The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Having just seen the others mentioned I could understand why you'd think I'm that bad, but yes I've see the terminators, Beverley Hills Cops and Lost Boys. Was thinking of more classic most sees rather than weekend at bernies...(unless you are actually being serious)

No I just thought you were doing a sweep of 80s films!

On 27/04/2016 at 23:25, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Just seen the trailer for the new Gylenhall film Demolition. Not overly imtruiged by the trailer but will definately see it just because he's in it, one of very few actors that draw me to a film purely because theyre in it. Hope he keeps up the recent great standard. 

I thought it was really excellent.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 06:05, TheAuthority said:

"Brazil" is a great movie to continue the sci-fi theme.  More surreal than Alien and Blade Runner though.

Have you seen Thelma & Louise which Ridley Scott also directed? The cinematography of the American west is fantastic. It was filmed in Arizona and Utah and it's worth a watch for the landscapes alone. 

There are a lot of "must sees" from Kubrick of course.

If you are watching Brazil you need to follow it up with The Zero Theorem. Seemed to fly under the radar but I really enjoyed it.

Watched the Wolf of Wall Street the other day, it was my second viewing and I think I enjoyed it more this time.

How Leo didn't get an Oscar for that I really don't know, can't remember who beat him at the moment. At least he got one in the end but it was for the wrong film imo. I would have given him one for Django over The Revenant as well. Tom Hardy was the best thing in that movie.

• Like 2

Enjoyed Kingsmen last night.  I'd been avoiding it for a long time because of Colin Firth, but a few mates reassured me that it's good fun and that I wouldn't want those hours of my life back.  So it proved.

I was disappointed with the Jack Reacher sequel.  'Never Go Back' was quite the apt title in hindsight.  It's not a terrible movie or anything.  It's just not a patch on the original.

And as someone who isn't a big fan of Star Wars, I quite enjoyed The Force Awakens.  It managed to quite successfully capture the magic of the originals in its sounds and its overall feel.  I'm told Rogue One missed that by a mile (amongst other flaws - 'clunkily expositional story-telling') so I'll be giving that a miss until I've watched every other movie ever made.

i think whilst you're sat in the cinema the force awakens made your loins tingle a bit more but on reflection and repeat viewings that magic dampens and you realise its a solid but unspectacular film that trod on some well worn ground, rogue one fairs better, it looks stunning has some great action, nothing mind blowing in terms of storytelling and id say as to be expected with such a large cast not all the characters work

i think by the end of disney's first phase or whatever guff they end up calling it RO will be held in higher regard out of the 2

• Like 2

Watched an Irish movie last night called 'The Young Offenders', its about 2 young lads from Cork who set off to try find a bail of cocaine by the coast aftet the coast guards caught the largest ever cocaine seizure in Ireland and some of the bails went into the ocean and washed ashore. I thaught it was great and would highly recommend it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BOF said:

And as someone who isn't a big fan of Star Wars, I quite enjoyed The Force Awakens.  It managed to quite successfully capture the magic of the originals in its sounds and its overall feel.  I'm told Rogue One missed that by a mile (amongst other flaws - 'clunkily expositional story-telling') so I'll be giving that a miss until I've watched every other movie ever made.

That's odd.

I haven't seen Rogue One yet (I'm going on Wednesday) but the consensus I've heard is it's definitely the better of the two new Disney Star Wars.

Although they are apparently very different films so it probably comes down to personal taste.

The Force Awakens is close to the original films by basically nicking the same plot and having a few old faces.

Rogue One has the look of the older movies. The art design is the same, as it's a literal prequel to the first film, and while darker it has some of the feel of the original trilogy.

I think Rogue One is closer to the older movies. Force Awakens is too slick and clean. Rogue One has the same standards (as newer movies obviously) but it's looks and style are much more in line with the older films.

• Like 1

Assassin's Creed - you won't be surprised to learn, was  shit. Worst film I've seen in a cinema, in probably a decade - since Spiderman 3. ( It's better than that, mind, nothing tops that piece of garbage obviously ). The fight scenes of AC were well choreographed but it clearly struggled from trying to cram too much in, resulting in no proper plot development, no character development and general confusion as to what the hell was going on. 

Watched Richard linklater's Everybody Wants Some!! Set in 1980 and chronicles the lives of a college baseball team over the weekend before college starts. 

Typically linklater-esque with witty dialogue, good characters, great soundtrack and awesome outfits and hair. 

Probably more a companion piece to dazed and confused than Boy and a pretty good watch. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 12:16, Stevo985 said:

That's odd.

I haven't seen Rogue One yet (I'm going on Wednesday) but the consensus I've heard is it's definitely the better of the two new Disney Star Wars.

Although they are apparently very different films so it probably comes down to personal taste.

I'd give Force Awakens 9/10 and Rogue One 6/10.

I've spoken to many people who have watched both films, and it seems to be split as to which one they enjoyed more.

It seems that if you enjoyed the originals and are a Star Wars 'fan', then you love Rogue One and don't like Force Awakens.

If like me, you saw the originals for the first time in the 90's-00's, then you probably aren't a big Star Wars fan.  In which case Force Awakens is much better than Rogue One.

On 1/14/2017 at 12:59, Chindie said:

The Force Awakens is close to the original films by basically nicking the same plot and having a few old faces.

Rogue One has the look of the older movies. The art design is the same, as it's a literal prequel to the first film, and while darker it has some of the feel of the original trilogy.

I think Rogue One is closer to the older movies. Force Awakens is too slick and clean. Rogue One has the same standards (as newer movies obviously) but it's looks and style are much more in line with the older films.

The trouble with Rogue One is that if you aren't a fan, the first half an hour makes no sense. There's Empires and Alliances and Senates and Rebels and i had no idea who was who. The last hour also is just a generic action shoot-em-up with the usual hanging off ledges, explosions and running around.

Force Awakens worked as a stand-alone film, with a simple tight plot.

10 hours ago, ender4 said:

It seems that if you enjoyed the originals and are a Star Wars 'fan', then you love Rogue One and don't like Force Awakens.

If like me, you saw the originals for the first time in the 90's-00's, then you probably aren't a big Star Wars fan.  In which case Force Awakens is much better than Rogue One.

I'm this too, and I enjoyed Rogue One much more than Force Awakens. And I don't know anyone who would disagree with that either.

• Like 1

Â