The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Been enjoying my BFI subscription lately, some really good world cinema and neglected classics on there. But our choice last night was Ingmar Bergman's 1971 film "The Touch", with Max von Sydow, Bibi Andersson and Elliott Gould. Now, I'm a big Bergman fan, but this was bad beyond my wildest imaginings. The script was awful, but kudos to Sydow and Andersson (acting mostly in English) for a valiant attempt to make it less risible. The fault lies squarely with Gould, who put in what I can only describe as a masterclass in bad acting - the sort of thing that would be embarrassing in a local am-dram production, never mind a major director's movie. I'd actually urge you to watch it if you can, to wonder in amazement at how bad it is. The dialogue in the sex scenes especially is verging on the Pythonesque. 

When I saw the first word, I immediately thought of the second word (Michael Palin saying it with a lisp)

Watched Netflix action flick The night comes for us after reading some pretty decent reviews.

Wasn't too bad but turns out this type of film isn't my thing anymore.

When I was 15 I probably would have thought all these skillfully choreographed action scenes be pretty fun, but now I just find them tedious.

Seen it all before and the 2 The Raid films for example are both much better but still not my jam anymore.

If ever I get the notion of watching something like this again I think I'll just rewatch the old John Woo ones from the early 90's. Far superior IMO.

7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Has anyone watched The Birdcatcher yet? Looks interesting.

Nice!

I'll keep an eye out for that one.

The Norwegian resistance during WW2 is a really interesting period.

Really liked this TV-show from a few years back on that subject.

It's called The Saboteurs in English I think.

The Saboteurs Poster

• Like 3

Spiderman far from home

they did well to tie it in to the previous MCU story lines and its an ok film, me watching it this late after its release says marvel are wearing off on me, Holland is good but the MJ awkwardness doesn't always work for me, you could see the "twist" coming from the 1st trailer but it still works and fits the character, the big ending is daft 

in to the spiderverse is better, don't think spiderman is "must see" in the same way that some of the other films are, he's kind of alongside ant man for me

The Farewell was a lovely film - chinese ( largely ) film that clashes west and east around a hastily contrived wedding as an excuse to say farewell to a dying matriarch - who doesn't know she's dying. It was funny and tender. 

• Like 1

Had a couple of hours to kill yesterday so watched the Hobbs & Shaw F&TF spin-off (as have to wait to watch Joker with the other half)

Thought it was a great dumb action movie - well humoured with great set pieces and wince inducing fight scenes. Perfect Sunday midday movie! 

It: Chapter Two

A bit overly long and drawn out, kinda disjointed and not scary at all.

They all go on their separate little adventures and meet Pennywise, and then meet up for the final fight that is a bit meh.

It's too long to the point I got bored. The "humor" elements are a bit misplaced and doesn't work.

On the other hand it's mostly well casted.

Bill Skarsgård is excellent again as Pennywise but it's never actually like he's going to get anyone of them so he's not really scary either.. 

Chapter One was a bit better tbh.

5,5/10

I can't remember how Breaking Bad ended, but I'll have to work it out or read some spoilers to watch this. I'm really bad at remembering the stories of TV shows and films from a while back. When we started watching series 2 of Stranger Things, I asked the missus who 11 was, as I couldn't remember any such character 🙄

other than poster campaigns Netflix don't really advertise though, they'll have it front and centre every time you sign in and then let social media go nuts over the weekend, same with the Irishman (which they're already letting the good reviews out)

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't remember how Breaking Bad ended, but I'll have to work it out or read some spoilers to watch this. I'm really bad at remembering the stories of TV shows and films from a while back. When we started watching series 2 of Stranger Things, I asked the missus who 11 was, as I couldn't remember any such character 🙄

Plenty of quick catch ups available. 

Went down a YouTube hole yesterday, forgot just how good that series was!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Seriously? It was probably the most memorable final episode of a series ever! 

Something about some Hells Angels-type dudes and a backwoods prison? Was that the setting? But yeah, I can't remember what happened. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Seriously? It was probably the most memorable final episode of a series ever! 

Surely not as memorable as waking up and it was all a dream?! 

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

"In the Shadow of the moon" 8/10. (Netflix)

I really enjoyed it.

Nice idea but poorly executed with a well telegraphed twist. It all ended a bit sudden too after taking ages to get there.

so it’s meh/10 from me

• Like 1

Â