The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

You can see why it took Scorsese decades to make. It's because there's not a compelling filmable story here, so he's kinda ended up making an odd rambling diatribe about an ultimately fairly boring man embroiled in the crossover between gangsters and unions at a time when that came to it's inevitable head.

On the contrary, there are many fantastic films that could be made out of the links between the unions and the mob. It's just a shame that The Irishman isn't really one of them. But there absolutely are compelling and filmable stories to be told in this history.

The Lighthouse was something else, really liked that one.

Fantastic acting.

It had a almost Annihilation (the book and film) vibe to it. Both incidentally features a lighthouse and a suffocating feeling of people slowly losing their minds. Less color than that film thou.

• Like 1

The reboot of Hellboy sadly sucked ass. 

a real shame for David Harbour who wasn't bad at filling Ron Perlman's boots but the material (and co-stars) he had to work were terrible. 

The end credits hinted at a sequel, which is hugely optimistic by the filmmaker! Never going to happen. 

Watching Ford vs ferrari

For all the stick people (including me) give some of the ropey accents on peaky blinders Christian Bale, who's a damn good actor, has a proper ropey brummie accent, sometimes he nails it, sometimes it's like he's strolled in off the dales 

• Like 2

I ended up liking F vs F more at the end than I did at the start. Bale's accent is absolutely off-putting at the beginning when he's being 'quirky' or whatever, but when the film gets down to business it's better. The racing scenes were quite atmospheric, if not very realistic, but my main gripe is that Ford just aren't a plucky underdog and they keep trying to sell it like it was some big thing that the largest car manufacturer in the world was able to make a really quick car when they actually started trying.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Overall its a good film, accent aside there are good performances, it's biggest problem is its not as good as rush, both in terms of story but especially in how the races are filmed

The name is daft, can see why they changed it for European audiences, not so much the American plucky underdog stuff which no one buys in to but because even glossing over the liklihood of how misrepresented ferrari are they are criminally underrepresented, the 2 companies don't share the screen, they share 10 minutes near the start and then some of the race, the film is shelby engineers vs Ford corporate, petrol heads vs suits, the adversity comes from within, they built the car in spite of Ford, the plucky little men fighting the big men fighting the big men, it doesn't really work bar some interesting moments, they don't show ferrari as being anything any different for example, they don't develop Enzo or bandini in to anything interesting, I think they show the genius and passion of miles and shelby 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Overall its a good film, accent aside there are good performances, it's biggest problem is its not as good as rush, both in terms of story but especially in how the races are filmed

The name is daft, can see why they changed it for European audiences, not so much the American plucky underdog stuff which no one buys in to but because even glossing over the liklihood of how misrepresented ferrari are they are criminally underrepresented, the 2 companies don't share the screen, they share 10 minutes near the start and then some of the race, the film is shelby engineers vs Ford corporate, petrol heads vs suits, the adversity comes from within, they built the car in spite of Ford, the plucky little men fighting the big men fighting the big men, it doesn't really work bar some interesting moments, they don't show ferrari as being anything any different for example, they don't develop Enzo or bandini in to anything interesting, I think they show the genius and passion of miles and shelby 

Completely agree with that. It goes to show the power of a name; if they'd called the film 'Shelby & Miles' I probably would have liked it 50% more.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Â