The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

21 hours ago, Rodders said:

Jojo Rabbit is fecking wonderful. Film of the year / decade so far. Very funny and tender. Don't understand the sniffiness from some quarters. They seem to miss the point entirely. 

Thought it was brilliant......

Finally got round to watching the Hellboy reboot.

Er. Yeah... I mean its rubbish. It's not a patch on the del Toro films, was obviously made for about a fiver, and you can tell it's a 'troubled' production, with messy editing and bizarre plot threads it opens and closes in seconds of each other, like it wanted to do an origin story and a sequel and a sequel to that with some nods to other stories while it's at it. And theres some atrocious acting. And theres a distinct feeling of 'that'll do' to all of it. It's gore is kinda try hard and sad. It also appears caught between at times wanting to be a pure comic book movie and toying with being more horror inflected, but ends up being a shit comic book movie with a few moments of bad horror esque stuff that feel half baked.

But it's not appallingly bad. It was spoken about like it was one of the worst films ever made, and it's not. It's bad, properly bad, but it's watchable trash. It's a stupid action movie with a budget too small to do what it wanted to and looks like the studio get heavily involved and **** it even more, leaving it a mess. But it's not offensively bad, if you can look past some really, really bad accents and performances and sub Dr Who sets, it's an ok way to pass 2 hours.

It's a shame that they have never really caught what makes the Hellboy comics quite so good. The del Toro films are great but they're there own thing really, which is why Hellboy creator Mike Mignola doesn't really like them. But then he got involved in this film and this kinda isn't it either... The comics are dark and brooding and stylish, page after page of art poking through pure blacks, with tonnes of little bits of folklore and this tone that's hard to pinpoint. At once there's a dark humour to them but also elements of the macabre, of an ominous foreboding and of fear and primal dread. The films haven't ever got that. 

Probably never will, sadly.

Watched a few films lately...

A Vigilante - Olivia Wilde is utterly brilliant in it and I quite liked the film even though it gets pretty poor reviews. It's very bleak but is a good watch imo.

Dragged Across Concrete - Very tense film and really made me think towards the end. Good performance from Vince Vaughn in a more serious role to his usual shite. Also, I came to a realisation that this was the first Mel Gibson film I had ever watched! Which was a bit mad 😂

The Art Of Self Defense - Jesse Eisenberg playing the usual role of Jesse Eisenberg but was a good indie film, in a "quirky" way.

Watched "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" on the weekend.

Despite my love of The Rock, I usually avoid a lot of his films as they can be... well.... shit

But this one was actually pretty fun. Funny in places and ridiculous action. But the whole premise of them being in a video game makes the ridiculous action completely acceptable.

Enjoyed it, will seek out the sequel now.

I also watched "Fighting with my Family" on Friday. That was pretty good too! They've taken some liberties with the story, particularly around Paige's lack of experience. But it's a fun watch

(also I'm not sure if there's a story around it, but I'm not sure why they didn't use the real AJ Lee at the end)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

(also I'm not sure if there's a story around it, but I'm not sure why they didn't use the real AJ Lee at the end)

She left a while back And is married to CM Punk who until recently was at loggerheads with the company.

She is played by Zelina Vega who is a WWE wrestler/valet herself.

I absolutely hated the original Jumanji film. Like the reboot and will seek out the sequel. My wife hated the reboot but liked the dog shit original. It's a strong contender for the worst film of all time. Only beaten by Mission Impossible 2 and Bram Stokers Dracula. 

34 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

She left a while back And is married to CM Punk who until recently was at loggerheads with the company.

She is played by Zelina Vega who is a WWE wrestler/valet herself.

Ah ok, gotcha. I didn't realise she'd left. That makes far more sense as I presume they filmed it at an actual WWE taping, so there would have been all sorts of issues with getting the real AJ Lee on there.

I thought given they had people like Big Show, Seamus and obviously The Rock in it they'd have used AJ for a relatively small role.

But yeah if she's left that's totally different.

Already posted my Movies of the year list and has not seen this one but my buddy who is a serious Cinemaphile has this one at the top of his movies of the year list so I'm going to check it out.

It's a Danish film originally came out in 2018 called "Den Skyldige" Might be something

The Guilty Poster

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the original was awesome!

it hasn't aged well though, the new one is also good, just 2 hours of daft fun

I loved the original too, although I was like 10 so my judge of cinema probably isn't great

I was interested to hear my friend call the first Jumanji reboot the "third" Jumanji film.

Some googling alerted me to "Zathura". Which I'd never **** heard of. But seems to be a sequel of sorts to the original Jumanji

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

yeah I was 11 when the original came out so hold it the same kind of regard as Jurassic park and independence day 

zathura I can remember but it was to do with space and I was older and had no interest in it at all

There's no direct connection to Jumanji apparently, just set in the same universe.

Apparently the book was more of a direct sequel.

John Favreau directed it though, so that's going in the "Just in case I ever go on Pointless" memory bank

Â