The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've never read the book or seen the original (well, started to watch it a few weeks back but turned it off 'cos I thought it was rubbish) so a lot of the issues people are raising are kinda lost on me :D

Edited by PieFacE

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I've never read the book or seen the original (well, started to watch it a few weeks back but turned it off 'cos I thought it was rubbish) so a lot of the issues people are raising are kinda lost on me :D

How much of the story made sense to you if you haven't seen or read it before, I was wondering that because It just seems to be there with no explanation.

I did like the few nods to Maturin the turtle as well, I can't see them throwing him into the next film, it would run the risk of becoming all a bit 'Noel Fieldings Luxury Comedy' if they did.

And whilst it was a major problem with the original, am I the only one who missed the spider?

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

How much of the story made sense to you if you haven't seen or read it before, I was wondering that because It just seems to be there with no explanation.

I did like the few nods to Maturin the turtle as well, I can't see them throwing him into the next film, it would run the risk of becoming all a bit 'Noel Fieldings Luxury Comedy' if they did.

And whilst it was a major problem with the original, am I the only one who missed the spider?

Well, I didn't think anything was really explained, I just took it for what it was really and didn't think about it with any depth. 

I did think Pennywise was brilliant, which makes it even more annoying that they didn't manage to make it a scary film. 

I'm finding it really hard to explain why, but it just wasn't scary. At no point did it feel real. 

Evidence of that, for me, was the behaviour of the audience. I said before that I was dreading it because usually audiences are loud and annoying during horror films. But this time, a full cinema barely flinched. 

Which to be fair I was grateful for, but I do think.it shows that there wasn't many scares. The only.time there was any reaction was the jump moment after the bit with Bev's dad. 

Just didn't hit the spot for me. Wasn't scary, the gore was often comical (again that bit at the start just looked hilarious) and I didn't care about the characters. Which is quite the effort given how loveable the losers are in the book. 

If we're scoring it I'd go for a 6/10. That might be generous.

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Oh and I was really looking forward to the gang bang scene between a load of 12 year olds but for some reason they left that out :huh:

Haha I was waiting with trepidation to see if they would tackle that one. 

I did for a minute think they might with a couple of the things they were hinting at, but alas no.

My OH thought I was winding her up when I told her about that part of the book afterwards.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I did think Pennywise was brilliant, which makes it even more annoying that they didn't manage to make it a scary film. 

I'm finding it really hard to explain why, but it just wasn't scary. At no point did it feel real. 

Evidence of that, for me, was the behaviour of the audience. I said before that I was dreading it because usually audiences are loud and annoying during horror films. But this time, a full cinema barely flinched. 

Which to be fair I was grateful for, but I do think.it shows that there wasn't many scares. The only.time there was any reaction was the jump moment after the bit with Bev's dad. 

Just didn't hit the spot for me. Wasn't scary, the gore was often comical (again that bit at the start just looked hilarious) and I didn't care about the characters. Which is quite the effort given how loveable the losers are in the book. 

If we're scoring it I'd go for a 6/10. That might be generous.

Thing is though, how do you make a scary film these days? I think that film fans and maybe people in general have been completely so desensitized to horror that you can appreciate that a film is attempting to be scary and you can enjoy it without it actually being scary to you.

I honestly can't remember the last time that a film genuinely scared me, probably when I was about 11 or 12 and watched poltergeist 2, the old man (Henry Kane) scared the living daylights out of me and he wasn't actually scary, he was just more creepy and sinister.

I also thought that the apocalyptic rock fight was extremely poorly executed, that was a landmark moment in the book and was a genuinely tense and dangerous moment, in this version of the film though it was done with an almost lighthearted comedic element.

I mentioned before that Henry was underused and I think that his mates were underused as well, I mean Patrick Hockstetter is just there, in the book he was completely unhinged, I mean he locked animals in a fridge and gave Henry Bowers a **** handjob, when I was watching it I didn't even correlate the character onscreen with the one in the book.

There was one scene where the character of Beverly looked genuinely terrified, it was just a split second shot but that one shot was probably my favourite in the film because it actually looked real.

I think Full Hockstetter had about as much chance of being in the film as that bit. That's a very memorable sequence in the book, his humming and rocking as he beholds the fridge which contains his treasure, after getting a thump for trying to wank off Henry...but it doesn't really serve any purpose to the overall story at all. A bit like Ed's encounter with the pharmacist. 

Ed getting his arm busted by the bullies instead of what happens in the film would have been a worthwhile inclusion though, as has been mentioned they were under utilised a bit, and the final encounter was a bit meh. 

14 minutes ago, hogso said:

I think Full Hockstetter had about as much chance of being in the film as that bit. That's a very memorable sequence in the book, his humming and rocking as he beholds the fridge which contains his treasure, after getting a thump for trying to wank off Henry...but it doesn't really serve any purpose to the overall story at all. A bit like Ed's encounter with the pharmacist. 

Ed getting his arm busted by the bullies instead of what happens in the film would have been a worthwhile inclusion though, as has been mentioned they were under utilised a bit, and the final encounter was a bit meh. 

agreed, the original ending is absolutely batshit crazy but I was looking forward to seeing them try to at least tackle some aspects of it, apparently the director has said that he isn't a fan at all of the Maturin space turtle mythology stuff but has said that they might expand on it a little in the 2nd part.

Yeah the rock fight was another bit that came across as hilarious. Not sure if that was how it was meant. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Thing is though, how do you make a scary film these days? I think that film fans and maybe people in general have been completely so desensitized to horror that you can appreciate that a film is attempting to be scary and you can enjoy it without it actually being scary to you.

I honestly can't remember the last time that a film genuinely scared me, probably when I was about 11 or 12 and watched poltergeist 2, the old man (Henry Kane) scared the living daylights out of me and he wasn't actually scary, he was just more creepy and sinister.

Well I don't watch many horrors at the cinema. But the last one I saw at the cinema was The Babadook. 

It was terrifying. 

On 9/4/2017 at 08:25, Stevo985 said:

Saw Detroit yesterday.

Brilliant stuff. Another win for Bigelow in my book.

very good and wonderfully tense though loses a mark for an unintentional comic moment that I certainly saw coming and probably shouldnt have laughed at

Spoiler

when the cop didnt know they were scaring them by pretending to shoot and he actually shot the guy dead

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

If you're off work tomorrow, or you can't sleep tonight, may I recommend Dogtooth at midnight on Film 4. It's bonkers and wonderful.

Brilliant film. But utterly mental. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

The Free State of Jones, whilst an interesting account of true events and a decent cast was a little dull and drawn out.

Fascinating story but the film didn't do it justice.

I thought it was brilliant, if I remember correctly. 

It's been a while since I watched it

Edited by leemond2008

Â