The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Yes, it looks like a cracking adaptation. The mini-series has quite a good reputation it seems, why I can't quite fathom. Curry is quite good as It, but isn't nearly as threatening as the character should be. This take appears to be running with the horror aspect more, which is good, I just hope the characters and story of Derry don't get lost amongst it. I also hope they emphasis that Pennywise is only one aspect of It, the mini-series didn't follow that through quite well enough, and as for the final reveal of It's true form, well...

What the mini-series did get right though was the Losers Club and Bowers' gang - part 1 of the film appears to capitalised on the success of Stranger Things and has done a similarly good job. I've always really loved the book, but the kids part is vastly superior. Even with that bit. I'm not sure they'll replicate the success of this (which I believe it will have) with part 2. It would be nice if they cast Seth Green as adult Richie, he's about the right age now too!

Just caught a bit of Inception for the first time in a while, as it was on telly.

It still looks good and there are lots of things I like about it.

Maybe it's me that's changed in the intervening years, but looking at it again now, I just find it all a bit silly.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My God @Xela, you watch some horrendous films.

Every now and again I just want to watch something easy! I was going to watch Arrival but my mind was mush after a tough day at work!

• Like 2

On 24/08/2017 at 10:13, Chindie said:

The solo Batman movie by the guy behind the last couple of Planet of the Apes films is now apparently not part of the Justice League universe and will form part of a separate line without Affleck, apparently. Only a month ago Affleck was batting off rumors he was out of the film.

How are Warner Bros this bad at doing this? It now seems like either they're going to spin out unrelated sub-universes from Justice League (which is going to confuse the **** out of people, potentially you're going to have 2 cinematic Batmen going at the same time), or do flashback movies to get around problems they've made for themselves. They'd almost be better off binning the whole thing and starting again. But then Wonder Women printed money so they can't.

How hard can it be?

Now we are getting a stand alone Joker movie too, with Scorsese producing and rumours of him trying to tempt Dicaprio into the lead role.....

I mean it could be amazing , but as you say WTF are they doing? 

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Every now and again I just want to watch something easy! I was going to watch Arrival but my mind was mush after a tough day at work!

That's the way I feel a lot of the time. I just look for the crappest horror film and  watch that. I watched the start of arrival and might get back to it

• Like 1

On 31/08/2017 at 04:13, maqroll said:

I'm not really a horror guy, but I read this book as a kid and loved it. The ABC miniseries was a joke, but this looks really good-

There's some clever marketing going on in Sydney ahead of then premiere.

theres loads of them about apparently 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Ghost in the Shell, a bit meh really. Even the lovely Scarlett Jo couldn't add much to it

She certainly couldn't save Rough Night which i watched recently.

Shes been making some strange film choices of late and damaging what was a pretty good CV up until recently.

Little Evil (Netflix Original)

This was actually better than i expected. There's a touch of self awareness of the genre ala Cabin in the Woods or Tucker and Dale. Its well shot and acted and looks great in 4k and it also manages to have some comedic elements which still being a bit unsettling at times ala Get Out.

While its not as good as any of those films its a solid 6.5/10 and worth a watch.

• Like 1

Â