HalfTimePost

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

Haha. As what, the best we've had in 30 years?

We will hopefully end the year in the top 4, why would we want to drop down the league? 

Yes 5th will be a okay finish, but why can we not focus on a top 4 finish, which means cracking on, an smashing crap Burnley off the pitch.

People saying if we don't beat these it's okay have a pretty low expectations, especially after beating Arsenal and playing Man City off the park.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

We will hopefully end the year in the top 4, why would we want to drop down the league? 

Yes 5th will be a okay finish, but why can we not focus on a top 4 finish, which means cracking on, an smashing crap Burnley off the pitch.

People saying if we don't beat these it's okay have a pretty low expectations, especially after beating Arsenal and playing Man City off the park.

Low expectations or realistic expectations? We are on journey it’s ok to take time otherwise we could be Newcastle and I’m not sure that would be appreciated on here.

Just now, smg said:

Low expectations or realistic expectations? We are on journey it’s ok to take time otherwise we could be Newcastle and I’m not sure that would be appreciated on here.

I wasn't even bothered about CL as I know we'll do a Newcastle. But watching these games, there is no stand out team to knock us out, apart from Man City, so to me it's realistic to get at least 4th.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So we need a win here now, or some still not bothered.

Shittest team in the league, gotta be 3 points.

Well, it’s not a “must win” in the sense that we can feasibly (and realistically) finish in a champions league spot if we don’t beat Burnley.

That being said, we must win some games in order to achieve such a finish. 

So by that logic, some of the remaining 19 games ARE must win.

If we don’t win tomorrow, it will make one of the other 18 games more “must win”. If we do win, it will ease the pressure of getting points elsewhere a tiny bit later down the road.

So in summary, depends how you look at it. Hopefully we win, more for the relative peace of on topic more than anything.

Martinez.

Cash.    Konsa.   Pau. (If fit)   Digne.

Bailey.    McGinn.   Luiz.     Ramsey.

Diaby.     Watkins.

Need to see a massive reaction from the United game. 

Ramsey/Diaby in particular need to start hitting some form.

Luiz can't be any worse than the other night.

I'd take nervy 2-1. UTV.

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well, it’s not a “must win” in the sense that we can feasibly (and realistically) finish in a champions league spot if we don’t beat Burnley.

That being said, we must win some games in order to achieve such a finish. 

So by that logic, some of the remaining 19 games ARE must win.

If we don’t win tomorrow, it will make one of the other 18 games more “must win”. If we do win, it will ease the pressure of getting points elsewhere a tiny bit later down the road.

So in summary, depends how you look at it. Hopefully we win, more for the relative peace of on topic more than anything.

I don't get this logic, neither would Emery.

We need to have the same mentality as the top teams, or we won't be finishing in the top 4 at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We need to have the same mentality as the top teams, or we won't be finishing in the top 4 at all.

We can develop this mentality we haven’t been a top team for years , they have. We should accept that it takes time.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If you don’t win Burnley at home, it makes winning away at Arsenal more important.

If you win Burnley at home, it slightly reduces the need to win away at Arsenal.

We’re going to need something like 32 more points (estimate, if you think 35, fair enough). If we pick up 3 on Saturday, that’s 3 fewer needed from the other 18. 

My point is, reaching the estimated required points total is the ultimate “must do”, not winning an individual game. Some individual games appear easier to help achieve that points total, but whether we get the points from Burnley or Arsenal doesn’t matter, as long as we get the points.

I’m sure Emery will treat this as a “must win” game. But I expect he treats every game as a “must win”. So debating how much a single game is a “must win” is somewhat redundant.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ceemo said:

First Saturday 3pm kick-off since the middle of September which is pretty ridiculous.

That's what happens when you play in European competition. At least we haven't let the congestion affect our consistency. I doubt many Villa supporters thought we would be where we are at this stage of the season. 

17 hours ago, dubbs said:

Have you read some of the comments on here? I'm delighted with our league position personally.

I think some are getting carried away with the reaction of some to the Boxing day defeat. People are still raw with the rollercoaster emotion of the game, so obviously comments straight after are going to be a bit over the top. However, that still doesn't justify our players total lack of focus and intensity. 

We're in a good place, but it's imperative that we get back to the Villa that beat Man City, that can't be a one - off performance, consistency is key, along with momentum. 

We will soon find out if players want to wallow in what happened against United. And, we all know the consequences of that kind of mentality. 

18 hours ago, bose said:

The mood is very pessimistic after the last few performances, understandably. The recent performances are a blip if you look at all of Unai’s tenure here.

I’d like to see Tim start if Tielemans is still out, some tired legs in that midfield, if he’s good enough then this match is as good as any other.

Understandably? I think the pessimism is beyond comprehension.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Understandably? I think the pessimism is beyond comprehension.

Nah don’t let the loudest noises get to you. I would say the majority is down after the manner of the result last time, but can still see the whole picture.

I think it’s normal to be dejected for a bit after that but now it’s inwards again.

• Like 1