The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Ad Astra is a baffling mess of a film. I am a sucker for the cinematography of space set films, so all the camera work of space, inside and outside the ships, and the stars and the planets was hypnotic and the score supporting it made for a pleasing visual experience. 

Unfortunately the plot is so incoherent, I cannot tell you what it was trying to say. Something about daddy issues maybe? Brad Pitt has to carry a whole film, as the supporting cast are cardboard fleeting characters with no interest behind them, and Ruth Negga's character only seems to be added as a perfunctory plot service device to explain how Pitt gets from A-B. She is given literally two lines of backstory that conveniently arrives at the right time to drive the plot on, and it seems so transparently contrived, it takes you out of the film. 

There are a couple of absolutely left field scenes which seem like they are from a different film, as it takes elements from variously: Gravity, Apocalypse Now, Interstellar, The Martian, Event Horizon etc, but has none of the depth or focussed theme of those films around which the film can coherently pivot. Is it about isolation? Well not really. Is it about loneliness? Obsession?  Possibly. Is it about tracking down a senior figure - the father - to see if he's gone mad - well superficially yes, but it feels completely undercooked, the voice over narrative was fine, but the dialogue was useless and offered very little insight. "I am on my way to X" - Yes we know that, we have eyes, we can see that thank you very much and we can infer lots, but just to be sure we'll over explain large sections of the film. There are good scenes in isolation which are attractive to watch, but it is always let down by a shite script and wasted opportunities. 

I enjoy the slow burn nature of the film, and as said I'll happily indulge the cinematography which was beautiful, but the message is frustratingly empty. 

Watched two oddly named films yesterday 

the man who killed hitler and then Bigfoot - the brilliantly moustachioed Sam Elliot, who during his war service killed hitler and in his later years is sent by the government to track and kill Bigfoot. 

and

Dead in a week (or your money back) - a British comedy about a suicidal writer who pays an ageing assassin to kill him in a week, only for his life to take an unexpected upturn. 

both different but equally cooky. 

Edited by theboyangel

17 hours ago, theboyangel said:

the man who killed hitler and then Bigfoot - the brilliantly moustachioed Sam Elliot, who during his war service killed hitler and in his later years is sent by the government to track and kill Bigfoot. 

Soon as we saw it was him, the subtitles were immediately turned on. Same as with that GaGa movie, he just mumbles his way through everything. 

19 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Watched two oddly named films yesterday 

You’re right, that is an odd name for a film.

Watched Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile.

Sky Cinema original exploring the crimes of Ted Bundy from the perspective of his girlfriend Elizabeth Kloepfer.

Thought it was a good film which i enjoyed. Well worth the watch.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2019 at 11:27, mikeyp102 said:

Red Sparrow was really boring, lacking in storyline. Even the beautiful Miss Lawrence naked can’t save it.

Spoiler

I still cant understand how a film set in modern times is using floppy disks 🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Better be good, fingers and toes crossed.

It’s had universal acclaim from critics - it’s scoring 92 on Metacritic and 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Sounds like it’s going to be brilliant. 

• Like 1

Been enjoying my BFI subscription lately, some really good world cinema and neglected classics on there. But our choice last night was Ingmar Bergman's 1971 film "The Touch", with Max von Sydow, Bibi Andersson and Elliott Gould. Now, I'm a big Bergman fan, but this was bad beyond my wildest imaginings. The script was awful, but kudos to Sydow and Andersson (acting mostly in English) for a valiant attempt to make it less risible. The fault lies squarely with Gould, who put in what I can only describe as a masterclass in bad acting - the sort of thing that would be embarrassing in a local am-dram production, never mind a major director's movie. I'd actually urge you to watch it if you can, to wonder in amazement at how bad it is. The dialogue in the sex scenes especially is verging on the Pythonesque. 

Â