Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Sangare is a good shout if Forest get relegated, he was outstanding for PSV and hasn't lived up to expectations at Forest, but on a good deal I think would be solid starter/backup to Kamara. 

tbh, we dont need an ok-ish backup to Kamara, we need a top level DM who can directly compete with Kamara for the DM role.

We probably wont have Kamara for the first 6 months of the 24/25 season, and even then it might take him some time to get back up to speed and fit again, so it could be Feb/Mar before he is fully back up to speed (the season 75% done by then).

half the season without an elite DM would be a huge bag of trouble for us, and if we did buy one, even when Kamara is back, i would guess both could play some games, and they could compete for the other games.

for me personally, DM along with a left back and right back, are our 3 key areas this summer.

i would say 4th and 5th priority is a ball playing no.10 (Joao Felix type of player), and maybe a striker, depending on what happens with Duran.

a top quality DM is critical though, imo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, we dont need an ok-ish backup to Kamara, we need a top level DM who can directly compete with Kamara for the DM role.

We probably wont have Kamara for the first 6 months of the 24/25 season, and even then it might take him some time to get back up to speed and fit again, so it could be Feb/Mar before he is fully back up to speed (the season 75% done by then).

half the season without an elite DM would be a huge bag of trouble for us, and if we did buy one, even when Kamara is back, i would guess both could play some games, and they could compete for the other games.

for me personally, DM along with a left back and right back, are our 3 key areas this summer.

i would say 4th and 5th priority is a ball playing no.10 (Joao Felix type of player), and maybe a striker, depending on what happens with Duran.

a top quality DM is critical though, imo.

Sangare is a good physical destroyer, the question mark is his passing and form this season now he is in the PL

https://fbref.com/en/players/bced0375/scout/365_m1/Ibrahim-Sangare-Scouting-Report

If they just want someone to break the play and give it to someone else he works.

Edited by paul514

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Why not - why so Kamara guranteed to be started upon his return from injury ? Kamara is a great player who cost us zero so no amortisation so if he gets usurped and doesn’t wanna fight for the shirt we sell him for big money and reinvest. 

because like i said i think we'll sign a midfielder who compliments him, while at the same time do a better job than luiz of covering him

i dont see us signing a player that is a straight up DMC and its a case of 1 or the other in a rotation

my preference would be Thuram with us then having a starting 1st choice midfield of thuram, kamara and luiz, should kamara be out then thuram can cover 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think we won’t actually go out of our way to sign an outright CDM. 

No doubt people will be unhappy, but I have a feeling Unai will target a ball playing CM who can be defensive at times over a defensive CDM. 

I think this would be a big mistake and I dont expect it. We have several CMs who can be defensive. We need a CDM who can be progressive like Kamara, who we're so much better with and is out until autumn.

One who can cover CB would be perfect.

• Like 1

Several sources claim that Matías Soulé is VERY CLOSE to being an Aston Villa player starting next season.

The forward is 21 years old and currently plays for Frosinone.

I saw him play a little in the under-20s and he seems like a star to me. I hope it is done...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Several sources claim that Matías Soulé is VERY CLOSE to being an Aston Villa player starting next season.

The forward is 21 years old and currently plays for Frosinone.

I saw him play a little in the under-20s and he seems like a star to me. I hope it is done...

Left footed right winger…we have Bailey and Diaby for that, wouldn’t it be surprising for us to get another in?  Surely we’d be looking for a right footed left winger?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Left footed right winger…we have Bailey and Diaby for that, wouldn’t it be surprising for us to get another in?  Surely we’d be looking for a right footed left winger?

Young, possibly one for the future or to beef up the squad, we probably won’t be signing Zaniolo (reports in Italy today stating we’re not going to exercise the purchase option… but they’re not the most reliable either)…

Dunno if the link is legit but it’s intriguing if not exciting…

let’s sign more Argies I say! The Emi’s will look after em! 🇦🇷 

A summer of Soule & Williams is unrealistic yet sexy and covers off a whole host of forward positions. Hermoso on a free leaves us with looking for Monchi magic conjuring up two new centre midfielders. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We have Ramsey, Buendia, and also Rogers who could all do that role but I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign another…

Gonna be an exciting summer regardless…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sign a quality DM and I will be confident and relaxed about other signings and next season…

That’s the priority for me anyway… Bouba won’t be back and in his groove for a while.

Once again, names that have been linked are Palacios and Varela.

Whatever Unai wants…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Think he’d be brought in more for being an attacking midfielder or second striker who could cover the wings… Nico Williams is your right footed left winger. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Young, possibly one for the future or to beef up the squad, we probably won’t be signing Zaniolo (reports in Italy today stating we’re not going to exercise the purchase option… but they’re not the most reliable either)…

Dunno if the link is legit but it’s intriguing if not exciting…

let’s sign more Argies I say! The Emi’s will look after em! 🇦🇷 

Yeah I spoke to my brother earlier and he’s hearing loads we are definitely in for Baena (he has no ITK) and it’s close.  Whether true or not it certainly seems we are in for a winger given all the links for various players and John Percy mentioning the other day that we want a winger.  I just assumed it was a right footed left side like Baena.  I’m just going with the flow to whoever we buy (give or take, I’m sure I’ll hate some links 😁)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Think he’d be brought in more for being an attacking midfielder or second striker who could cover the wings… Nico Williams is your right footed left winger. 

Yeah Williams is class, I just get the feeling with that club and the special bond with the area for their players he won’t be leaving.  Never say never though.

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I think this would be a big mistake and I dont expect it. We have several CMs who can be defensive. We need a CDM who can be progressive like Kamara, who we're so much better with and is out until autumn.

One who can cover CB would be perfect.

The challenge is that this profile - physical CDM who is also progressive and can play in a posession style Unai wants - is exceedingly rare. It's probably the only position as scarce as an all around CF.

And even if there is someone who fits the profile, you'll be sure that players in on the target list of a lot of other squads. Caicedo cost 100M and he's a physical counter presser but not a natural 6 who can drop in the line and has made his share of terrible mistakes in possession. Spurs have Sarr and Hojbjerg but ask Spurs fans about them and their reviews are less than complimentary. Palhinha at Fulham was targeted by Bayern but was anyone impressed when Watkins stole the ball off several times? 

That's why I think people will be disappointed by some of the CM names we will be linked with because I think Unai will still prefer a ball playing CM over a purely defensive CDM.

The dream would be a defensive CDM who is also progressive but that list is short and expensive.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The challenge is that this profile - physical CDM who is also progressive and can play in a posession style Unai wants - is exceedingly rare. It's probably the only position as scarce as an all around CF.

And even if there is someone who fits the profile, you'll be sure that players in on the target list of a lot of other squads. Caicedo cost 100M and he's a physical counter presser but not a natural 6 who can drop in the line and has made his share of terrible mistakes in possession. Spurs have Sarr and Hojbjerg but ask Spurs fans about them and their reviews are less than complimentary. Palhinha at Fulham was targeted by Bayern but was anyone impressed when Watkins stole the ball off several times? 

That's why I think people will be disappointed by some of the CM names we will be linked with because I think Unai will still prefer a ball playing CM over a purely defensive CDM.

The dream would be a defensive CDM who is also progressive but that list is short and expensive.

I like the breakdown and interpretation. So based on what you’ve said what targets come to mine? Any that you suggest fit this mould? 

Â