The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 15/12/2019 at 06:22, villa4europe said:

Will start mine when I'm back in England next week, lampoon's, elf, 34th Street and then the main show muppets 

Muppets whilst wrapping presents on the 24th is standard 

Started today with MO34th (1947) - Think it will be Home Alone tomorrow when Mrs A and I exchange pressies, then flying to the in laws in California on 23rd and will do Lampoons on Christmas Eve.

• Like 1

Two in today

Two Popes - Jonathan Pryce is so watchable as Pope Francis. Despite being militantly anti-horseshit myself this film was very engaging. 

The Irishman - good, but far too long. Needed an intermission to get through it. Could have cut out half an hour or so with ease, but on the whole I enjoyed it, even if the de-aging was particularly weird looking on Joe Pesci

As I watched the new Star Wars film today, Mrs F and my daughter watched Cats. Best thing Mrs F could say was to advise folk on here not to waste any hard earned money watching it. She enjoyed her coffee though.  

Currently watching Gremlins! Still enjoyable today.

Brilliantly, not only is Cats a complete car crash, they've had to 'patch' it. Like a game.

Why?

They released it with unfinished CGI. And not just unfinished as in it looks horrific (because the finished thing looks an unholy abomination). They literally forgot to CGI bits. So you have things like Judi Dench having normal human hands. Or her disembodied floating face roughly placed on some cat monster wearing the skin of her last victim. Or characters not actually seeming to be walking on the floor.

So they've released a 'fixed' version. Movies are now games.

• Like 2

Somebody somewhere is having a truly terrible Christmas because of Cats.

There are the folks literally working on the cgi and editing fixes now and expected to work over Christmas to get it re released  next week.

Then, then there’s the money people. Remembering they are still employing people to finish it even now, costs to date are something like $100 Million. Pre Christmas opening box office ..... $10 million.

Unless they can persuade people the fix is transformative, or they can persuade people its so bad its a must see, then someone has taken a proper spanking. The sort that will close companies and finish careers associated with it.

I guess it could be a grower. Perhaps the people that paid ten million to see the first version will pay another ten million to see paws instead of ballet shoes.

• Like 1

It was always an odd choice for the big screen, something like Wicked would have been far better. My memory of the show on stage is a vague premise about a group of cats who have a leader, and it decides which one is special. Along the way various cats get their own little song. Then the end bit happens. That's it. 

The more I hear about it the more I want to see it. In a way it will complete the zeitgeist for this bizarre decade. 

47 minutes ago, hogso said:

. My memory of the show on stage is a vague premise about a group of cats who have a leader, and it decides which one is special. Along the way various cats get their own little song. Then the end bit happens. That's it. 

Went to see it up that London.

My abiding memory is that the theatre was not designed for 6’2” punters. Genuine discomfort from both the actual show and the ridiculously uncomfortable contortion I had to perform just to sit there.

Could’ve bought 4 or 5 records for the price of that ticket.

The lighthouse is something else. You can literally smell the sea air and taste the salt it’s that atmospheric.

Its definitely a marmite film not least because of the aspect ratio and it being black and white, there’s some brilliant performances here and they have to be to carry the fairly basic story, I think I need to see it again but I do recommend it.

Just watched "Nativity" on Netflix. Now, it is what it is - light family comedy, but as usual I read some IMDB reviews, and this one left me totally WTF? (Wouldn't let me copy text, so I've screenshotted it): 

Screenshot_20191225_204819_com.imdb.mobile.jpg

Watched Shazam! with the family this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

its the best Warner Bros/DC Comics film but admit there isn’t too much competition there.

now watching All The Money In The World, a true story about the kidnapping of John Getty III in Rome. Pretty decent but doubt I’ll finish it tonight as I’m knackered  after a day of being in the kitchen and eating a lot of the spoils! 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I imagine people on here absolutely love it, or will love it, but I have never wanted to see a film less after watching a trailer than that Jojo Rabbit shite. I'd rather watch Cats FFS.

Saw a TV spot about 10 mins ago, didn't show much good, the full trailer made it look very good though, then you throw in who's made it and the reviews and I'll be watching it

On 24/12/2019 at 23:54, AVFCDAN said:

The lighthouse is something else. You can literally smell the sea air and taste the salt it’s that atmospheric.

Got to about 30 minutes of this before being bored to sleep, and I usually love anything with Dafoe in it.

Finally finished the Irishman.

Eh, it's... a weak one for Scorsese imo. It's too long, far too long, the decision to de-age the cast whilst understandable doesn't work (that scene with the shopkeeper, Christ...), it's messy and oddly slight in its story (the whole point of the film, that it spends the better part of 3 hours getting to, is set up and dealt with in about 15 mins)...

You can see why it took Scorsese decades to make. It's because there's not a compelling filmable story here, so he's kinda ended up making an odd rambling diatribe about an ultimately fairly boring man embroiled in the crossover between gangsters and unions at a time when that came to it's inevitable head. With a subtext about getting old.

It's Scorsese so it's well made and the cast is mostly great, but they're working with something that isn't all that exceptional.

• Like 3

There’s even a scene where Stephen Graham, playing Tony Provenzano, slips in some scouse pronounciation.

I watched it as its a genre I generally like, I thought it was quite a poor effort. Absolutely no idea why its three and a half hours, other than I’m guessing he was able to name his price of Netflix, maybe. And that was his price, nobody could tell him to take 90 minutes out of it.

I’ve seen it go straight to the top of some people’s ‘best’ lists. Well they’re wrong.

I did like how all the young guys in flash back scenes creaked around like blokes in their seventies, that was funny.

Pesci dialled it in, not that he was ever exactly Shakespearean. 

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Got to about 30 minutes of this before being bored to sleep, and I usually love anything with Dafoe in it.

Damn ye, Winslow. You're fond of me lobster ain't ye?

Â