Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

He might be 34, he might be past his best and just about to be released but I would still like to see Marco Reus in a Villa jersey 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 22:56, supermon said:

So what good DM are we going to buy, think Kamara missing has really cost us points and games this season. 

The names we’ve been linked with are Palacios and Varela… scouts have been noticed at Porto games… and we seem to enjoy raiding Leverkusen (might be more difficult now though)…

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, sne said:

Gossips seem to really want us to sign this guy. Just won't go away. He's out of contract this summer but even then I don't see him adding much to us.

He will keep the physio’s busy when Mings, Buendia, Ramsey and Kamara return to the first team.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

For me we definitely need the following

DM - similar level to Kamara who can instantly be first choice (especially as Boubs won't be back until the Winter)

RB - to challenge/replace Matty Cash

LB - first choice needed as cannot see one of Digne/Moreno being here next season

ST - Back-up to Watkins but at a better level than than Duran is currently (unless Unai is looking to use Rogers more as a striker/forward next season)

Additional options

CM - a dynamic, versatile CM who can play a number of positions in midfield 

We're all hoping that Mings and Buendia return in the same shape/standard they were at  before their respective injuries but that is a big ask and I guess they'll be integrated gradually as seen fit to do so. 

The return of Jacob Ramsey will also give us a huge boost if he's well and truly over his foot injury woes (he and Morgan Rogers should have our left side of midfield sorted) 

I think we have a very good nucleus of players in the squad, which with 3-4 astute signings could be more than good enough to compete similarly to this season. 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Both Kelly and Adarabioyo sound like they are signing for Newcastle

Well Hermoso is out of contract and apparently we are a front runner. I also think he is better than those two. 

But yeah a left cb that can play left back also is perfect for us. So Lloyd Kelly would also be decent too. 

We need 5 centre backs.

Is Denis Zakaria, at Monaco, good enough to be our alternative to Kamara? I'm sure he's strong enough and good at tackling and interceptions, but is he technical enough for us?

2 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Is Denis Zakaria, at Monaco, good enough to be our alternative to Kamara? I'm sure he's strong enough and good at tackling and interceptions, but is he technical enough for us?

Felt he struggled at Chelsea. Never good to write someone off because of that see (Salah, De Bruyne) but think we could do better. 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

He might be 34, he might be past his best and just about to be released but I would still like to see Marco Reus in a Villa jersey 

He was a wonderful player in his prime but would be like signing Joe Cole a decade on.

12 hours ago, sne said:

Gossips seem to really want us to sign this guy. Just won't go away. He's out of contract this summer but even then I don't see him adding much to us.

oh nice, its 2019 all over again!

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

He was at Chelsea last year but barely played. Good rep at 'Gladbach. Kamada the same, looked fantastic in the Bundesliga but not quite lived up to expectations at Lazio.

One who'd be very ambitious but I'd love as a Pau Torres type signing this summer would be Joao Paliniha. Perhaps Bayern Munich will make another move for him and make things academic but you'd think after two years at Fulham he'd seriously consider us offering him CL football?

Alvarez at West Ham is the sort of profile we need. They signed him for 35m so this is the transfer window where Monchi means business I imagine and he'll find a similar type.

I did wonder if giving Napoli Donk was a bit of a sweetener to have a look at someone like Lobotka who's been an excellent DM for them. They won't be making CL so I assume they'll have to sell a few of their top players.

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

Both Kelly and Adarabioyo sound like they are signing for Newcastle

But how much of the £400bn will they have left to spend after signing them 2?

Posted (edited)

Based on players we've been linked with so far, I'd be happy with the following:

• Hermoso (Atletico Madrid) - free
  • Fofana (Monaco) - £25-30m
  • Baena (Villareal) - £35m
  • Frimpong/Dumfries (Leverkusen/Inter) - £30-40m
  • A young centre back (astutely scouted) to replace Carlos if we sell him

That would set us back over £100m, so I imagine we may need to sell someone even if we make top 4. Baena is an inverted left sided player so my bet is that it could be Ramsey, but obviously I hope not. Possibly we won't sell anyone key if we can decent prices for Cash, Digne/Moreno and Carlos (perhaps £40-50m all in) and get some money for Donk, Coutinho, Hause, Sanson and Chambers (perhaps £20m). Not holding my breath though.

We could then line up as follows next season which is a very good side with lots of options to rotate the side (Mings, Buendia, Rogers/Ramsey, Tielemans, Kamara, Diaby etc):

Martinez

Frimpong/Dumfries Konsa Pau Hermoso

Fofana Luiz 

Bailey McGinn Baena

Watkins

Edited by Leeroy

11 hours ago, AshVilla said:

If we can get Martin Zubimendi we should.

DM and midfield controller, check.

Barcelona want him so that's the big problem.

Merino I think only has one year left on his deal and he's a big unit in central midfield so he'd be a really good pick up from Real Sociedad. Played for Newcastle years back under Benitez so would have no issue adapting.

• Like 1

From highlight videos that Fofana looks more like McGinn type midfielder than Kamara, although Percy said we want DM and CM, so maybe he would be a CM option and the DM would be someone else

Dream shopping list for the summer:

Alex Baena

Mikel Merino

Mario Hermoso

Youssouf Fofana

Giorgio Scalvini

Jeremie Frimpong

IRL, I imagine it would be 2-3 of these guys plus a collective of loans/youth players showing enormous potential.

• Like 1

Â