HalfTimePost

The mood is very pessimistic after the last few performances, understandably. The recent performances are a blip if you look at all of Unai’s tenure here.

I’d like to see Tim start if Tielemans is still out, some tired legs in that midfield, if he’s good enough then this match is as good as any other.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

We won't be winning any Prem title chap if that's what you mean, an hardly fighting too hard for a CL place if we cannot manage to see off Burnley.

Never thought we would win the league 5th always the target for me and not beating Burnley does not alter that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I have no confidence in this team after the Utd collapse.

Please surprise me.

The same squad tat beat Man City and Arsenal in the space of 4 days or are we just focusing on that team at Utd ?

Edited by smg
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, smg said:

The same squad tat beat Man City and Arsenal in the space of 4 days or are we just focusing on that team at Utd ?

City game is the only game in the last 6 that I can say we have played well.

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

City game is the only game in the last 6 that I can say we have played well.

There’s a chance we might play well in some of the remaining games who knows they did it enough in the preceding games.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, smg said:

Never thought we would win the league 5th always the target for me and not beating Burnley does not alter that.

Burnley are one of the worst teams in the league, if we drop points to them at home right after dropping points to another poor team in Sheffield Utd then there is a valid reason to think that this squad doesn't have it in them to even finish 5th. 

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Tricky one for selection - for me, it's Ollie and one of Diaby, Bailey or Zaniolo - whenever we've tried more of them it's left us unbalanced.

The difficulty is that whilst we have loads of competition for that spot, we're thinner than my hair in the areas where we could really do with help.

If Pau is back, that will really help - and I think we can go with Konsa, Carlos, Torres and for this game Moreno - I think we'll be attacking more and I think Moreno brings more help - plus Digne has had a couple of knocks lately. If Emery does decide to go with more than one of Diaby, Bailey or Zaniolo then obviously Digne would come back in - we don't need a winger at full back if we're also playing two wingers.

It's in the middle that it's hard - we need four and with Kamara suspended and Tielemans out, we've pretty much only got five - so it'll have to be Dendoncker, Luiz, McGinn and Ramsey again, with Iroegbunam on the bench - some of those are looking a little tired and aren't quite at their best, but right now, we can't rest any of them unless Emery is feeling bold enough to start big Tim over a big name. The other option is to play Cash at right midfield (or at right wingback in a five) to enable one of those four to drop out - but he struggled last time out in the middle of the park and I'm not sure it works. I think we're one body light in there in terms of our squad.

It could well be worth looking at going to a five, either with Cash at right back or Konsa in a system that features four natural centre backs including Lenglet, who hasn't done much wrong in the games he's appeared in.

For me, i think I'd end up playing almost the same team as last night, but with Torres in for Lenglet and maybe Diaby in from the start - I think that should be enough.

----------------------------Martinez----------------------

Konsa-------Carlos--------Torres------Moreno

---------------Dendoncker---Luiz--------------------

------Mcginn----------------------------Ramsey----

----------------Diaby--------------------------------------

----------------------------Watkins----------------------

As much as I'll probably get stick, I'd take Ramsey out for Zaniolo (neither option is currently great but Ramsey has been very poor recently) and Diego Carlos was awful against Man Utd and I'm not sure deserves to start either. Cash is the only other option and move Konsa to centre back which is probably what I'd do, but just highlights how desperately we need a new defender in January. 

• Like 1

This game is important in the sense that's its our last game in 2023, and we don't have another PL game for over 2 weeks after it.

Also, after a draw and a loss in the last 2, it's also important that we get back to winning ways.

7 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

We're third in the league. This post is surreal.

Would be surprised to hear the half time boo's return if we go in level :crylaugh:

Edited by Kingman

3 hours ago, smg said:

Not beating Burnley does alter that, as if we can't beat them,  I'm not sure how we are gonna get past many others, luck maybe.

Play the fittest team available and grind out the win we can then regroup in January after putting a second team out in the fa cup. 

I doubt Burnley will play anti football in the way Sheffield did so this should be a good chance to get back into winning ways. 

Hopefully a win will cap off a ridiculously successful calendar year. 

Edited by DakotaVilla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Not beating Burnley does alter that, as if we can't beat them,  I'm not sure how we are gonna get past many others, luck maybe.

Well they managed it enough before Christmas.