The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

4 hours ago, sne said:

Just finished Annihilation (out on Netflix today) really liked. Thou I suspect it won't be for everyone.

Visually it is as expected stunning, and the sound is also very good. Would have loved to watch it in the cinema.

Won't spoil anything so I'll just leave it at that for the moment.

I recommend it to anyone who likes slow, mystery sci-fi. Shame Garland won't be involved in any potential sequels.

I have the books but have not read them yet, but I might crack on with that now.

8/10 WB

I'm looking forward to watching this, glad it sounds decent.

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Murder in the Orient Express this weekend wasn't bad. It's quite slight, but I don't see what else you can really do with the story without needlessly padding it, and it's a great cast having a laugh on very pretty sets with a **** ton of CGI to make it 'epic'. Not bad.

Not seen the new version, but I enjoyed the Albert Finney one from the 70’s. I assumed the story was fairly well known, but I’ve had a few mates say “don’t tell me who did it!!”.

What I like about it is you have this stellar cast - Connery, Bacall, Bergman, Gielgud, Redgrave etc and they all give these great, concise performances. And blimey Jacqueline Bisset was a knock out.

Sidney Lumet though, he knew his way around tight, claustrophobic films where most of it takes place in one location (Orient Express, 12 angry men, Dog Day Afternoon and the like).

• Like 1

Deadpool 2 was apparently test screened recently. It is apparently dreadful. Fox has had the reactions removed from Twitter, but this is the internet and these things don't go away.

It's now having massive reshoots seemingly to try and rescue it.

I don't think anyone will be surprised if it ends up being a mess. The first is really good, but like all things Deadpool, a little is enough. A sequel is destined to disappoint.

The hitman’s bodyguard was an easy buddy/action/comedy film to pass a Saturday evening too. 

Totally predictable but enjoyable all the more for it.

both Samuel L Jackson and Ryan Reynolds on typically good form.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Long and meandering, a lot of the supporting cast wooden and completely outshone by the star, it tries some twists and turns that a better watch would do with a more light touch but it surprisingly pulls it off and finishes well.

I liked the score, but thought the whole spectacle lacked females in leading roles.

Rather liked Annihilation.

Good mid budget sci fi. Probably not as thoughtful as Ex Machina, and certainly has flaws - the ending has something in it I'm convinced didn't make sense by the rules it establishes in the very same moment, and Natalie Portman isn't quite right in the role - but better than many things you'll have seen recently.

Saying that, I could see people not liking it. It is on the slower side, and it plays with expectations that many might see as unsatisfying.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Rather liked Annihilation.

Good mid budget sci fi. Probably not as thoughtful as Ex Machina, and certainly has flaws - the ending has something in it I'm convinced didn't make sense by the rules it establishes in the very same moment, and Natalie Portman isn't quite right in the role - but better than many things you'll have seen recently.

Saying that, I could see people not liking it. It is on the slower side, and it plays with expectations that many might see as unsatisfying.

Spoiler

The film ending differs from the book ending from what I've heard.

I can kinda see why Garland doesn't wan't to do the sequels now as his ending will make it harder to tie it up with the books that wasn't finished by the time he wrote the script for this one.

Without knowing the plot details I'm sure it can still be done and this ending still leaves room for sequels if someone else decides to step in and make them.

Sequels? I don't think there's any chance is there, the producers didn't trust it to do well enough for a cinematic release in almost all territories, hence the Netflix release here - due to Garland refusing to change the ending I believe.

Suppose Netflix could acquire the rights if it performs better than expected on their platform. 

IIRC audience reactions to early screenings weren't good, so Paramount tried to force changes, which Garland refused and one of the producers, who had final cut, backed Garland's version. So the studio got cold feet, think they've got a flop on their hands, and grabbed the cash from Netflix to distribute it outside of the home territories ( US and Canada, and China).

Paramount probably made the right call - it hasn't done well in the US.

Â