VillaTalk Deadpool 2024

Xela

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Folk/rock drummer Gerry Conway (Fairport Convention,  Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens, etc.), 76. 

apparently most recently of Pentangle too, as he was married to Jacqui McShee.

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

apparently most recently of Pentangle too, as he was married to Jacqui McShee.

I originally included that, and took it out, to avoid having to answer the inevitable Terry Cox comments. He wasn't in the most recent version, anyway. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I originally included that, and took it out, to avoid having to answer the inevitable Terry Cox comments. He wasn't in the most recent version, anyway. 

Didnt know Gerry Conway but think Terry Cox played with (amongst others) Alexis Korner.

Chris Cross who was the bass player with Ultravox has passed away aged 71. Always remember him with his long hair in the video for Loves Great Adventure.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Chris Cross who was the bass player with Ultravox has passed away aged 71. Always remember him with his long hair in the video for Loves Great Adventure.

Oh man. Ultravox were unequivocally MY band as a young teenager. That band that you're really into. You buy all the records, albums, singles, picture discs.  You have their posters on your wall.  You go to every tour.

I drew the Rage In Eden album artwork on my schoolbag. 

This one really really **** hurts man. 😞😞

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh man. Ultravox were unequivocally MY band as a young teenager. That band that you're really into. You buy all the records, albums, singles, picture discs.  You have their posters on your wall.  You go to every tour.

I drew the Rage In Eden album artwork on my schoolbag. 

This one really really **** hurts man. 😞😞

I know exactly where you are coming from. You only have to see my Spotify playlist. Always enjoyed seeing them live.

• Like 1

Joe Flaherty, best know for the Canadian comedy show SCTV in the early 80's with Eugene Levy, John Candy, Catherine O'hara and Martin Short.  82 y.o.

Bad one for me this one. Legendary drummer Keith Le Blanc has passed away. Now as much as he was part of the On-U Sound set up and Tackhead he was also with Skip McDonald and Doug Wimbish the core nucleus of the studio musicians behind the Sugarhill label in other words Grand Master Flash et al. All three were together as that unit for 4 years before moving to the UK as a unit and becoming part of the On-U stable

He had a minor hit with No Sell Out which is credited as being the first Hip Hop tune to sample Malcolm X and one of the very first to use the sample based cut up technique from the dialogue of others. A record that was absolutely ground breaking. He also made a similar record during the Miners Strike and donated all proceeds to the miners.

To say he shaped the direction of early Hip Hop is not hyperbolic and later started pushing the boundaries of his Hip Hip beats with projects such as DJ Spike and others by pushing Hip Hop in an industrial direction 

Sad for me as Tackhead had reformed recently and I missed seeing them

For me, this is an all time classic

• Shocked 1

To the tune of Man in the Mirror:

I’m talking bout my boss Joe Kinnear,

He’s making changes to the team,

You don’t play well you’ll be out on your ear,

If you wanna make it back in the team you better get on the wing and cross balls…..in!

Peter Higgs, a giant of British science who came up with the idea of the Higgs boson particle, has died aged 94. 

From the sumo world, former yokozuna Akebono dead at 54. Probably not a big name to most. But back in the early 90s when Channel 4 used to cover the 15 days of a sumo tournament in one programme, he was one of the top dogs. Right from the era that first got me into sumo in the first place.

American born and the first non-Japanese yokozuna in history (top rank in sumo). A true pioneer.

4000.jpg?width=1900&dpr=1&s=none

• Like 1

reminder that both the drama show and the ESPN documentary are excellent, the documentary in particular

he was a fascinating snap shot of America - and not in a good way

Edited by villa4europe

I was listening to a podcast and they were recounting an interview OJ gave in which he was asked what he’d like his obituary to say. 

Apparently he replied “Well, I’d like to think they’d start by mentioning the football…”

Which I think we can agree was a fairly optimistic hope.

• Haha 3

I'm still amazed at how he got off but then you watch the documentaries that have been made and the fantastic People v OJ Simpson and you realise just how it happened. The racial climate of the time, the LAPD, the complete incompetance of the prosecutors and some very shady lawyering from the defence team that went very close to the line and in some cases danced across it.

Hell just isn't hot enough for "the Juice".

• Like 2

Â