The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

just jumping about the Cloverfield bandwagon while it is here. I loved and swiftly bought that movie but it gets such little love - even from people I lend or recommend it to that I thought I was on my own!. But then I am a sucker for found footage type movies.

It also scores bonus points for starring the quite lovely Jessica Lucas

Ugh, I'm not against found footage in principle but it's very easy to do it badly.  Cloverfield for me was 'meh'.  Not bad, but not memorable either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Ugh, I'm not against found footage in principle but it's very easy to do it badly.  Cloverfield for me was 'meh'.  Not bad, but not memorable either.

It was memorable for me at the time. 

Found footage has been done so often since that it probably wouldn't have anywhere near the same effect these days.

but back then i'd not seen much "Found footage" stuff so it really worked for me.

Patriots day

not quite as America **** yeah as I thought it would be, blows a lot of smoke up bostons ass at times, watched it more in interest as to what happened and from that perspective it didn't disappoint, I liked the way they used some real cctv footage and pictures at least made it feel quite accurate, even if from what I've since read wahlbergs character is made up but I can see why they did it, he Pieces it together, they didn't show that much of the aftermath and they didn't really go over the motives that much but it's a decent film, better than it probably should be

Hacksaw ridge

story about a bloke who refuses to carry a gun going off to serve in ww2 as a medic, getting lots of hype around it but not many award nods, I can see why, it's nowhere near as good as it should be, Garfield is just about OK but some of the casting is piss poor, vince Vaughan as a wise cracking drill instructor simply doesn't work, he doesn't have the menace, the action scenes are good but not top notch, overall it just lacked impact, the training camp part needed to be longer, some of the story arcs are basic paint by number stuff, pretty disappointing if I'm honest

and if I'm now working my way through the Oscar nods I can honestly say hacksaw ridge, sully, moonlight all really disappointing, still think hidden figures is the best of the bunch that I've seen, will probably watch la la land at the weekend as well as maybe arrival, fences or Manchester by the sea 

Finally got around to seeing Rogue One a couple of nights ago & I absolutely loved it. 9/10

Growing up as a kid I was mad about Star Wars and this had enough subtle nods to the originals without being to blatant about it.

I haven't enjoyed a movie at the cinema that much in years. (Admittedly I don't go very often)

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 18:23, OutByEaster? said:

I caught Blue Ruin on the TV the other night, completely by accident - I liked it, quirkily put together, with a sort of strangely unrealistic real feel to it, like watching someone who hasn't slept for weeks - very well done.

Good film, another I just saw by the same director is Green Room. Not bad but not as good as Blue Ruin

• Like 2

Finally saw Rogue One last night.

Honestly, I was disappointed.

It's a decent film and I did very much enjoy it, but it's one of those that as soon as I left the cinema it was behind me. I didn't really take anything away from it. 

I think I preferred the Force Awakens

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Hacksaw ridge

story about a bloke who refuses to carry a gun going off to serve in ww2 as a medic, getting lots of hype around it but not many award nods, I can see why, it's nowhere near as good as it should be, Garfield is just about OK but some of the casting is piss poor, vince Vaughan as a wise cracking drill instructor simply doesn't work, he doesn't have the menace, the action scenes are good but not top notch, overall it just lacked impact, the training camp part needed to be longer, some of the story arcs are basic paint by number stuff, pretty disappointing if I'm honest

and if I'm now working my way through the Oscar nods I can honestly say hacksaw ridge, sully, moonlight all really disappointing, still think hidden figures is the best of the bunch that I've seen, will probably watch la la land at the weekend as well as maybe arrival, fences or Manchester by the sea 

Ooh yes I remember I wanted to see that.  The story it's based on is fascinating.

Oh and yes La La Land.  Another in my list of films 'Wild horses couldn't drag me to ...".

I'm violently allergic to musicals. I think we've been down this road before though in here.  I break out in a rash and punch the nearest thing when people randomly break out into song in a movie.  No **** way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

Oh and yes La La Land.  Another in my list of films 'Wild horses couldn't drag me to ...".

I'm violently allergic to musicals. I think we've been down this road before though in here.  I break out in a rash and punch the nearest thing when people randomly break out into song in a movie.  No **** way.

How do you feel about people in real life who break out in to song to express emotion?

1 minute ago, hogso said:

How do you feel about people in real life who break out in to song to express emotion?

Y'know, that doesn't seem to be an issue with the people in my life :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

May have told this before, but as a child my Dad got took to see South Pacific by my Nan, and his two sisters, being told it was a war film. As soon as they started singing, he got up and walked out. They found him sat on the door step, when they got home.

To your Dad...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Â