HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Again, stop saying people are accepting to “lose against Burnley” no one has said that. We are debating how much of a must win it is.

You want to win every game but at the same time you are prepared to 

That is not a winning mentality. You’re writing off games there.

Emery will want to win against Burnley, Arsenal AND Liverpool. 

I want us to win against Burnley, Arsenal AND Liverpool.

I am saying a world is possible where it proves we didn’t need to beat Burnley, because we can pick up points elsewhere. Exactly how we failed to beat Sheffield United but we beat Man City so the lost win against Sheffield United was banked with the somewhat unexpected win against Man City.

If we can make the points up elsewhere, then that reduces the “must win” nature of the Burnley game.

That’s it from me on the subject, cos I know what’s going to happen is you’ll read all that and come away thinking “I don’t know why Mark thinks it’s ok to lose to Burnley…”.

I value your opinion, but mines different, an I'll explain why.

Beating Man City for me, did not 'make up' for the draw against Sheffield, cause if we beat Sheffield we would have been top of the league, so we actually missed out on 2 points. Same as, if we lose against Burnley and beat any other team, we still would have lost 3 points. From where we are, we need to be beating teams we are expected to beat, as in reality, we are only getting lucky against the top teams, or else the title would be seriously on.

I'm accepting we won't win every game, does not mean I want our our losses to come against the relegation scrappers, but in reality It all depends on expectations I guess. Take Leicester for your example, do you think they thought, "if we lose to Bottom of the league, it don't matter, as we will make the points up elsewhere", an surely they didn't think the title was on at Christmas, if they did, why shouldn't we?

• Like 1

Can’t see Emery going with the formation or team below, but I would mix it up a bit and have our FB’s pushing up wide:

Martinez

Konsa     Carlos    Lenglet

Cash                                         Moreno

McGinn       Luiz

Zaniolo                     

Bailey                 Watkins 

Subs: Marshall, Proctor, Chambers, Pau, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam, Ramsey, Diaby, Duran

3-1 win and finishing the year on a high.  UTV

No Boubs, Pau, Digne or Youri plus the poor form of JJ, Moussa and Nicolo mean that this is much tougher than it should be. They are relatively ok away from home too. I suspect that this will be tight. We need the crowd to stay with the team. I think we will nick it by the odd goal but would not be surprised if we fail to take three points. Big, big game. Would bite your hand off for a 1-0 now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

No Boubs, Pau, Digne or Youri plus the poor form of JJ, Moussa and Nicolo mean that this is much tougher than it should be. They are relatively ok away from home too. I suspect that this will be tight. We need the crowd to stay with the team. I think we will nick it by the odd goal but would not be surprised if we fail to take three points. Big, big game. Would bite your hand off for a 1-0 now.

To think positively tho, Cash (who scored twice against them early in the season) is back from suspension which means that Konsa can move back centrally. Digne very kindly waited until Moreno was back up to speed before getting injured. Bailey is looking good and Watkins is due a goal. Agree 1-0 will be fine tho. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Amazingly my daughter bought me and her lower ground tickets for this for Christmas. First time up this season for me and her first time since she was about 8 as she wasn't interested for a while. Has just got back into it so hoping we put on a show today. 

Hopefully you both have a good day and would be interested to know what your experience is like in the lower grounds as haven’t tried that out yet. 👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm accepting we won't win every game, does not mean I want our our losses to come against the relegation scrappers, but in reality It all depends on expectations I guess. Take Leicester for your example, do you think they thought, "if we lose to Bottom of the league, it don't matter, as we will make the points up elsewhere", an surely they didn't think the title was on at Christmas, if they did, why shouldn't we?

FWIW, if we're going to lose and win games this season, it's actually better to lose against relegation scrappers and then beat the teams around us.

• Like 2

Given the injuries I'd go... 

Emi

Konsa, Carlos, Lenglet, Moreno

Dougie, McGinn

Bailey, Zaniolo

Diaby, Watkins

I'd rather we don't see Dendoncker, his passing is crap and he slows us down so much. Rather see McGinn and Dougie a bit deeper and let them 4 up top have a proper go. 

Going for 3-1, Diaby to score at least 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Can’t see Emery going with the formation or team below, but I would mix it up a bit and have our FB’s pushing up wide:

Martinez

Konsa     Carlos    Lenglet

Cash                                         Moreno

McGinn       Luiz

Zaniolo                     

Bailey                 Watkins 

Subs: Marshall, Proctor, Chambers, Pau, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam, Ramsey, Diaby, Duran

3-1 win and finishing the year on a high.  UTV

Three central defenders against Burnley?

Sweet jesus.

• Haha 1