The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I quite enjoyed  The Gentleman. For me, Colin Farrell stole the show. Charlie Hunnam terribly miscast, again, even without the terrible cockney accent ( Green St ). I liked the little nod towards The Long Good Friday at the end as McConaughey gets in the car with the Russians. 

I think Guy Richie as that Tarantino feel for dialogue. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

I watched the gentlemen last night and really enjoyed it. I kinda wondered where the hell it was going at first but once it got going it was a solid 8/10

Just watched it and thought exactly the same, lots of little nods to Ritchie's older gems and other classics and turned out to be bang on. Liked it a lot, GR back on form.

• Like 1

I know Zach Snyder is a hack who with no subtlety at all and a 11 year olds view of what's edgy and cool, but... I rewatched Watchmen the other night, and it's still a really good film. Admittedly all he's done is transposed graphic novel panel to panel with a few minor tweaks to the overall plot, and he's copied the dialogue wholesale, so he couldn't really **** it up, but still... It's bloody good.

This title sequence is still brilliant. Sets up the world the story takes place in superbly, and hints at some of the themes of the film with it's playing with conspiracy theories and myths. Also the only thing I've ever liked involving Bob Dylan.

Even @mjmooney might approve with that soundtrack ;)

The rewatch also made it more clear than ever that the story is mocking Rorschach throughout, all of his dialogue is a satire of right on wannabe hard men, as well as obviously being critical of his political views (the whole point of the character as everyone knows). But then also allows him to ultimately be the hero. You can see more clearly in the film why Alan Moore was always dumbfounded that people related to Rorschach, because Jackie Earle Haley is able to subtly imply how pathetic he is in a way that isn't so obvious on the page.

Edit - so many great sequences keep coming to mind

The whole Comedian funeral sequence with each recollecting their time with him... Brilliant.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 4

On 24/03/2020 at 21:56, sheepyvillian said:

I quite enjoyed  The Gentleman.  Charlie Hunnam terribly miscast, again, even without the terrible cockney accent ( Green St ).

No idea what accent that was supposed to be. Bits of Irish, American, Geordie....allsorts.

Apart from that not a bad effort from Richie. Who was the MILF who played Mickey's wife? FAF!!!

Edited by stuart_75

47 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

No idea what accent that was supposed to be. Bits of Irish, American, Geordie....allsorts.

Apart from that not a bad effort from Richie. Who was the MILF who played Mickey's wife? FAF!!!

That would be Michelle Dockery, Better known for being in Downton Abbey (Mary Crawley) although she was in that stupid Liam Neeson Non Stop film a few years back too

Edited by LakotaDakota

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

I know Zach Snyder is a hack who with no subtlety at all and a 11 year olds view of what's edgy and cool, but... I rewatched Watchmen the other night, and it's still a really good film. Admittedly all he's done is transposed graphic novel panel to panel with a few minor tweaks to the overall plot, and he's copied the dialogue wholesale, so he couldn't really **** it up, but still... It's bloody good.

The novel is good, but the ending is crap.

The ending of the film is far superior.

A film a day at the moment, taking it in turns with the other half to choose.

Tuesday was Just Mercy. Really good film would recommend, Michael B. Jordan is brilliant. A bit of an eye opener.

Wednesday was Onward. Standard Disney/Pixar film. An easy watch but nothing special.

My turn tonight, going for A Quiet Place as I have still not seen it.

Watched The Gentlemen this morning. My wife popped in intermittently and described it as a shit boy film. It wasn't shit, far from it but otherwise a fair approximation. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

I don't know, haven't noticed her in anything before, but, yeah, certainly caught my eye.

Had to Google your acronym. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

The novel is good, but the ending is crap.

The ending of the film is far superior.

Eh, yes and no.

The squid is stupid. It's intensely silly. But that's arguably part of the point of it. It's another angle of Watchmen mocking superhero comics, for going with completely daft plots, but then it uses it for an absurdly more serious point.

The film ditches the silliness for a cleaner narrative and it kinda still works to the same degree, but not quite. It still makes the same point, that humanity could only be saved from itself by threatening it with something else, but part of the point of the squid was that it was a completely unknown completely unexpected unknowable threat from nowhere. Whereas Manhattan was a man, and he was a logical and reasonable being, who everyone knew. He's less of a horror, even though he is framed as having committed a global atrocity, because the world knows him, has seen him, knows he was a man called John, etc etc. There's the impact of the squid being so out there, the apparently random attack from what is believed to be an interdimensional being that the world simply does not understand, which isn't quite there for Manhattan.

I can completely understand making the change though and it doesn't really alter the points the story wants to make. It's a much cleaner narrative and it's an easier sell to an audience. It's completely fine.

Incidentally iirc the Manhattan ending was, strangely enough, David Hatter's idea. Solid Snake tried to fix Alan Moore's genius.

• Like 1

Â