The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I still await the day the whole manga is adapted in to full series. The film is basically half the story, with some kick ass characters taken out, and the ending whacked on. Still a classic though. 

Watched Suicide Squad last night, fearing the worst.

However, it wasn't as bad as I expected (but by no means brilliant!) and there were a couple of good bits in it.

Margot Robbie was very good to be fair and surprisingly so was Jai Courtenay.

The effects were also decent, particularly the Enchantress but the plot and dialogue were pretty ham-fisted.

A solid 5/10 for me.

Had a very productive film day yesterday. Watched for the first time:

The Revenant

Bridge of Spies

Both great. Probably enjoyed Bridge of Spies a bit more. Although Tom Hardy's Fitzgerald in Revenant was masterful.

• Like 1

la la land

firstly its a properly beautifully shot film, not always but when it kicks in theres a lot of bright colours, good use of lighting, some great sets, it looks very arty and its incredibly hollywoody, that is what sets it apart and will win it the awards

the music for those that dont know anything about it, ryan goslings character is a jazz pianist so a chunk of the music acts are jazz club stuff which was fine, i would say that there arent actually that many big musical numbers, theres 2 in the first 10 minutes but then it dies down a bit around the middle and towards the end so that element of it kind of worked for me

the acting, gosling is as dreamy as ever and it seems kind of strange that he might win stuff for this role given his number of hardcore acting roles (staring at things in the distance, trying to remember if he left the oven on) that he struggled for recognition in, emma stone didnt do it for me if im honest, she's got a lisp when she sings, neither of them are spectacular in it

the writing...this is where the film falls down, i really enjoyed the end, i thought it was cleverly done and worked for me, overall though the main story is really simple, the relationship between the 2 characters doesnt really have much depth to it, theres no real development and it doenst really go anywhere until the end, as a result its just kind of boring, no doubt if you appreciate the singing and dancing and how pretty it looks you'll watch it with a smile on your face but its masking a really shallow film

6/10 i think

Elvis & Nixon was a great (if short at 82 mins) film. 

Two decent performances by the two main leads, Michael Shannon and Kevin spacey and well complimented by the smaller roles. 

To think this meeting actually happened!

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

Similar puns made elsewhere in on topic, but it's bloody typical that "Enemy at the gates" is being shown on film four tonight.

I'm watching trainspotting instead. I love it, but whether it's deliberately bad or not, I still cringe at the London montage bit. 

Sunday evenings I like to go for an easy watch, light hearted comedy offering. Your 40 year Old Virgins, Stepbrothers, Superbad, I Love you Man etc are regular favourites. Something easy to have on while you're doing the ironing or generally sinking into a deep depression about starting work the next day.

Last night I made the fatal error of trying something new. I went for "Dumb and Dumber To".

Wow. To say it doesn't have the magic of the first film is an understatement. I think i laughed once in the first hour at probably the only joke you couldn't see coming from a mile away.

That's as far as I got. An hour in and realising there was almost an hour left was too much so I turned it off.

Absolutely awful.

And on that note, why do so many films insisting on being 2 hours these days? If that movie was a 90 minute film then it wouldn't seem like such a slog. And believe me, there is absolutely nothing in the plot to justify it being that long.

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

la la land

i would say that there arent actually that many big musical numbers, theres 2 in the first 10 minutes but then it dies down a bit around the middle and towards the end so that element of it kind of worked for me

Exactly. During the first two songs I was thinking HELL NO but it's not a problem for the rest of the film.

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Manchester By The Sea - 8/10.

Casey Afflek take a bow. 

An impressive film, particularly his performance, but thoroughly depressing.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2017 at 00:51, Meath_Villan said:

But what if I thought Les mis was kinda OK .....Am I ghey ???

I saw La-La Land last night and (contrary to my expectation) thoroughly enjoyed it. I would be worried about myself if it weren't such a beautifully made film.

You're wrong on Les Mis though ;)

On 21/01/2017 at 14:26, Stevo985 said:

I didn't mean it as evidence. It was just an example of one I tried to watch recently.

If you'd like me to post a list of all the musicals I've ever watched then I can ;)

I have absolutely no feelings on the matter either way. 

La La Land is great though. Particularly the first quarter of an hour and the last quarter of an hour.

The Skin I Live In  from Almodovar a few years back. Absolutely brilliantly twisted and disturbing. Feel like Under the Skin would make for an interesting double bill. Banderas is so good as the psychopath. 

• Like 3

The Getaway (1994)  

In my opinion this film is not as good as the film of the same title in 1972 starring Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw but this one starring Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger is still pretty good and worth watching 

• Like 1

Just now, pooligan said:

The Getaway (1994)  

In my opinion this film is not as good as the film of the same title in 1972 starring Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw but this one starring Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger is still pretty good and worth watching 

Pooligan, no offence but do you get all your dvds from charity shops ;)

Â