The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

La La land ... think I'll pass

not really a fan , think I did watch Sweeny Todd on TV once but other wise it's just not my bag 

One exception being ( and the only decent musical ) Across the universe 

Oscar nominations... most diverse ever. Justified nominations? I really hope and its just not a box ticking exercise to avoid further criticism 

• Like 1

Just watched Trainspotting for the first time in years to get ready for the sequel. Forgot how good some the dialogue was. Introduced it to my partner. Decided against warning her about the baby and toilet scenes. :)

• Like 1

On 24/01/2017 at 21:28, Rodders said:

The Skin I Live In  from Almodovar a few years back. Absolutely brilliantly twisted and disturbing. Feel like Under the Skin would make for an interesting double bill. Banderas is so good as the psychopath. 

Brilliant film

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Oscar nominations... most diverse ever. Justified nominations? I really hope and its just not a box ticking exercise to avoid further criticism 

Some of the moonlight nods aren't imo 

and fences has done better than it has for the golden globes, baftas etc

that said fences rating on RT is 95%, moonlight is 99% and lion is 87% so they are highly rated films

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

bit of a theme this week with my Amazon viewing

13 minutes based on George Elsers attempt to kill Hitler  ... I always watch films with interrogation scenes and think I'd have told them everything before the bad guy had even got his gloves on ... everybody should know Elser's name  ... I suspect not many do

and

Labyrinth of lies  - about the first ever prosecution of death camp crimes by a German court  ... I saw a review that gave it 2 stars  ... it's more deserving than that imo ... but I've not yet done my web research to check how accurate the film is ( yes I'm  sad but I can't help it nowadays with any "true" movie)

of the two  13 minutes is the better film  ... but I'd recommend them both

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

20 mins into The Theory of Everything. Does it get any less pompous or out of its own arse?

It's about one of the cleverest men alive today, going to Cambridge to study Physics, what were you expecting!? :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

20 mins into The Theory of Everything. Does it get any less pompous or out of its own arse?

I'd suggest that if anyone takes leave from the film they're watching to post on VT (about it or anything else) then it's not worth them watching the rest of the film (whether it's any good or not).

• Like 2

Saw La La Land the other night.

I don't like musicals, we saw it effectively because there wasn't much else to see.

I kinda liked it despite it being a musical. It's not 14 Oscar noms good, but it is beautifully shot and produced and nails what it set out to do - be a modern 50s musical. And Ryan Gosling is proving ever more how versatile an actor he is. He's surprisingly good as a comedic actor and his performance is full of little quirky personality traits that raise a smile - I was reminded of John Cleese's performance as Basil Fawlty in his little reactions to things (see also his performance in the Nice Guys).  Stone is fine, she can do the role in her sleep, and it's nothing special plot wise, but if you can ignore the musical tropes (which aren't overbearing in truth) it's a decent watch. Not greatest ever by miles, but decent.

7 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

It's about one of the cleverest men alive today, going to Cambridge to study Physics, what were you expecting!? :D

It was just all about these good old chums in Cambridge and a lovely family with Elderflower wine and everything's lovely and everyone's got money and it's all lah-de-dah. That was until 20 mins in though. After the diagnosis obviously it gets a bit less saccharine. 

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

I'd suggest that if anyone takes leave from the film they're watching to post on VT (about it or anything else) then it's not worth them watching the rest of the film (whether it's any good or not).

I hardly ever give anything my full attention :( it's something I need to stop doing.

On 25/01/2017 at 20:03, Zatman said:

Split :puke:

was like an extended version of a Criminal Minds episode. only watchable for some really good acting by McEvoy but the rest is just Shyamalan rubbish

OMG and WTF. I am never again watching anything by M. Night to Remember Shalamar. I can't believe the positive reviews for this crap. 

14 hours ago, darrenm said:

Unfortunately not, I don't say this very often but I hated it. Bored me to tears for some reason and felt like it was a made for TV film.

Trainspotting 2 - had set me adrift on memory bliss for t best part of 2 hours. 

It holds its own as a stand alone film, but it's a nostalgia buzz for us late 30's/early 40's peeps.

kind of a bit like the force awakens for Star Wars fans. Nothing revolutionary, but you can revel in a bit of the old magic. 

On 25/01/2017 at 20:09, Rodders said:

Just watched Trainspotting for the first time in years to get ready for the sequel. Forgot how good some the dialogue was. Introduced it to my partner. Decided against warning her about the baby and toilet scenes. :)

As good as the film is ,and it is good , the book is one of the best reads I've had for sheer hilarity ,tinged with the odd tragedy here and there .

I enjoyed Trainspotting 2 it was an entertaining breeze but I could people watching as a nostalgia piece. Flashbacks were good for me as I havent seen film in a while

Begbie again is main star in an OTT performance again:D

Â