The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Haven't seen Joe Black or World war Z.

Maybe I should keep it that way?

I don't hate Meet Joe Black, and it has Claire Forlani in it so there's always that.

WWZ is a great book which they could have made tons of interesting movies from but they choose to just use the name as they knew it would sell and then made a silly action hero movie with nothing in common from the book. Every Zombie is Usain Bolt and physics doesn't apply anymore. It's like a poorly written video game.

• Like 1

WWZ is alright imo, doesn't touch the book, would have been better served as a series with an ensemble cast showing all the different story arcs but Brad Pitt owns the rights so he made a huge big budget Brad Pitt film 

I would go as far as to say Brad Pitt films are my guilty pleasure, really like him as an actor and think he's actually quite underrated 

I don't think the book to film disservice is as anywhere near as bad as I am legend 

Which would be part of me saying will Smith is overrated, he just doesn't make good films, got maybe 3 or 4 decent ones at best and not one for a long time now 

Edited by villa4europe

15 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Watched The Dirt last night, based on The Motley Crue book of the same name, it was OK, as rock biopics tend to be. Nothing earth shattering, just OK. The Dirt is one of my favourite books, it probably should have remained just a book. 

Watching it now, not sure why... Doesn't help that I think the music is utter garbage, it feels like the really cheaply put together film that it is

On 24/10/2020 at 23:20, villa4europe said:

Watched trial of the Chicago 7 with Cohen excellent in a more serious role, its a good film and worth a watch, I like the way they used real footage where possible, got a great cast, it's all a bit daft and ridiculous how it came to that

Another film that makes a mockery of American justice 

Yes it's a very good film that leaves you totally aghast at the american legal system.

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button.

Watched it for the first time, it's pretty good.

Can't think of anything I've seen Pitt in that I didn't like.

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Joe Black? 

7 hours ago, sne said:

World War Z is an absolute steaming pile of a movie.

“Ocean’s Twelve” FTW, right?

(In fairness I haven’t actually watched it but I’ve not once heard a good thing about it - even the thought of the Julia Roberts character playing Julia Roberts is enough to put me off for life).

• Like 2

On 26/10/2020 at 09:19, Wainy316 said:

There’s definitely more honey trapping later in the film.  The republican rally is pretty startling.

Due to him being widely recognised the daughter character is used to keep the schtick effective and the Bulgarian that plays her is bloody brilliant.  

Aside from that the story itself all comes together pretty nicely at the end too.  They definitely capitalised on the circumstances.

Yeah, the film gets better the longer it goes on.  And it's more of a 'film' than the first one.  The first one was hilarious as an expose of crazy ass Americans. This one was more overtly politically aimed at the right wing republicans, and had more of a storyline.  And the daughter character was superb.  I found the first half hour a bit crap and scripted, but it has to be seen as a different type of film to the first.  Once I'd understood that, the film grew on me. 

I'll give it a solid 7.5/10.

Edited by Jon
Spelling

On 26/10/2020 at 09:19, Wainy316 said:

There’s definitely more honey trapping later in the film.  The republican rally is pretty startling.

It's startling in how heavily it's edited to make it look like people were going along with it.

SBC is a fraud tbh. I watched it, I enjoyed it, it was entertaining, but you can't believe any of it actually happened as shown in the film. And that should be fine, it's a film, but he seems to pretend that he's actually got some kind of journalistic integrity, that he's revealing something, when what he's really doing is presenting heavily edited footage and claiming it as some kind of exposé.

Watched the Witches remake, made a right hash of it. One of the first proper books I read the kids so has always had a special place in our hearts. For some bizarre reason it is set in the Deep South of America but the real problem is if you have read the book or even seen the 1990 version you will feel short changed

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Watched the Witches remake, made a right hash of it. One of the first proper books I read the kids so has always had a special place in our hearts. For some bizarre reason it is set in the Deep South of America but the real problem is if you have read the book or even seen the 1990 version you will feel short changed

Was waiting to see what someone thought of the remake as my kids (8 and 6) are desperate to see it.  The 1990 version is still liked in our house and each summer when in Newquay we show the kids the hotel that was used. 

Shame the latest version hasn’t followed the book or set itself in England, but that’s Hollywood I suppose.  

33 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Was waiting to see what someone thought of the remake as my kids (8 and 6) are desperate to see it.  The 1990 version is still liked in our house and each summer when in Newquay we show the kids the hotel that was used. 

Shame the latest version hasn’t followed the book or set itself in England, but that’s Hollywood I suppose.  

Setting it in the deep south and also making the lead roles African American does not add anything to the story apart from the opportunity for the film to make some social comment it really does not need to delve into, such as the hotel manager stating to the grandma and kid that not many 'people like you' (or words to that effect) get to stay in a posh hotel/room like this and a few other cringeworthy moments. 

• Like 2

The original Witches film is superb. The opening is one of the most haunting sequences in a family film ever, and the rest of it has a powerfully odd atmosphere - at once quite relaxed and soothing but piqued by moments of quiet horror and ominous dread. And it's funny. An absolute classic.

The remake looks like trash.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The original Witches film is superb. The opening is one of the most haunting sequences in a family film ever, and the rest of it has a powerfully odd atmosphere - at once quite relaxed and soothing but piqued by moments of quiet horror and ominous dread. And it's funny. An absolute classic.

Paid £15 for the privilege as well in hope, as stated avoid at all cost if you have read the book or seen the 1990 version 

Borat reeks of the desperation of a film that didn't ever need a sequel, which with comedies they don't get get away with 

It has its moments but the sexism doesn't work, the racism doesn't work and the unsuspecting victim routine doesn't work, there's not enough bites

Will add make no doubt about it rudy was on the brink of whipping his cock out and they stopped him on purpose, dirty old ****, that part of the film is worth watching but not for comedy reasons, it's scary shit 

Edited by villa4europe

On 29/10/2020 at 09:12, Chindie said:

one of those films that I personally found absolutely terrifying.  Big fan of horror but the idea of watching this again makes me break into a cold sweat. Think its because I was so little when I watched it and had read the book but it gave me nightmares as a kid and I have no desire to ever watch it again lol

Â