The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm stunned.

The Departed is one of my favourite films. It's **** brilliant

I honestly went in to it expecting to love it, the premise alone had me really looking forward to it, and I'd come off the back of watching Shutter Island so had high hopes for another Scorsese/DiCraprio film. I found myself just checking my watch through it though to see how long was left, it was a real slog. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it, but I'm not sure I could watch it again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 23/09/2020 at 20:04, Rodders said:

Well Bill and Ted 3 was lovely. I mean you probably have to have affection for the first two to enjoy it, lots of in jokes and nods to the other films, but I went with it. Acting was a bit iffy at times I concede at times, but if you go in happily pre disposed to enjoying the film, you'll enjoy it. Very low budget clearly though!

I thought it was just good fun. Definitely “for the fans” but considering some of the rubbish that comes out that tries to build on past glories, this was definitely one of the better. Probably assisted that it was the first time in a cinema in well over 6 months and there was no one else in there!

Soundtrack isn’t bad either with Mastodon & Lamb of God on it. Interestingly Animals as Leaders are credited as playing “Face the Music” which is cool. 

It Chapter 2.

I'm not a massive horror fan but I quite liked the first It remake. Wasn't really scary but had a few cool moments of tension and dread.

The sequel then. Ooft. It's not scary, or tense, or at all horror inflected really. It's more of a comedy. You can tell they hurled cash at it, there's an incredible amount of CG for this kind of film, but it's all for nought. It's a bit..  rubbish.

It comes to something there's a repeated Easter egg nodding at the fact that King is infamously bad at endings, and the film itself is an example of being bad at endings. Meta.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It Chapter 2.

I'm not a massive horror fan but I quite liked the first It remake. Wasn't really scary but had a few cool moments of tension and dread.

The sequel then. Ooft. It's not scary, or tense, or at all horror inflected really. It's more of a comedy. You can tell they hurled cash at it, there's an incredible amount of CG for this kind of film, but it's all for nought. It's a bit..  rubbish.

It comes to something there's a repeated Easter egg nodding at the fact that King is infamously bad at endings, and the film itself is an example of being bad at endings. Meta.

I thought it’s biggest issue was being about 2 and a half hours long, regardless of how faithful to the book it was or wasn’t you can’t make that sort of film so long without it dragging.

Having said that I still enjoyed it.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Watched Enola Holmes on Netflix last night with my eldest who is nine years old, we all quite enjoyed it.

Good cast too.

Off topic but I was putting my bet selection down this morning whilst reading VT and your username prompted me to have an each way bet on a horse at 80/1 today called Zhui Feng, really odd how the brain works but be a scream if it comes in

spacer.png

Intelligent, unsettling horror/western hybrid.

One of the reviews I read said something along the lines of 'Imagine if Repulsion had been directed by John Ford' which is pretty much a perfect description.

Very good indeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Off topic but I was putting my bet selection down this morning whilst reading VT and your username prompted me to have an each way bet on a horse at 80/1 today called Zhui Feng, really odd how the brain works but be a scream if it comes in

Ah haha it's funny how that works sometimes, don't hold me accountable if didn't come in.

Feng means wind, Zhui is a family name (pronounced something like Jwee Fung).

Zhan Zhuang is a way of developing power in the internal martial arts and translates as 'standing stake'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Ah haha it's funny how that works sometimes, don't hold me accountable if didn't come in.

Zhan Zhuang is a way of developing power in the internal martial arts and translates as 'standing stake'.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It will either run like the wind or like it has wind, the latter no doubt but worth a quid each way to find out 

• Haha 1

On 26/09/2020 at 14:08, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I believe it is still running now 

• Haha 1

On 26/09/2020 at 07:00, cyrusr said:

Interestingly Animals as Leaders are credited as playing “Face the Music” which is cool. 

Apparently, each time they do a "WYLD STALLYNS!" lick it's Tosin Abasi as well.  That and Anthony Carrigan (who tends to the best part of anything he's in, for my money) were my two favourite things about it.  Samara Weaving confuses me, as I find her quite attractive whilst simultaneously acknowledge that she does look quite a bit like her uncle, so... guess I'm into Hugo Weaving?

Hugo Weaving befuddled by people misinterpreting The Matrix

Phwoar.

• Haha 1

I watched Lucy at the weekend, which fell firmly into the "so bad it's good" category. Based entirely on a bogus concept people have known was bullshit for decades about "humans only using x% of their brain" to have someone unlocking more of their brain power allowing her to...move things with her mind, and stop time?

It's as entertaining as it is ludicrous. I enjoyed it, but almost certainly not for the reasons anyone working on it intended. Mr Morgan, Ms Johansson? You should be better than this. 

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I watched Lucy at the weekend, which fell firmly into the "so bad it's good" category. Based entirely on a bogus concept people have known was bullshit for decades about "humans only using x% of their brain" to have someone unlocking more of their brain power allowing her to...move things with her mind, and stop time?

It's as entertaining as it is ludicrous. I enjoyed it, but almost certainly not for the reasons anyone working on it intended. Mr Morgan, Ms Johansson? You should be better than this. 

Bogus concept? How do you explain the existence of noses then? What decimalised portion have they unlocked?

Edited by Follyfoot

Watched a film by the Chinese tourism board called Mulan

To me its the film that makes the most sense going live action and I really enjoyed it, its a beautiful looking film, they shoe horn in a lot of the country, they could have gone further with wuxia stuff for me but there's just enough of it to make it cool, same with the martial arts I would have liked more but it does enough with it to work 

Best Disney live action film by a distance 

The Mrs is now going to get treated to hero, CTHD and house of flying daggers... 

• Like 1

Â