week, had seen it once before but wanted to re-watch, but, hmm. I know it's supposedly a classic, but it's dated badly. The best bit about it is the visual and sound effects surrounding the trenches. The rest is just full of the hammiest, silliest acting I've ever seen. Acting very much of it's time which you get with some of those, 30s, 40s, 50's era films. The script was farcically implausible, and the characters so cartoonish. Kirk Douglas is ok, but honestly, was very disappointing watch. 

36 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Watched Jingle Jangle the new Netflix Xmas film over the weekend. It tries too hard to be something it's not and completely misses the mark for me. 

Thanks to playing several hundred hours of Fallout New Vegas I can't hear the words Jingle Jangle without thinking of the song Jingle Jangle Jingle that is featured in it and it being stuck in my head for 2 days 

• Like 1

Hercules - not as good as I remember it being, it's got some decent supporting characters in it like Danny de Vito as Phil and some good casting like Woods and hades but the songs are shite and the soul singers on the vases seem to be really misplaced and don't work 

The rescuers down under - I would have been 7 when I saw this at the cinema, it's still a really underrated Disney film, showing its age, the flight scenes are still great though and the overall story is good

Crimson wing - watched it for the soundtrack more than anything else which is by the cinematic orchestra and is excellent, transformation in particular is a stunning piece of music, it's OK, bit long for one subject matter and I've been spoiled by the BBC, it doesn't hit the majestic levels of what Attenborough is doing both visually and obviously narration wise, interestingly though there's definitely some shared footage in there, the scenes with the chicks with the salt crystallisation around there legs I've seen before on our planet or planet earth or life 

On 16/11/2020 at 11:37, Bizzzle said:

Watched Greenland at the weekend and it was okayish I suppose. Also watched Nocturnal Animals which I thought was good

Greenland, this is what you get if you mash Deep Impact and 2012 together.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Greenland, this is what you get if you mash Deep Impact and 2012 together.

Without the help of likeable but rouge misfit deep drillers cast into space and an Aerosmith ballad, for that reason I’m out

On 17/11/2020 at 10:14, sne said:

Can not find a stream to watch it yet on telly in the UK, not out on Prime or Virgin box office as yet sadly

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Can not find a stream to watch it yet on telly in the UK, not out on Prime or Virgin box office as yet sadly

But just think how sweet it will be when you finally get to watch it :D 

Arkansas on Netflix was half decent for a first time film maker. The best bit for me was the soundtrack which had Flaming Lips covering a bunch of old country songs really beautifully. If only those songs were actually available anywhere. 

Â